Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,114 Posts
Thumbs up Just Got Hired With a Fortune 500 Company

Right now seems to be a very good time for felons to be applying for work.

With the national unemployment rate hovering below 4%, you pretty much just need a have a pulse to get hired right now at many places, assuming you are otherwise qualified.

I just applied last month for a part-time work-at-home customer service position with a Fortune 500 company, and they didn't even ask about criminal background until after I had been extended the contingent job offer.

For the background check authorization, they just asked: "Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony crime, or been released from prison or from probation or parole for the same within the last 7 years?"

Having been duly off-paper for over 9 years now, I could honestly answer the question "NO". My background check was completed within 24 hours, with no red flags noted. No mention of my distal felonies at all. I've been cleared to start my new job training next month.

All of this was done online through a third-party recruiter website, not so much as a phone interview. Just had to pass a brief online personality (integrity) test and virtual training module as part of the original application process. I was more worried about the personality test results than anything else, as we learned (last semester in class) how those integrity tests are used to weed out applicants. But apparently I passed -- "suitable" for employment.

I'm totally stoked. It's only a seasonal/temp job that's supposed to last for up to 9 months, but should tide me over until I finish my undergraduate studies in December.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 07-22-2018 at 04:33 PM..
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
BearsLadyBear (07-22-2018), Billys_Lady (07-23-2018), fbopnomore (07-22-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-25-2018), GaReform (07-23-2018), jordan321 (07-23-2018), LifeTraveler (07-22-2018), Lordbew/us (08-05-2018), marco1969 (07-23-2018), MizzyMuffling (07-22-2018), Ms Sunny (07-23-2018), patchouli (07-22-2018), Sarianna (07-23-2018), sass4221 (07-22-2018), WeepingWillow (07-22-2018), xolady (07-23-2018), yourself (07-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,045 Times in 14,745 Posts

That's wonderful!! Both the new job and being able to answer "no" to the "Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony crime, or been released from prison or from probation or parole for the same within the last 7 years?" question

I'll have been off parole 7 years Dec. 16, 2019. I'll be 63 by then and they can all kiss my ass

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-23-2018), xolady (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,010 Times in 10,825 Posts

Well, well, well! Congratulations!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,949 Times in 7,057 Posts

Congratulations! That is awesome news.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:51 PM

Thanked 2,748 Times in 956 Posts

That’s awesome! Congratulations on your new job.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
Old 07-23-2018, 02:14 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,041 Times in 1,392 Posts

Wow, congratulations - absolutely amazing and encouraging
Old 07-23-2018, 03:52 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,521 Times in 1,528 Posts

I'm really happy for you!! Good job!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 AM

Thanked 5,726 Times in 2,993 Posts

I am so happy for you!!! I do know how hard it is and damn near impossible to get a good job with out the crimminal back ground!!! Good luck!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,109 Posts

Congrats! On to bigger and better! If you love your job, it'll never feel like work.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 PM

Thanked 1,469 Times in 589 Posts

That is great for you. I can't wait til my son passes the 7 year mark so he can finally be hired at some of the jobs that have rescinded their offers solely because he has the felony show up. Keep us posted on how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-24-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM

Is the conviction date considered the date of the sentence or when someone takes the plea? I believe it's the sentencing date, but just wanted to confirm.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Is the conviction date considered the date of the sentence or when someone takes the plea? I believe it's the sentencing date, but just wanted to confirm.
That's a good question, rockchalk. I'm pretty sure it's the date you get sentenced, but isn't that usually only a month or two later than entering a guilty plea in most cases? Maybe longer if they need more time to prepare the PSI report...

It is worth noting though that many employee background checks ask whether or not you've been completely off-paper in the last 7 years, in which case they aren't going by date of conviction, but rather date of release from prison or graduation off of probation or parole.

In this case, I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been within 7 years of topping out (released from prison) and had to answer that question "YES". I don't know if that might have caused them to dig further or otherwise red-flag me...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-25-2018), patchouli (07-26-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I think it depends on the action the judge takes when the guilty plea is entered when the defendant appears before the court and enters the guilty plea. At my plea hearing, my attorney said the judge may or may not enter a guilty verdict at the time of my guilty plea hearing. He said sometimes they will wait until the day of sentencing. In my case, the judge ended up entering the guilty verdict that day, which caught me slightly off guard - just because it was just one more finality that I wasn't totally expecting.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post

I'm totally stoked. It's only a seasonal/temp job that's supposed to last for up to 9 months, but should tide me over until I finish my undergraduate studies in December.
I had no idea some employment applications included time verbiage like "in the last 7 years". Good news!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 PM

This is such good news. I’m sure it was a great feeling knowing that you were past the seven years with two to spare. I’m always happy to see success stories. Good luck at the new job!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMaestro View Post
I think it depends on the action the judge takes when the guilty plea is entered when the defendant appears before the court and enters the guilty plea. At my plea hearing, my attorney said the judge may or may not enter a guilty verdict at the time of my guilty plea hearing. He said sometimes they will wait until the day of sentencing. In my case, the judge ended up entering the guilty verdict that day, which caught me slightly off guard - just because it was just one more finality that I wasn't totally expecting.
My boyfriend is a peer support mentor he recently got hired at a drug rehab. He has to pass a background check with dept of human services and be clear for 5 years post conviction. That is just weeks away. He failed so now it has gone to a review board they say he will pass the review board because it is only a few weeks. When learning all of this we found out that seven years post conviction it’s not on your record anymore at all. The sad part is he went to trial so he was convicted later. It should be five years post the date the crime was commuted I think not their conviction date. It seems like another way to keep convicts down.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
That's a good question, rockchalk. I'm pretty sure it's the date you get sentenced, but isn't that usually only a month or two later than entering a guilty plea in most cases? Maybe longer if they need more time to prepare the PSI report...

It is worth noting though that many employee background checks ask whether or not you've been completely off-paper in the last 7 years, in which case they aren't going by date of conviction, but rather date of release from prison or graduation off of probation or parole.

In this case, I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been within 7 years of topping out (released from prison) and had to answer that question "YES". I don't know if that might have caused them to dig further or otherwise red-flag me...
That's why I'm asking. My husband took a plea in Oct, 2016 but didn't get sentenced until Sept 2017 due to stupid delays not by his doing. He won't be applying for a job where the 7 year thing will matter but for people in similar circumstances, you have to wonder how that can affect them.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
That's why I'm asking. My husband took a plea in Oct, 2016 but didn't get sentenced until Sept 2017 due to stupid delays not by his doing. He won't be applying for a job where the 7 year thing will matter but for people in similar circumstances, you have to wonder how that can affect them.
I was in a similar position. I took a plea in Nov 2017 and didn't get sentenced until July 2018; however, in my instance, the federal judge entered the conviction at my plea hearing. My attorney said there was a chance it could happen like that OR the judge would wait to enter the conviction at my sentencing hearing.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,075 Times in 415 Posts
Default Guilty Date

Check your court documents. In Arizona, some of the Superior Courts have the Minute Entry Orders available on line. If in your loved one's case or your case, they don't, call the court clerk and ask about reviewing the file if you don't have the exact date it was entered.

My son's guilty plea was entered and the judge made a determination of guilty but the next statement said the judgment of guilty would be entered at sentencing. I had to go look it up. It was before the sentencing hearing. So we will have to go with the later date of sentencing where he was adjudicated guilty. Being judged guilty is legally different from being determined guilty.

ORDERED:
Defendant’s plea(s) accepted, entered of record, determination of guilt made.
ORDERED:
Entry of judgment of guilt and imposition of sentence set for ...(DATE, TIME, COURT).
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-06-2018)