Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison News & Events Post articles and news worthy events for New York in this forum.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM

Post Releasing 2000 inmates?(WOW)

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/525371.html I just read this a little while ago...Their about to release 2000 inmates from NYS prisons. I wish it would be Daddy but I'm not going to hold my breath. It would be a great christmas present though

Last edited by brooks; 12-29-2008 at 08:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie68 For This Useful Post:
MrsChamp75 (12-19-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie68 View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/525371.html I just read this a little while ago...Their about to release 2000 inmates from NYS prisons. I wish it would be Daddy but I'm not going to hold my breath. It would be a great christmas present though
They're not going to just release 2000 inmates. What will likely happen is that there will be legislation passed which will accelerate conditional release dates, or grant additional merit time.

PJ.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 PM

That is wonderful...it only makes sense, depending on the severity of the crime.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Wonder if this has anything to do with my guy getting his parole? His hearing was just 1 week before this story hit the papers.

My guy is currently at Wyoming and he has said that many people have gotten "Hit" at their herings. Yet, on the day of hi hearing, he got it and so did a couple other guys @ Wyoming.

Live life for yourself first & foremost!

Old 12-25-2008, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't count on this happening. This Governor has proposed budgets that aren't going to pass too easily. Do you see he also wants to lay off state employees and cut benefits? Not many people are going to vote this budget in. He's already cut prison farming programs and doubled up dorms in some medium facilities. My uncle is at Mid Orange and he said the fights and the adrenaline is flying where the men have been doubled up and at the same time he wants to cut staff? Something isn't going to work. I know there was a merit time bill in process before Spitzer left. Spitzer was an ass, but he did alot for inmates. I don't know what Patterson's take is on the prison system and inmates, but I wouldn't celebrate this budget and anyone being released too soon. That merit bill was supposed to be re-introduced but I haven't heard anything new about it. I believe it was called "The Montgomery Bill" after a congress woman??

Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,379 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default Actually a budget bill has been submitted by the Governor

to BOTH the Senate and assembly that allows 6 month acceleration of CR dates (for determintae offenders) and a 6 month acceleration of parole board dates (for indeterminate sentenced offenders) WHO MEET CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Please read here:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/WAM/20081216/a156.pdf

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 12-28-2008, 09:11 PM

I agree,as a State emloyee, this budget as proposed is not going to pass. Remember he wants to get ELECTED in 2010 and as it stands now he is not pleasing many. I do however, see this proposal as a huge cost saving measure which means this may indeed fly...time will tell. DOCS is the one of the most costly State agencies, we can only hope and you can bet that I have sent my letter of support to my ssembly and congessmen/woman.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM

GO HERE AND SIGN THE LETTER TO PATERSON:

http://www.droptherock.org/?p=86
Old 01-05-2009, 09:09 AM

I am sorry... I dont understand much of this if any at all... Did anyone follow the link and read it? If so and you understood - could you brake it down to a kids level so I can understand? Thank you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Ann View Post
to BOTH the Senate and assembly that allows 6 month acceleration of CR dates (for determintae offenders) and a 6 month acceleration of parole board dates (for indeterminate sentenced offenders) WHO MEET CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Please read here:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/WAM/20081216/a156.pdf
Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
mistyone

I'll give this a try - the wording is very confusing. To be eligible for a six month credit time allowance an inmate must:

1) Not be convicted of murder in the first degree, OR of conspiracy to commit murder or attempted murder1 if he/she is also sentenced for any A-1 felony except criminal possession, a violent felony, or any type of homocide.

2) Not have lost any good time for disciplinary reasons.

3) Have completed "significant programmatic accomplishment" meaning

a- at least two years of college programs
b- a masters degree
c- at least two years as an inmate program associate
d- recieves Dept. of Labor certification in an apprenticeship program,or
e- at least two years as an inmate hospice aid.

4) Not have filed any frivilous lawsuits or claims against the Department of Corrections or the State.

5) Not have a serious disciplinary infraction or a overall poor institutional record as determined by the commissioner.

If an inmate is eligible, his/her release date would be six months before the conditional release date. In the case of someone with a maximum sentence of life he/she would be eligible for release six months before the completion of the minimum period of incarceration.

If the six month credit makes the release date before the parole eligibility date, the parole date will be moved back as well.

I am not a lawyer and this is only my interpretation of this proposed law.