Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,175 Times in 8,183 Posts
Default Commutation forms in post-Brown era

Has anyone filed a commutation under the new administration? I can't, for the life of me, find anything about applying for commutation on Newsom's site. When I go to the old page, it directs me to the archived page which isn't the updated form. I've reached out to them, no response.

I'm starting to feel like he has a lot of priorities that have nothing to do with corrections. Kind of a letdown after the last year of Brown's hard hitting approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (04-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2019, 11:50 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Has anyone filed a commutation under the new administration? I can't, for the life of me, find anything about applying for commutation on Newsom's site. When I go to the old page, it directs me to the archived page which isn't the updated form. I've reached out to them, no response.

I'm starting to feel like he has a lot of priorities that have nothing to do with corrections. Kind of a letdown after the last year of Brown's hard hitting approach.
Our new Governor in his first few days as Governor, has been a big let down.
He is giving a lot of lip service. For the forms for commutation you have to use the forms in the archives. Basically at this time it is the same process as before just no new current forms at our present Governors web site. Our present Governor is to busy out of the country pushing a different agenda against the administration in Washington D.C.
This is off the topic but I am retaking the course on. How to calculate credits for inmates at CDCR. This is my third time to take this course. Every time I take this course and the CDCR Resentencing Recommendations (AB 1812) 1170(d)(1) P.C. I leave more confused then when I went in . Some of it is finally sinking in.(My mind just doesn't absorb this crap any more ) I am seeing some of the same people in these courses from previous times also .
miamac (04-10-2019), sidewalker (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Site Moderator

Thanks, Patrick. Yeah...four months in office and he's headed on a trip but I can't get a solid answer from his office on who has replaced the last commutation contact (I think it's Onishi, but without contact info I'm not able to reach him, either). It's extremely frustrating. Husband has letters of support that have now expired because he was told to wait until the new commutation forms were released.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:

We're having the same issue. I wasn't even able to find it in the archives. I should have known to print multiple copies when Brown's site was up and running.....
The Following User Says Thank You to AshB2020 For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,360 Posts

I'm all for a recall of Greasy Gavin. The only problem with going Progressive...go too far left and you get quacks like that.

Also, unfortunately, I don't know where the new commutation forms are. I think Gavin's more concerned with talking crap about Trump than actually accomplishing anything as Governor. I'm tempted to run in 2022 as a Republican just to spite him.

To make this topic-relevant, I pledge in my first 100 days in office to restore the commutation forms.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-10-2019), Patrickj (04-11-2019), sidewalker (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator

Looky!
New forms are up. (did we summon this with our thread? lol)
Be sure to read each section. There are different instructions that were not on Brown's page. New applications, re-applying and a medical release if that is a part of your request for commutation.

Happy Applying!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-11-2019), Itshardtowait (04-11-2019), Patrickj (04-11-2019), sidewalker (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:
Looky!
New forms are up. (did we summon this with our thread? lol)
Be sure to read each section. There are different instructions that were not on Brown's page. New applications, re-applying and a medical release if that is a part of your request for commutation.

Happy Applying!

Gavin heard I was running and was quaking in his boots, especially since I've got a great nickname for him that he won't be able to shake

Good to know someone's got these up.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-11-2019), Patrickj (04-11-2019), sidewalker (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 06:39 PM

PTO Moderator 

Got to love this same forms just with the new Governor 's name. We thought Brown was Bad but Newsom will teach us all more reasons about far left philosophy Far left or far right is not good for anyone. California is going to hell in a hand basket to fast,
Old 06-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Site Moderator

Default AB 2845, Commutation Process Reform

Can anyone tell me if this has been implemented? I see nothing on the commutation site.

4812(sec 4)(d) The board shall provide electronic or written notification to an applicant after the board receives the application, and when the board has issued a recommendation on the application. Nothing in this section requires the board to notify the applicant as to the reasons for the board’s recommendation, which shall remain confidential.

Page 11 of this document offers plain-English explanations of the proposed reform.

