Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Bug Bite

My husband is currently being held for a mental evaluation in a federal prison. He was bitten by something around 6 days ago. His leg is now twice the size it should be and he cannot walk on it. It's very swollen and painful, he said he keeps getting shooting pains through his entire leg. He has requested to see a doctor and so far the only thing they have done is given him a bandaid and Neosporin. From what I can gather on the internet if his leg is this swollen he needs antibiotics.

I contacted his Lawyer who is a court appointed attourney and I have not heard back from her. She doesn't really seem like she cares. Does she even have any power to get him seen by a doctor? What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

His court appointed attorney has been appointed to represent him in his criminal case; not a medical case and the amount that the attorney could do in the context of a criminal case isn't much until the infection renders your LO incompetent - then the attorney can make a demand that your LO get rendered competent before proceeding and a judge can order treatment.

But, assuming that his criminal case is over, the representation by your LO's court appointed attorney is over as well.

He needs to submitt his requests to see medical in writing and basically refuse to do anything until he's seen by medical. He needs to file grievances against those who are refusing his requests and in general make the rest of the world as miserable as he's feeling.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:28 AM

He's submitted requests to see medical. His criminal case is not over, it hasn't even started because he's being held for a mental evaluation, he hasn't been convicted of a crime yet. This is something that needs attention now, not when his leg is worthless because of neglect.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,502 Times in 11,925 Posts

He needs to request a medical callout every day, in writing, and keep a record of his requests. Unfortunately he is his best, and likely his only, advocate. Infected leg, swollen leg, fever, chills, whatever; symptoms not self diagnosis. It may not even be a bug bite, MRSA is often misdiagnosed as a spider bite. A "bug bite" is way too easy to ignore or minimize.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 06-04-2014 at 12:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
thatwiz (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM

I had to look up MSRA. That doesn't really help my anxiety about this, it could certainly be MSRA. I was able to speak to the paralegal and I think his lawyer is going to see him today hopefully.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cloudy Days For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Donation Award 

The lawyer is the best bet. Keep after him/her. Make a pest of yourself if you have to. Hopefully, he will see him soon.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Spook's Lazy Butt

goodness i dont know what to do, something similar happen to my ex husband where they didnt seek him right away he broke hes toes while they transported him and it got so bad they had to amputate his toes, because of it, he should of sued them, and was transported for a crime he didnt even do, at the end, so yeah he does need antibiotics, badly

Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 AM

My husband said there is a crater in his leg now and pus keeps coming out of it. He did finally see a doctor. The doctor said he didn't know it was that bad and is going to give him a shot in his leg. It's been several days since he asked for the doctor to look at it. This is really ridiculous. It's an obvious and hideous wound, anyone that looks at it can see that it needs attention and not to be left to heal by itself.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Days View Post
My husband said there is a crater in his leg now and pus keeps coming out of it. He did finally see a doctor. The doctor said he didn't know it was that bad and is going to give him a shot in his leg. It's been several days since he asked for the doctor to look at it. This is really ridiculous. It's an obvious and hideous wound, anyone that looks at it can see that it needs attention and not to be left to heal by itself.
he needs to be proactive and put his request to see medical in writing every day
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (06-13-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Days View Post
If it's MRSA it needs to be addressed. My son started out with it looking like a
bug bite. After sending request to see medical, he finally had a CO call over.
Ended up sending sample off to lab, results were positive. Had to have it cleaned and re-packed everyday and was put in quarantine for a week.
Hope he gets it taken care of soon.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 PM

We get a lot of MRSA cases and they need IV antibiotics to clear it up. It can and often is a recurring infection so he should be on the lookout for any new sore spot and report it right away. He should keep it as clean as possible and wash wash wash his hands. I hope they are wrapping it. Good luck. It seems to me they practice a form of torture same as we are seeing in the VA hospitals. Wait and see and put it off. Maybe the problem, meaning the patient will go away. Sad thing to see.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM

He said that his wound stinks but it is shrinking some, at least the swelling is shrinking. They finally gave him antibiotics in pill form, I think they may be giving him a shot in his leg too but they talk a lot and then never do. My husband called me yesterday and told me they were talking about amputating his leg. That certainly freaked me out but I think they were either screwing with him or he took something they said wrong. I called up and talked to the medical staff and they said no they are not going to amputate his leg and they taking care of him. That's all they would tell me.

I was just told he is going to be sent to Washington. Hopefully they will take better care of him than this place. It's quite ridiculous that he would have a hole in his leg oozing puss and they wouldn't take is seriously enough to treat him with something other than a hot towel. He said the wound is black and hard around the crater in his leg. It just sounds terrible.
fbopnomore (06-11-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM

It's taken them over a week since his wound has gotten so bad and they are just now giving him a high dose of antibiotics and dressing his leg twice a day. The Nurse told him his leg is the most disgusting thing she has ever seen. That's comforting isn't it! He's worried he may need skin graphs because there is a large hole in his leg now. Definitely going to leave his leg a bit disfigured.

Just thought I would give an update, in case anyone gets into a similar situation. He said he thinks it's starting to heal some, but it's still disgusting and stinks.
2muchmisery4me (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,682 Times in 14,447 Posts

Oh dear lord. I hate reading this type of neglect of inmates.
I hope it continues to improve and he feels alot better FAST.
Im sure I would be freaking out too, Cloudy Days if this were my loved one.

I really wish they would take inmates complaints more seriously. Instead they think they are all faking it.
makes me mad.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-13-2014, 10:48 AM

What makes me mad is all they would have had to do is look at his leg. They ignored it for about a week before they gave him Benadryl to even see if the swelling would go down. He said it was full of pus, I mean seriously, it doesn't take a freaking doctor to know that pus means something is infected. He said he can see the muscles in his leg. At least they are wrapping it correctly now. Took them long enough!
sidewalker (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,502 Times in 11,925 Posts

Medical indifference for inmates happens much too often. Especially since many of the conditions that are ignored/misdiagnosed most often can also be contagious. Spider bites versus MRSA was extremely common in the federal prisons I was in, but it definitely wasn't the only one.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Apparently they have a Brown Recluse infestation in the prison. My husband was suppose to be shipped off to Washington and the US Marshalls rejected him because of the hole in his leg, Said he was a flight risk. There was another inmate that had a bite on his toe, ouch! He was also denied on the flight, but was told there were other people too. The US Marshalls were furious with the Prison because they didn't file any paperwork about his leg, it's a private run prison. That's pretty fishy to me that they didn't file any paperwork. Something needs to be done about the freaking Spider infestation, this is ridiculous.

Last edited by Cloudy Days; 06-16-2014 at 10:00 AM..
fbopnomore (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,368 Times in 3,006 Posts

If ok with your loved one contact tge media.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."