Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss New Jersey prison & jail visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:52 AM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Default It's about NJ Prisoner-Made Phone Calls Again!!!

I have been receiving some letters from men [primarily at Trenton] who have informed me that a memo has been circulating throughout the prison informing the men that there "may be" [translation "will be"] an increase the cost of prisoner-initiated phone calls due to the change in phone vendors. This is all very interesting b/c there is still no new contract between the State and this vendor by the name of Globel Tel-Link [read their info. from their website and it will surely make you ill---http://www.gtl.us/] who promote themself as "The Ultimate Correctional Solution"--[sounds a little too much like gestapo for my taste...as in the "ultimate solution"]. Like I said this is interesting b/c the last credible info. I had is that the State [not the DOC] awarded the contract to AT&T. From what I have learned Globel Tel-Link is not a subsidiary of AT&T or anything like that!

Anyway, in AJFA's on-going quest [that has been going on for a few years now] to do something about the prisoner phone system, I need to know if any of you have seen an increase in your phone bills from calls made by those in NJ prisons. And if so, what is the difference, cost-wise. Feel free to share this info. via this thread and/or PM me. Ideally I would like to get a hold of a copy of your current phone bill and a copy of a bill from a few months ago [not the whole bill, I just need the pages showing what you pay for a prisoner-made phone call] if you have recently experienced an increase in the cost of calls.

I'm wondering too, if Trenton is the first to see this change and eventually it will be implemented in other prisons throughout the State as well!!!

I'm doing some more digging and getting some others [with better avenues to investigate] to work on this as well. As I learn more, I will keep you informed.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

I can tell you it costs me $9.00 for 15 minutes for a state call vs. $1.67 for 15 minutes when he was in the county. If they raise the rate I will stop paying state taxes and go to jail for NJ tax evasion--I'm not playing!!!! Why can't they do like NY and allow us to put money on their books so they can make these phone calls? It is the most logical thing to do, is it not? Oops, this is NJ not NY, sorry about that--lost my mind for a minute.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Account Closed

It costs me $9.75 for 15 minutes but it has been this for the last year.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Wishing you were here...
Donation Award 

I haven't had an increase YET!! Thank God!! I don't want one!!!! I have PCO though...but I figure if the calls went up...PCO would altimately have to go up to, right?!?! I hope they don't increase the calls soon!! I still hear the AT&T collect call recording...so IDK if it's gonna be changed to Global Tel-Link!! Thanks for the info/warning Elaine!! Hugs
-Jackie
Old 10-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Almost Done!

Thank God I also have PCO. Before it was costing me $20 a call because I live in NY. Now with PCO it only cost me $5.99 a call. Boy, How I hope that it doesn't go up.
I really don't understand why they don't have to pay for these calls out of their commissary.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Patiently Waiting

well when my friend was in annadale it was only like 5/6 dollars for 15 min and that was at&t, but now he is at Bo Robinson which is in trenton and they use idl which is way more expensive I don't know the per min rate, but for a 59 min call it was like 30 dollars and once your bill goes over $200 they cut off all phone calls which makes me pissed b/c we have automatic debit and our bill is never late and it takes them a long time before the inmates can call again. Plus we have a lot of services on our phone so this rule is not fair, but Egs any info you can get will be great. They said they might try to get a pre-pay system similar to the one you can get with your cell phone.

Last edited by stylesgsgirl; 10-18-2005 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-31-2005, 09:14 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

NJDOC awarded the contract to AT&T. My husband said they will be putting out a memo about it soon. It will be billed through CBS--like the county jails. If your account exceeds a certain amount, they will block the calls until it is paid.