Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:11 PM
4EVRNMYHRT

Default I Need Your Help, Please!-false positive on drug test

Can anyone tell me if Prilosec and Zantac have the same ingredients that would effect a meth. test? We know that if you take Zantac that it can make you test positive on a meth urine test. Does anyone know if Prilosec will do the same? Hope someone can help me quick. I need info on this, if you know of a website please let me know.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,091 Times in 568 Posts

I do not know for a fact that both have all the same ingredients. Even if they have the same ingredients, the binders maybe different and perhaps that is where the positive tests could be coming from.

Have you tried a Search Engine maybe like Google, or Jeeves?

What about calling a Pharmacist, perhaps they could tell you?

I have never heard of this sorry!

Good luck to you.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Last edited by babygirl350; 04-03-2005 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Misread question
Old 04-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Account Closed

I've never heard of this, either. But, the answer is no. Ranitidine is a metabolite of Zantac, but not Prilosec.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 PM
4EVRNMYHRT

Well from what I have found they have two different active ingredients. But I have found the compound is quiet the same. He has to prove that they both have both of the same ingredient, not neccesary the active so this is what I have found so ya tell me what you think.
Prilosec:5-methoxy-2-[[4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H
formula: C17H19N3O3S

Zantac:N[2-[[[5-(dimethylamino)methyl]2-furanyl]methyl]thio]ethyl]-N'-methyl-2nitro-1
formula:C13H22N4O3S
Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
4EVRNMYHRT

I will be calling the pharmacy tomorrow and I will be checking with the Lab. at the hospital tomorrow also. I've looked everywhere possible for the information. I don't know if what I have posted will work or not but it's worth a dang try. It's just very frustration, you have a guy that has been clean for 5 years and then he gets moved to a work center and gets tested for meth (only the 2nd time in 5 yr) and he gets a positive. He has never been given it before because he does take stomach med. and we know Zantac will give you a positive so now we have to prove that Prilosec will. He's been to 5 different facilities and he is just now been given the drug test for meth. I truly believe in my heart he has not done anything, he has to much to lose plus the dir. of doc is the one that just moved him so he would be closer to his mother. and the dir. looked at his records before ever moving him so he knows that he has been clean.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Account Closed

When ranitidine (Zantac) metabolizes in the system, in can cause a false positive. Prilosec does not contain ranitidine, so there is no proving that it caused the positive result.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Account Closed

http://www.keystosaferschools.com/dr..._specifics.htm

About 1/2 way down the page is the section on methamphetamine.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Ok this is not going to be the most popular response, and I am prepared to stand by what I see every week.

The only thing that is going to cause a positive on amphetimine, or methamphetimine is Meth.

I have heard of cold tablets causing a false positive, but I take allergy medicine daily for the last 3 years, and have taken 300 mg of zantac daily for the last 8 years at least and I have tested with the tests I have at work that test for methamphetamine,
cocaine, opiates, THC. and have NEVER tested positive for drugs. If it's done at a lab, they can see exactly what is causing a positive test, but I am convinced that when I have tested someone from treatment when they come back from weekend passes
testing positive for something, they may not admit it then, but 5 months or 5 years down the line, they have come and admitted that they did in fact use. I am not saying your bf has used, but to me I would question why a positive test came up.

Good luck you two

Old 04-06-2005, 05:49 PM
4EVRNMYHRT

Well we know that other stomach med will cause you to have false positives and some of the guards even told him that prilosec would cause you to have false positives. I just don't believe in my heart that he has done anything, I'm not blind to this. I know anything is possible but why would he wait 5 years to use. It just doesn't make no sense. There are a lot of things that just adding up. Why would he remind them to drug test him if he was using? Why would he be asked to be moved closer to home and know anyday he could be moved if he was using? Why hasn't he been tested for the past five years for it if there was not something in the stomach med? He has the best things in his life right now and I know he would not jeopardize losing everything he has again. He know's I will not stand for such stupidness, he knows that I would be gone if I truly believed it.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:12 PM

I'm taking ranitidine and I came up for possitive for meth in a drug test today. So embarassing. Guess I didn't get that job. I'm going to call my doctor and see if it truely causes a false possitive result so I can challenge it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Closed

Substances or Conditions which can cause false positives for testing for Amphetamines:

Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine, or desoxyephedrine
(Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, etc)
Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil
Over-the-counter diet aids with phenylpropanolamine (Dexatrim, Accutrim)
Over-the-counter nasal sprays (Vicks inhaler, Afrin)
Asthma medications (Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets)
Prescription medications (Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone,phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine,dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine,amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex,fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin,pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone) Kidney infection, kidney disease, Liver disease, diabetes

Meth varies by location as far as specific ingredients. If you have not been using illicit drugs then I suggest you appeal it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Closed

Prilosec's generic name is omeprazole though it is not listed on lab test pages as an interferring drug. If you havent been using meth then perhaps it was something else that interferred with the results.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Keepthefaith

I can tell you by bad experience...PharmChem submitted two false positive drug tests for meth on me. I went back to prison for this violation for a period of two years. I was CLEAN!!!! Once I was released I found that PharmChem had been having problems with false positives (they had even admitted to in a decision by the GAO when they were being reviewed for problems and lost their contract with the United States Courts and US Probation). There was no other substance that caused them...the quantity levels of any meth in my urine were ZERO, but the judge, probation officer and my public defender never even looked at the Quantity Level of drugs...they just looked at the word POSITIVE on my GC/MS test results. I spent two additional years in prison because the lab made a MISTAKE!!! All the information regarding PharmChem's PROBLEMS are very well documented online in the GAO's decision. Search PharmChem False Positive Urinalysis...use Google!!
They can't give me those years back and they won't even acknowledge what they did to me.

