Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM

Default Expecting the Worst

Hello all, I'm new here and, as my name says, I'm scared half to death. Without going into too much detail, I am probably going to serve some time when all is said and done.
I know, by reading the threads on this board, that nobody incarcerated gets prescription pain meds. I get that. And right now I take prescription meds every single day for all kinds of back problems (which I've had several operations for). Even before all my legal problems began, my doctor and I were lowering the dosage regularly in an effort to get down to the lowest possible dosage or completely off it altogether.
Several years ago I was hospitalized for withdrawals for more than a week when I moved to another state and ran out of medicine. The vomiting/diarrhea was so debilitating I dehydrated and passed out several times. I'm terrified of going through this again.
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'm more afraid of withdrawals than I am of jail, and I've never even been arrested! Any suggestions? The crime I am being accused of its a financial one, not drug-related. Do you think I would be a candidate for some kind of treatment program? When do you ask for that? Thank you for any and all replies! I am happy to discuss more freely in Private Message.

Last edited by ScarednNaive; 08-28-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,526 Times in 11,940 Posts

You need to hire a lawyer to work on any possible alternatives to a prison sentence..

If you show up at a jail/prison as an addict, expect to do your withdrawal cold turkey, while locked in a small cell. Any way you can detox on the outside has to be a much better option for you, so my advice is find some way to handle your addiction before you arrive in jail or prison.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 AM

I know this is going to sound nit-picky, given my situation, but I am NOT an "addict". I sincerely hope it wasn't your intention to offend or insult me, but there is a stark difference between someone who has become dependent on prescription medication and a drug addict. Ask anybody who takes the medicine for a legitimate medical need and we will tell you, society lumps us all together with reckless abandon and it's very hard to overcome that perception. I'm NOT looking for sympathy, but a bit of sensitivity would be nice.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,241 Times in 15,252 Posts

I can assure you that fbop's intentions were not to offend or insult you. And I'm not going to bicker over the difference between an addict and someone dependent on pain meds....bottom line is that the withdrawl will be the same for both: vomiting and diarrhea, cold sweats etc.

If there is any way possible for you to do withdrawl before entering the jail system, I would advise it. Check with your local hospital and/or your doctor for a detox center. Those are medically controlled and your health will be supervised,

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I didn't mean to offend you, sorry you took it that way. Maybe physically dependent would have been a better choice of words, but since you had that many withdrawal symptoms the last time, try to imagine how it will be to go through that again while locked up in a small cell in prison/jail, because that's exactly what you will be facing.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

talk with your lawyer. Talk with your medical professional and step up your efforts to get off the medication. There's plenty of time between now and arrest and actually doing time. So, here's what you do:
1. get an attorney so you can surrender and bail out upon the issue of a warrant for your arrest.
2. work with your physician to get off all pain meds in as quickly and efficiently a manner as possible.
3. If you can't bail out, make sure you get into a drug detox so you don't have to go to jail to withdraw. Do that now, before you're arrested. It may even postpone your arrest. MAke sure your attorney is on board with this idea.

If you know arrest is coming, it's incumbent upon you to make sure you don't go to jail ready to suffer full scale withdrawal. If you don't take those steps now, you'll deserve what you get and how you're treated when you go to jail.

The ostrich strategy is no strategy for dealing with dependence, and leads to people believing the appropriate nomenclature for you is one of addiction, not dependence.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

When I arrived in federal prison, I was taking prescribed narcotic pain medications for a destroyed, arthritic hip. That was the last dose I took in custody, except when I was fortunate enough to be in a real hospital. I had the joy of withdrawing while being locked in a cell in the SHU (hole), 24 hours a day.

By the way, my hip operation, which my kind judge had refused to let me deal with before he locked me up because "you will be taken care of by the bop", was "pending" from my first day in bop prison, and was still pending when I was released 5 years later. My free world surgeon told me I had the worst hip he had ever seen that hadn't been caused by an accident.

My experience with bop medical indifference was not unique. What was different is that I was one of the lucky ones who actually walked (with a walker) out alive. If you do happen to have a medical crisis, hope that whatever it is isn't life threatening.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Medical Professional

I echo everything that others have stated above. Start working with your lawyer and your physician to start tapering your medications or going to a detox program before your case progresses. Ending up in the infirmary for a week or two doesn't sound that bad until you are actually there. You may have a bed but likely not. Its a cot or the floor...and it's lockdown 24x7 until they find a cell for you. No controlled substances for detox. If you're lucky maybe some Motrin and vitamin supplements. Some will give you Imodium and maybe clonidine during the first 72 hours if you have elevated BP/HR. It will get worse before it gets better... but it does. Believe me.