It took Newsom's office months and months to update their site with the forms, so I'm thinking they haven't yet. But the guys who have filed are asking about confirmation of receipt and not receiving anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (06-22-2019), Patrickj (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:00 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if this has been implemented? I see nothing on the commutation site.

4812(sec 4)(d) The board shall provide electronic or written notification to an applicant after the board receives the application, and when the board has issued a recommendation on the application. Nothing in this section requires the board to notify the applicant as to the reasons for the board’s recommendation, which shall remain confidential.

Page 11 of this document offers plain-English explanations of the proposed reform.

It took Newsom's office months and months to update their site with the forms, so I'm thinking they haven't yet. But the guys who have filed are asking about confirmation of receipt and not receiving anything.

I didn't find you much help,In my hunt today I called the Governors office I spoke to a lady that knew less then me on this subject. When I inquired about when the inmate will receive notification. Her response was. " They will notify the inmate electronically" My response to this was . How does the inmate get to a computer or laptop to read such information? Her response was. "That is a good question. Let me refer your call over to Board of Prison Term."
The person at Board of Prison terms. Told me " We are still working on the notification process. I ask her Isn't there any kind of time restraints in this process for you people to respond. Her "come back was one year" I asked again a year from when? Then she got nasty with me. Rudely "told me that I needed to contact the inmates attorney for further information. Becasue I was asking for confidential information." From all this B.S I got today I don't think they have there procedures in black and white, Or else BPH is just doing what they want to do. All that I can say is I personally I think they are still working on the notification issues and confirmation of receipt. Not much help sorry. Lets just keep our eyes on the Governors office.
Halo527 (06-22-2019), mhrndz82 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
All that I can say is I personally I think they are still working on the notification issues and confirmation of receipt. Not much help sorry. Lets just keep our eyes on the Governors office.
What you went through is pretty much what we've personally always gotten from Sac when we reach out. Thank you so much for trying! And yes, my guess is that they're just slow as mud because this doesn't make their job easier (though, you'd think reducing the number of repeat applications would be a bonus).
Halo527 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:29 PM
Site Moderator

This was posted on an IFC page and is based on the document I link below for "plain English" explanations. Sounds like it will be informative, but you can't talk about what isn't created yet, so that should be interesting.

Obtaining a commutation is one pathway to freedom for those who are currently incarcerated in state prison. A commutation is a type of clemency granted by the Governor that doesn't change or reverse a conviction; rather, it allows the Governor to reduce or eliminate a person's sentence.
Last year, we helped draft and advocate for the successful passage of AB 2845, a state law that increases transparency and access in California's pardon and commutation process. We invite you to learn more about California's commutation process and AB 2845 during our free webinar on Monday, July 15th from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM.
To RSVP, complete this form by July 12
https://register.gotowebinar.com/regist…/7625141025539095819
The webinar will explain:
California's commutation process;
How to prepare a compelling commutation application; Increased transparency and accessibility protections provided by AB 2845; and California Penal Code 1170(d)(1), which recently went into effect and allows courts to recall and resentence any individual in state prison based on a recommendation from the Secretary of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the Board of Parole Hearings, or the county correctional administrator.
The webinar is aimed at community members interested in helping others apply for a commutation, family members who are assisting a loved one with a commutation application, and private and nonprofit attorneys.*
WHEN: July 15, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm (PST) / 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm (EST)
WHERE: From your phone and or computer device
Presenters include:
Angela Chan, Policy Director & Senior Staff Attorney, Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus
Caitlin Henry, Attorney & Co-Founder, Prison Advocacy Network
Colby Lenz, Organizer, Survived and Punished Coalition
Ny Nourn, Yuri Kochiyama Fellow, Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus
Kelly Savage, Organizer, California Coalition for Women Prisoners
Tobias Tubbs, Re-entry Coordinator, West Adams Crop Swap
Candace Chavez Wilson, Organizer, Families United to End LWOP

The webinar is co-sponsored by California Coalition for Women Prisoners, Families United to End LWOP, Survived and Punished Coalition, Words Uncaged, Prisoner Advocacy Network, and National Lawyers Guild San Francisco Bay Area.
We look forward to having you join us for an informative webinar!
Halo527 (06-22-2019)