Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Love Dont Run<3

Default Do they always get sent far away at first?

My fiance is in county jail right now but got sentenced to 21.4 months in prison.
I was wondering if he will be sent to a prison far away or if there's a chance he could go to a nearby prison. I've always heard they get sent far away first.

This is my first time ever having to deal with something like this so I'm completely clueless.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,304 Times in 978 Posts

There's no rule that says where they get sent location-wise relative to home. It depends on their program and custody needs.

Unfortunately it does seem though like a large portion of inmates from Central Florida end up in the panhandle. Population means they have more inmates to house from that area (C. FL) than they have facilities in that area. There is a large density of facilities in the panhandle relative to the amount of inmates that area generates, so a lot of inmates from other areas of the state get sent to those facilities up there.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Account Closed

They will first go to the reception center. There are 2 reception centers for South Region - South Florida Recption Center in Doral and Central Florida Reception Center in Orlando and in the North Region there is Northwest Florida Reception Center in Chipley and Reception and Medical Center in Lake Butler. I believe that for reception you are sent to the closet reception center to where they are in county (if I am incorrect, I will be corrected LOL) My husband was in St. Lucie County and was sent to CFRC in Orlando, it was the closest to us. As far as permanent housing, there are many factors in making the decisions to where they will be housed such as bed availabilty and things of that nature. The DOC says that they do not purposely send them far away that once again it has different factors that determine the location. With that being said they also say that if they do know of gang relations that they generally tend to send them away from the area where the gangs are located for security reasons. I don't remember where I read that but I do know that it was somewhere on the FLDOC website (which you can find alot of information on there site). Now, in my personal opinion and experience I feel in my heart that they do send them far away. Once again, that is totally my OPINION. My husband has only been in 2 facilities since he has been incarcerated. The first institution was 8hrs away and where he is currently housed is 9hrs away. I don't think they want to make anything easy on the inmates or families. But don't dwell on what could happen because you never know, I have heard some families say that there loved ones are relatively close. I don't know how anyone else deals with this, but I try to live "One day at a Time". I wish in the begining I would have held this attitude becuase I truly mad myself sick with worry and wondering what could happen and why this didnt happen etc. The DOC has rules that they have to follow and there is not much we can do about things. All we can do is hope and pray that our loved ones are healthy and safe and return to us in one piece, mentally and physically. Just keep in mind that this is a wonderful site and they are many people that can answers any questions you may have. And don't worry, no question is a silly question because I am sure most of us have had crazy questions at one time or another. Without this site, I don't know how I would have made it thru this process. We are down 2yrs and 1 to go!! Good Luck to you and your fiance!!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Love Dont Run<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyA68 View Post
They will first go to the reception center. There are 2 reception centers for South Region - South Florida Recption Center in Doral and Central Florida Reception Center in Orlando and in the North Region there is Northwest Florida Reception Center in Chipley and Reception and Medical Center in Lake Butler. I believe that for reception you are sent to the closet reception center to where they are in county (if I am incorrect, I will be corrected LOL) My husband was in St. Lucie County and was sent to CFRC in Orlando, it was the closest to us. As far as permanent housing, there are many factors in making the decisions to where they will be housed such as bed availabilty and things of that nature. The DOC says that they do not purposely send them far away that once again it has different factors that determine the location. With that being said they also say that if they do know of gang relations that they generally tend to send them away from the area where the gangs are located for security reasons. I don't remember where I read that but I do know that it was somewhere on the FLDOC website (which you can find alot of information on there site). Now, in my personal opinion and experience I feel in my heart that they do send them far away. Once again, that is totally my OPINION. My husband has only been in 2 facilities since he has been incarcerated. The first institution was 8hrs away and where he is currently housed is 9hrs away. I don't think they want to make anything easy on the inmates or families. But don't dwell on what could happen because you never know, I have heard some families say that there loved ones are relatively close. I don't know how anyone else deals with this, but I try to live "One day at a Time". I wish in the begining I would have held this attitude becuase I truly mad myself sick with worry and wondering what could happen and why this didnt happen etc. The DOC has rules that they have to follow and there is not much we can do about things. All we can do is hope and pray that our loved ones are healthy and safe and return to us in one piece, mentally and physically. Just keep in mind that this is a wonderful site and they are many people that can answers any questions you may have. And don't worry, no question is a silly question because I am sure most of us have had crazy questions at one time or another. Without this site, I don't know how I would have made it thru this process. We are down 2yrs and 1 to go!! Good Luck to you and your fiance!!
Thank you! He will be going to Orlando. I sure hope they don't send him too far. I worry it will have to be far because he is going to have to be in a drug rehab program when he goes. There's a prison 5minutes from my house -- my friends boyfriends been there for 3 years so I guess all I can do is pray! I've been worrying that some of my questions are crazy sounding so it makes me feel better i'm not the only one! lol. I've been trying to stay strong but it's hard sometimes. I have my weak days. He was sentenced to 21.4 months. But by the time he's done with reception & time served he will have about 7 months in already. I pray that it goes fast. :/
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Waiting for Mike

