Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Any info on Danbury Camp

Hi there,

I looks like I will be spending 27-33 months in Danbury. Can anyone please tell me any and all details!

What is a typical day like? What are the sleeping arangements? What do you sleep in? (do they give you a nightgown?) Bathrooms? Privates? Showers?

Most importantly, I am curious about programs that you can partake in? Are there educational classes? Exercise classes? Is everyone eligible to partake?

What is the uniform like? Is it uncomfortable? How about the food?

I am so scared that I am almost paralyzed! I can't stop crying and wish I could just go to sleep forever.

OG
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Have you tried doing a search on Danbury? I know that several ladies have posted about their time there and gave very good descriptions of the camp and fci. While I was not at Danbury while a guest of the feds I met a lot of ladies that were and they had some good and some not so good thoughts about the place. Spend some time in the fed forum and read the different post then some of your fears will be eased. It will not be as bad as your thoughts and fears. Someone with first hand info should post soon. Weekends are kind of a down time here for some reasons.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM
wandering into the sunset

Default danbury camp

Hi OG,
Last year, I was at the Danbury Camp for six months, and I can answer your questions.

OK, a typical day... it's different when you first arrive than later, when you are assigned a job. When you first arrive, you are called an "A&O and are given a variety of of odd jobs, but it's kind of boring. Also, you have to go for an orientation, which lasts all day, and you have to go through medical testing so that you can be cleared to work.
When you get your job, this is the typical weekday:
5:00-5:30 a.m. count (stay in your room or cubicle for that)
6:16-7:15 a.m. breakfast... go when you want between those times.
If you work in "CMS," which includes ground maintenance, garage, plumbing, safety, electrical, etc., you will get on a bus at 7:30. If you work in food service, you will have either a morning or afternoon shift. Morning shift does breakfast and lunch and afternoon shift does lunch and dinner. Other jobs have different schedules.
10:45-11:30 a.m. lunch
noon: if you work at CMS, you get back on the bus.
3:00 p.m.: you should be done with work and ready to return to the camp if you're at CMS, which is located on prison grounds.
4:00 p.m. stand-up count. You must be in your room or cubicle, standing and ready to be counted.
4:30 p.m. dinner. People are called, based on the results of room inspection. If you work in food service, you eat early.
5:30 p.m. or earlier sometimes: mail call
after dinner: various activities: religious, classes, sports, etc.
10:00 p.m.-ish: count
12:30 a.m. count
2:30 a.m. count
On weekends, there is a standup count at 10:00 a.m. Also, breakfast on weekends is continental, and is served from 7:15 to 7:45, and brunch follows the standup count. Visiting hours are weekends and holidays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Sleeping arrangements: there is one dorm for about 14, which is where many of the newcomers go. There are also rooms for 6 to 8. "Preferred housing" is in the basement and is large rooms divided into two-person cubicles (sort of like a Dilbert-style workspace)
Nightgowns: yes, you get that.
bathroom: private showers with curtains. Toilets in stalls.
Education classes: yes, GED classes (English and Spanish). If you already have your high school diploma, make sure to bring a copy of your transcript with you. A copy of your diploma will not be accepted. There are continuing education classes, which vary, depending on who is available to teach subjects. These classes are taught by inmates with expertise in different things (languages, health, etc.).
There are exercise classes and craft classes. Everyone is eligible to partake.
Uniform: black steel-toed shoes
khaki pants, khaki shirt, white tee-shirt
in the evenings and weekend, you can wear gray sweatsuits and sneakers but you have to buy those from the commissary.
The uniforms are not super uncomfortable but they can be hot in the summer.
The food is OK but is not as nutritious as it could be or ought to be.
I am sending you hugs. I hope that I can help to ease your fears. Please feel free to ask questions here or PM me if you like. I am here for you.
meowmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiniongirl
Hi there,

I looks like I will be spending 27-33 months in Danbury. Can anyone please tell me any and all details!

What is a typical day like? What are the sleeping arangements? What do you sleep in? (do they give you a nightgown?) Bathrooms? Privates? Showers?

Most importantly, I am curious about programs that you can partake in? Are there educational classes? Exercise classes? Is everyone eligible to partake?

What is the uniform like? Is it uncomfortable? How about the food?

I am so scared that I am almost paralyzed! I can't stop crying and wish I could just go to sleep forever.

OG