Tammie
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 AM

omeprazole, I have heard can cause false positives...but this is just from one psychiatrist. I will help look into this further.

I have stated in a prior post that yes it is possible that there are certain medications that can test false positive for meth, it would take an awful lot of the medication in order to do so.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Keepthefaith

It was not any other medication or substance that caused the false positive...actually the drug test was correct in that I have zero quantity levels of meth or any drug in my system. The zero was correct, the word "positive" out beside the quantity level was what was wrong!!!

This was lab error, not some substance interferring with the test. I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone else...most people don't know how to read a drug test...it doesn't come with instructions, for the defendant, the judge, or anyone else!!! How can they get away with this???

Tammie
Old 05-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Closed

Twarner, your situation is a legal flaw in the law. There is a good article on this in the Drug War forum: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...08#post1941608
Please feel free to post your opinions on that thread.
Hope this helped.

Drugs that will give a false positive for Meth are listed in post 11 and 12 of this thread. If you have consumed any of those medications and can prove you have been prescribed one of these drugs it is grounds for an appeal since they are recognized in labs and legally as giving false positives.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafngator
Can anyone tell me if Prilosec and Zantac have the same ingredients that would effect a meth. test? We know that if you take Zantac that it can make you test positive on a meth urine test. Does anyone know if Prilosec will do the same? Hope someone can help me quick. I need info on this, if you know of a website please let me know.
i have heard about prilosec. one of my friend use it. i will ask then i will tell you
Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Keepthefaith

If you are testing positive there will be a "Quantity Level" of "meth" also reported in the test. If the Quantity Level is "Zero", it is a "false-positive". So therefore, my first question is what kind of drug test are they doing? Is it the initial "EMIT" test, or a "GC/MS" Confirmation test? Ask your PO...you have a right to know..and it matters!!!! You also have a right to see your results and have them explained to you by the lab, not your PO. PO's do not know how to read a lab result beyond the word "Positive". The word "positive" or "negative" are the least important items returned by a drug test...the most important information on the test report is the "Quantity Level"...first of all it must reach above the "Cut-Off Level" for the drug being tested for. This cut-off level is a quantity level set by law to determine actual "knowing and wrongful use of controlled substances". If your Quantity Level does not reach above the cut-off level, this is the first indication that there is positively something wrong with your drug test. Be sure to do this...it will probably keep you from being revoked and sent back to prison. If I had known when I got my bad tests I could've avoided spending an additional 2 years in prison!!!!! Let me know if you need more information...I've got lots of it!

Tammie
Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 AM

Well, let me start by saying im 8 months pregnant, live in tx, and on probation. I had to go to court in another county (nothing to do with probation) for something that happened a year ago. They asked for a drug test I said NO PROB. did the test and it came back positive for meth 2 times. Im CLEAN!! they sent it to a lab then the judge sent me to an idependent lab within 30 mins. well the one from the court the are saying came back slightly positive(what tha hell) the other one was neg. well they alerted my P.O and they called me in for one of there test a day later came back neg.Well the only thing im talking is zantac 150 for heartburn. I have done lots of looking on the internet and there is report of it causing false positives. long story short got court agian wed. sept 13th for the jugde to decide if Ishould go to jail... what should I do?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
4EVRNMYHRT

I can tell you any acidic medicine can cause a false positive. I done a lot of research on this. Try to obtain a copy of the pamplet for the test itself. I obtain one for "teststik" and it says it in there that acidic medicine will cause a false positive. Good luck. you can also do a test with your hair folical, it will be the most acurrate. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Keepthefaith

False positives can be cleared up by requesting from your probation officer, or employer, that a GC/MS confirmation test be done. If the Quantity Level result in the GC/MS is below the Cut-Off Level, it is a false positive!

Tammie
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Not likely...

The only thing I would offer is I take an OTC stomach med similar to what you're talking about and on several occasions, I have mistaken cold medicine for the stomach med...similar shape, size and color. Is it possible he took something that could cause a false positive without knowing it? Having spent 14 years on the other side of things, I can tell you a positive for any kind of amphetamine is next to impossible without relatively recent use and is viewed very dimly.

Conversely, never just roll over. Pursue additional testing, verification, etc. Get as much information as possible about the test, their procedures, etc. Scrutinize every detail you can obtain. I have done a lot of testing and can tell you mistakes, while uncommon, are definitely made and if procedures are even slightly deviated...you have an argument to throw the test out.

Final flip side is, we all think we know somebody, right up until they screw you when you have your back turned.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,988 Times in 7,361 Posts

Just in case you haven't noticed, this thread is almost 7 years old.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarner View Post
I can tell you by bad experience...PharmChem submitted two false positive drug tests for meth on me. I went back to prison for this violation for a period of two years. I was CLEAN!!!! Once I was released I found that PharmChem had been having problems with false positives (they had even admitted to in a decision by the GAO when they were being reviewed for problems and lost their contract with the United States Courts and US Probation). There was no other substance that caused them...the quantity levels of any meth in my urine were ZERO, but the judge, probation officer and my public defender never even looked at the Quantity Level of drugs...they just looked at the word POSITIVE on my GC/MS test results. I spent two additional years in prison because the lab made a MISTAKE!!! All the information regarding PharmChem's PROBLEMS are very well documented online in the GAO's decision. Search PharmChem False Positive Urinalysis...use Google!!
They can't give me those years back and they won't even acknowledge what they did to me.
i feel for you i am about to be sent for three to five for yesting positive for weed and have not smoked but am having kidney problems and keep testing postive for weed such buklshit