Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Kentucky Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
MissinMiGremlin

Question Receiving calls on cell phones?

My fiance told me if I got a pre paid cell phone and had money on it he would be able to call, I was wondering is there any particular brand? I was thinking go phone from Att would be best? And will I still have to set up an account through Securus? Can anyone help me out on what I need to do?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,700 Times in 16,928 Posts

If you already have a cell phone, just call Securus and give them the number. You can even add your work number or any other number to your Securus account. Without looking it up, I believe you can have up to 5 (?) numbers on your account. Yep, its that easy

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM

I got a straight talk phone because my fiance is located in a different prefix and the calls are much cheaper that way. Just enter the zip code of the facility where he is located and you will get a number local to that area. Of course, you will still need the account with Securus but our calls dropped for 5.47 to 3.04.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 AM
MissinMiGremlin

I called Securus about it and they said I would have to get in touch with the wireless carrier, because they don't do 3rd party calls or something like that? I was going to get an android... will I be able to accept calls since it isnt like a regular phone?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 AM
JrlovesMelly

Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolelovesDee
I called Securus about it and they said I would have to get in touch with the wireless carrier, because they don't do 3rd party calls or something like that? I was going to get an android... will I be able to accept calls since it isnt like a regular phone?
3rd party calls? That doesn't make sense how is it a 3rd party call if your using a cell phone? My fiancée is in county in Kentucky and I have a pay as you go cell phone for him when I activated the phone I used his zip code for the number, I am in Ohio now we are through CSA for phone service not securus but I do a pre paid account and he calls my ky number and my calls are 2.50 for 10 mins rather than the 5.00 it would be for 10mins if he called my Ohio phone number! Mine phone is through net 10 and we've been using it over 6 months now and I have not had an issues with it works great! So I'd say any phone you go with will work just remember when you get your # use his zip code so your calls will be cheaper if your long distance from him! HTH!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
MissinMiGremlin

Yea I know thats what didnt make sense to me either, she acted like a ***** ne ways just had an attitude like what u want. Thanks you all for ya help
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,700 Times in 16,928 Posts

Just call Securus and tell them that you want to add another phone # to your account. Give them the cell phone. When I called and added mine, they didn't even ask who's number it was or if it was a cell number, I just added the number. It is not a 3rd party call, it will be calls directly to your cell phone.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM
The clock talks loudly

I use at&t pay as you go phone so man can call cheaply. I used the zip code to the prison and got a local number. I'm in Ohio so my calls were 8.50 and now they are only 2.04 for 15 mins. at&t works great though. Good luck dealing with Securus they are a pain in the butt. I try to use their online chat whenever possible.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 AM

So would this work for me? My girl lives in PA and I am in CA. As you can imagine the phone calls are really expensive. I use offender connect to talk to her. Could I purchase an ATT to go phone with a number with the same area code so our calls would be cheaper? Its getting to much and I cant spend 100$s every month to talk to her plus put money on her books.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 AM
MissinMiGremlin

When I use the online chat and even when I call, they said the account wasn't in my name... Ive never even set up an account, is it in his?