Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Default He got sentenced to 37 months/Level 1, will he be home before 37 months?

I'm new at this and never dealt with prison or federal issues. But my husband just got sentenced 3 weeks ago in New York State and I have a lot of unanswered questions. He got sentenced to 37 months and is a level 1. Will he be home before the 37 months being his first time ever getting in trouble ? And if so how can he do it?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,816 Times in 16,494 Posts

Because your husband is Federal, I've moved your thread to the Federal forum so you will get Federal specific information

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshico View Post
I'm new at this and never dealt with prison or federal issues. But my husband just got sentenced 3 weeks ago in New York State and I have a lot of unanswered questions. He got sentenced to 37 months and is a level 1. Will he be home before the 37 months being his first time ever getting in trouble ? And if so how can he do it?
Because your husband was sentenced to more than 12months and a day, he will be eligible for good time credit (GTC) - there are links on this forum as to how to calculate this good time credit (FBOP math ugh!).. Depending on his charges, he may be eligible for RDAP and other similar programs that will release him to a halfway house - if he doesn't or can't take those programs, he can still go to a halfway house, for the last 10% of his sentence, or the max 6months.. So yes he may be home before the 37th month..

HTH, and welcome to PTO..
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,647 Times in 13,033 Posts

The way the bop calculates good time is 47 days for each year of his sentence, so he will earn 145 days off of his 37 month sentence, or a little less than 5 months. He can spend the end of his remaining sentence of almost 32 months in a half way house near your home (usually 10% or 3 to 4 months). He will still be in bop custody, but will be able to get a job and earn money while he is there. It is also possible to be allowed to leave the HWH to live at home on "home confinement", but that depends on the HWH rules.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Thank you for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKLTS2798 View Post
Because your husband was sentenced to more than 12months and a day, he will be eligible for good time credit (GTC) - there are links on this forum as to how to calculate this good time credit (FBOP math ugh!).. Depending on his charges, he may be eligible for RDAP and other similar programs that will release him to a halfway house - if he doesn't or can't take those programs, he can still go to a halfway house, for the last 10% of his sentence, or the max 6months.. So yes he may be home before the 37th month..

HTH, and welcome to PTO..
Thank you so much for help. Like I said I'm new at this and trying to learn everything possible. So he's level 1 and its a conspiracy charge first time ever in trouble with the law. Would he poss be eligible for the drug program or does he have to wait and freak with his counselor ? He's still at a holding place and has not been placed at the actual place where he will stay at yet. Which we think is a camp
The Following User Says Thank You to pshico For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,647 Times in 13,033 Posts

His sentence is long enough for him to take RDAP if he otherwise qualifies, but just barely, so he needs to bring it up as soon as he meets with his unit team. They will tell him if he can take RDAP, and if he is eligible to receive additional time off of his sentence when he completes the program.