Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Nevada prison & jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Default Making My First Visit To Ely

Hello All

I am new here and am looking for some guidance. I have a penpal on DR at ESP, I have been writing to him for about 9 months now and have been approved for visitation. I live in Ipswich in the UK and have worked out how to get to Vegas and then I believe there is a flight that goes out to Ely?

I am planning to make the trip November/December time, my problem is I don't drive and am at a loss as to how I get to the prison once I make it to Ely. Can anyone tell me if there is a Taxi Service or some form of public transport?

Can anyone offer any advice, I would be more than happy to pay someone to take me if they are going to be there at the same time and getting to know someone else who is also going to be out there would be wonderful. I am more than a little nervous about making such a huge trip on my own.

Anyway whatever advice anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

Thank you
Alison x
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Holding him down

Hi Alison, welcome to PTO!
I have heard of a service that offers transportation to Ely, only on certain days though. Here is their website so you can look through it. click here

I've heard of a car rental place, but I couldn't find any more details on it sorry

Old 08-14-2010, 02:26 PM

I hired a car from vegas and drove out there. That was you don't have to worry about getting around in Ely as well. I would hire a car for about 3-4 days and would cost me $300 - you would spend that much in flights and taxi's etc by the time you ended up going out to the prison each day etc. Plus you get the added advantage of going where you want when you want. The drive to Ely is quite beautiful. I wish I had of been able to drive out there with a GPS for my first time though - good to have them these days and can be hired with the car. For cheapest car hire I found alamo was a good way to go.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Thank you Ladies

I will definitely look into the transportation, not sure if it will work out with the visiting days tho as I definitely want to have all the hours seeing as I am travelling over 5,000 miles.

I can't drive as haven't passed my test, so I am reliant on public transport or a taxi if there is such a thing. Still I am determined to get there somehow so where there's a will there's a way. Maybe I will get lucky and find someone travelling out at the same time and be able to share costs with them.

Alison x
Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 PM

As far as I know there is no public transportation in Ely and I think the taxi service has gone out of business. If you stay at the Hotel Nevada, maybe they can suggest something as many visitors coming to the prison stay there. The only air service to Ely is out of Denver, Colorado but that still puts you in a remote airfield in Ely. Your best bet would be that transportation service out of Las Vegas that one of the other PTO recommended to you, at least that will get you to Ely. PM me if you have any questions that you think I can help you with as I go to Ely often.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned

Hi LIL Miss, I am also form the UK and I will be visiting my boyfriend in December. He is on unit 3 so potentially it will be the same days, mon & tues. If you are going at the same times and want a ride I may be able to help you with that. Just send me a PM if you still need one. I'm visiting Ely on 13th & 14th and 20th & 21st December. I hope I can help.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM

All in all I have the same problem like Lil Miss. I would really like to visit my boyfriend, but I can't drive and I live in another country. And I also fear that after the flight would be already booked his unit and by this his visiting days could change or that the prison could be on lock down when I come or such things...

Btw: I once have heard that if someone comes from so far away they would probably make an exception so that you may be allowed to stay for a longer visiting time, maybe more hours or more than two days in one week... would you ask them if there's an option? I have never dared to call them because I have problems to understand English at the telephone and to speak it natural sounding.

I always thought there's a bus driving to Ely one or two times a day....

You've mentioned a hotel in Las Vegas. Is it the nearest option for a night stay near the prision? And how much does it cost? - I don't have much money, and the flight would be expensive enough, even more if it's just for two days. I have never slept in a normal hotel because hotels are expensive in general. And I know hotels in Las Vegas are usually very expensive because it's a city built for tourists and the hotels are very important and very rich because of that. I've also read in special times like autumn or Sylvester for example or some other celebration and holiday times there are very much people in Las Vegas and the hotels quite full because of that...
I also considered of taking another flight after that to go on for a bit of holiday in another part of the USA instead of staying just two days, but this sounds even more complicated... But spending about 600 Euro or more for flights for a two day stay would be worse aswell...
I don't know what to do. I'm in regular contact with him since about 11 months now. We don't even have phone calls because it's too expensive. And I have just a very old photo in bad quality f him because it's not allowed to get pictures taken at ESP, like he said. I would really like to visit him sooner or later, we are both longing to see each other and speak to each other and embracing each other, but it all seems so complicated. And it's not just because of the money, it's also because I fear things could get wrong and I could get lost stranded in a foreign country at a strange continent in some way... *sigh* I would like to visit the USA anyway, but Nevada is not so interesting for me, beside the fact that he is there and that he can't go to anywhere else...

PS: I just figured out that Ely infact has it's own airport...

PPS: Maybe I make something wrong, but the most flights for+back seem to be more than 3000 Euro expensive... and that's even more than it would be in dollars.

Last edited by Shunka; 10-18-2010 at 04:20 PM..