Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 PM

Default Do Federal Inmates Have a Right to Health Care?

I am new to the Federal Prison life so let me apologize in advance for my ignorance. Do the inmates not have a right to medical care???? My husband has been told his liver count is extremely high for the past 6 weeks but they just don't seem to care... He may have Hepatitis C which if goes untreated could be very dangerous... Any helpful responses please??
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,272 Times in 7,144 Posts

Hello and Welcome to PTO! I gave your post it's own thread so that you could get more responses. Every inmate has a right to health care. Sometimes family and friends have to make a little noise to help them get that health care.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
aahumada (02-08-2014), bumblebee37 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 AM

Hep C can be contagious so it should be a priority for them to diagnose him and treat him. Granted, it doesn't spread from merely living in the same space, it usually takes some contact with blood (It is also contagious thru sex, though that is not likely an issue at this point for your hubby).

So if your hubby got cut and another inmate came in contact with that blood thru an open cut of their own, then it could spread. Or if your hubby had a razor and someone else used it by accident or stole it, they could get Hep C. Or if they used his toothbrush after him.

I would think the staff would want to know so they could take precautions if your husband was hurt and bleeding.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

Yes, they have to get health care, but what the BoP thinks of as health care isn't what we out here think of as health care. You husband needs to push the issue. He needs to stay on top of things; he can get more done faster from inside than you can on the outside.

Last edited by safran; 02-09-2014 at 07:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
DRPrincess (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,502 Times in 11,925 Posts

Your husband needs to be proactive about his medical problems. Anything not in writing doesn't exist. Filling out a sick call slip listing his actual symptoms, not what he thinks is causing them, is important and needs to be repeated until he receives the correct care. He can also request the results of his previous blood tests either on the form he fills out every time he reports to sick call, or even on a cop out to medical.

He should never expect that they are performing the required follow-ups either. Even in the hospital units of the FMC's (the most comprehensive care offered by the bop outside of sending him to a real hospital), appropriate medical care can be hard to find.

Example: I fought for over a year of appeals to be prescribed the correct dose of one RX medication. As soon as I arrived there,it was withdrawn by an ancient doctor at FMC Butner. When he finally came into my room for the first time, after about a week (I won't go into my symptoms, but the lack of the medication had definitely caused the problems it was prescribed to eliminate) I asked him why. After explaining the problems, he said "oh that requires an approval from the regional doctor before I can prescribe the maximum dosage". I explained that I already had the approval. "oh" was his reply, meaning that my doctor had not even reviewed my bop health records. He must have finally checked them, because I once again began receiving the correct dosage.

The prisoner is his/her best, and often only advocate. Obtaining anything due from the bop, medical or otherwise, can be tricky. How to get what you want/need without pissing off the keepers enough for them to retaliate, and make things even worse.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Donation Award 

Default medical help

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahumada View Post
I am new to the Federal Prison life so let me apologize in advance for my ignorance. Do the inmates not have a right to medical care???? My husband has been told his liver count is extremely high for the past 6 weeks but they just don't seem to care... He may have Hepatitis C which if goes untreated could be very dangerous... Any helpful responses please??
My son is in an FCI and has said the best way to get anything done that isn't getting done is to have a lawyer call or write, probably to the unit manager in the facility where he is located. He said someone in his unit needed a treatment and was being stonewalled. Someone outside got a lawyer involved. He made a phone call and the NEXT DAY, they sent him to the hospital for care. If you have limited resources, you might try the ACLU.
The Following User Says Thank You to jschu For This Useful Post:
DRPrincess (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,377 Posts

Yes, every inmate, regardless of federal or state has the right to medical care. The treatment for Hep C has very strict guidelines around it. The treatment is not for everyone. Also elevated liver enzymes can be from many things are not just hepatitis. He has to be seen by the doctor, and he needs to ask the doctor for his diagnosis and treatment plan. Only the doctor can prescribe this.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Mrs. Noboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahumada View Post
My husband is going through the exact same thing, only it's been 5 months! My lawyer is calling them first thing in the morning, let's see what happens...I'm sorry your LO is going through this.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM

I have heard but can find no proof that the FBOP has a $250,000 life insurance policy on every prisoner and that is the reason they are not concerned about treatment and not interested in compassionate release. If anyone has information about this, please post it!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,502 Times in 11,925 Posts

Not true is the mildest way I can answer that.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithwalk12 View Post
I have heard but can find no proof that the FBOP has a $250,000 life insurance policy on every prisoner and that is the reason they are not concerned about treatment and not interested in compassionate release. If anyone has information about this, please post it!
You figure that would be a well kept secret by all of the employees of the insurance companies?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,272 Times in 7,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
You figure that would be a well kept secret by all of the employees of the insurance companies?
Not only that, but could you imagine the cost to the BOP???

Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
Not only that, but could you imagine the cost to the BOP???
could you imagine an insurance company that would actually write for all prisoners? Key Life policies?

People who've been to prison can't get life insurance on the outside because they've been to prison. Don't think that an insurance company would be in business for very long insuring every inmate, let alone for that amount.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (06-05-2014)