Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM
stupidoncomp stupidoncomp is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CA USA
Posts: 56
Thanks: 51
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Default How Do I get my Loved One to Sign HIPAA

I have to SS to federal at the end of Oct. I have no idea how to get this done or ven find the form? I really dont have any issues now other than maybe torn rotator cuff getting that checked in two weeks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM
yourself yourself is offline

Join Date: May 2010
Location: around
Posts: 11,893
Thanks: 4,273
Thanked 21,574 Times in 7,539 Posts

You need to sign the HIPAA release so that your records can be released to a specified person or entity. Once you get to prison, you can sign a HIPAA release with their medical department to have them release records that they make (not records that they receive) to a specified person or entity.

If somebody doesn't want to have your records, then there's really no point in signing a release so that person gets your records. Instead, choose a relative or friend who can act as an advocate for you.

Also look into POAs for healthcare in your jurisdiction. You can usually find static copies at your local hospital. These forms allow your proxy to make decisions for you in the event that you are not able to make them for yourself.

Further, if you have or think you may have a psychiatric condition, check to see if your state allows for a POA for Psych and do one of them so that appropriate treatment can be had should you become incompetent to make those decisions for yourself.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 28,157
Thanks: 44,206
Thanked 21,349 Times in 12,348 Posts

You will designate a "next of kin" in your bop intake paperwork. You can ask for a HIPAA form from the prison medical people but it will be ignored. The bop is a law unto themselves when it comes to notifying families about serious medical problems. Their usual policy is not to notify anyone when a prisoner is still alive. If you do happen to end up in an outside hospital, the bop will block the staff or doctors from honoring any HIPAA forms you fill out and submit to the hospital. No visitors allowed, and anyone who happens to call the hospital for information will not receive it.

If you have a trustworthy friend in prison, and are comfortable doing it, set it up so they, or you, will notify each other's families of serious problems. Most likely that will have to be done through the mail.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics