Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions If the topic is a prison or jail in either of these countries, this is the place to discuss it!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:07 PM

Unhappy Visiting with a child.

Hi

Does anyone have any information about visiting with a newborn? What can be taken in? Is it worth doing? Should I maintain the relationship?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,295 Posts

Hey bellie,

When my brother was in remand, I took my daughter in to see him. I was accused of somehow giving him drugs. He was searched and drug tested. It came back negative, but I still had to wait weeks to see him. So for me, I never took my daughter again. ������
Old 12-05-2018, 01:15 PM

Hi Bellie
I have taken children in, not as a newborn but under 1 years old into a couple of prisons. It depends which prison you may be visiting as to what you can bring in with your baby. You can ring and ask the prison (I know sometimes it is hard to get through but keep trying) or the local Prisoners Aid or SHINE office.

As to continuing the relationship. I am not sure that should be about whether you can bring a baby in or not, but the state of your relationship. For example if you were being hurt by this person, it might be a good time to think about what is best for you and baby in the future. If your relationship instead was positive and supportive, it may be worth continuing it.

Is it worth doing? It is in most times worth supporting a child to have a relationship with their father if the father is in prison. SHINE, an agency for children with parents in prison really support this and I would encourage it if able for older children. Is it vital as a newborn? I haven't seen any research that says it is essential for development. I know of a child that did not see their father while he was in prison much until they were older than 2 years and it appears to have made no difference to the great relationship between the child and their father 4 years on. This depends also on the father for sure.

Wishing you well
Nadia

Last edited by Nadia_Au; 12-05-2018 at 01:24 PM..