It's not just the gang members they send far away. My 40 something computer geek minimum custody husband got sent over 7 hours away from home. They send them where they have bed space....and that's quite frequently the panhandle if you are from NE or Central FL.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Account Closed

I know it's not just gang memyers because my husband is also not a gang member and he was sent not 9hrs away. We didn't even live in South Florida. We lived on the Treasure Coast about 45mins north of west palm. Like i said before I think they like making it difficult for the men to have visitors. Yes, I know what it is like to have a prison in your back door and they are moved so fat away. We lived in St Lucie County and there is a prison in marting county 30mins away. Evern though we would have been close to him it isan institution that we are happy that he is not it. Not a very nice place. My husband is currently at wakulla annex and there are at least 2 dozen men from out eara. He has been on the waiting list fot Ft.Pierce work camp. It is literally 10mins away from my mother in laws. He keeps saying that it should be anytime now that they are just waiting on a bed. I dont heart to tell him that it may very well take the rest of the time he has left to get the transfer.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Love Dont Run<3

The judge wants him to go to a prison that has a drug rehab program.. that worries me a lot cause i heard there aren't a whole lot of places that have them. The one by my house has one but I can almost guarantee I wont get that lucky. Weve had nothing but bad luck from day one.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Waiting for Mike

There are about a dozen or so locations around the state that house the Modality program. My husband was at one of them at Walton.

Be aware...if he is placed in line for the program, even if he is so far down on the waiting list that he will never get into the program before his release date, DOC will require that he will be sent to a Modality camp. Even if, like I said, he will never actually get into the program because he's so far down the waiting list he'll never make it to the top. And he will not be allowed to transfer anywhere that does not have Modality as long as he is on that waiting list.

He'll get to the top of the waiting list much faster if the judge ORDERED the treatment for him rather than just suggested it. It's all in the wording of the sentencing details.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Love Dont Run<3

I can't remember if she ordered it or just recommended it. :/
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsgirl View Post
I can't remember if she ordered it or just recommended it. :/
As his advocate on the outside, you should have a copy of his official sentencing notes in your files for reference. Have his attorney help you get them if you need to. You'd be surprised how often you may need to reference them.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Love Dont Run<3

Thank you. We just had a public defender -- would he be able to give me a copy?
I know tomorrow he's sending me out his discovery and all other papers he has.
I'm so lost when it comes to all of this.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Quote:
Thank you! He will be going to Orlando. I sure hope they don't send him too far. I worry it will have to be far because he is going to have to be in a drug rehab program when he goes. There's a prison 5minutes from my house -- my friends boyfriends been there for 3 years so I guess all I can do is pray! I've been worrying that some of my questions are crazy sounding so it makes me feel better i'm not the only one! lol. I've been trying to stay strong but it's hard sometimes. I have my weak days. He was sentenced to 21.4 months. But by the time he's done with reception & time served he will have about 7 months in already. I pray that it goes fast. :/
I could walk to two facilities from my house...he was sent a hundred miles east. It totally depends on what their level of security, medical/psych needs, and bed availability. Don't set your sights on the one close to home. Look at everything and research. I was happy he wasn't sent further.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Go ahead and bookmark Chapter 33 on the DOC website while you are at it. You will need to refer to it often. Pick your battles. Watch your tone when you talk to anyone with the DOC. Be his advocate but don't jump. I've seen people get into a world of hurt that way.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Love Dont Run<3

Okay thanks -- I'm gonna look it up.

I'm hoping for the best but preparing myself for the worst.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Waiting for Mike

Quote:
Thank you. We just had a public defender -- would he be able to give me a copy?
I know tomorrow he's sending me out his discovery and all other papers he has.
I'm so lost when it comes to all of this.
Yes the sentencing paperwork should be in his files.