Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Default New Member from Hamilton, ON

Hello, I have been going through this forum, the csc website, and the trap call website.

I am trying to prepare myself, my family, my business, and the house. I will be incarcerated in the near future. I am guilty for the crime I have committed. Not ready to go into details. But figure, it's better for me, and others, to plead guilty and try to get some kind of deal.

No priors, own my own business, wife is a nurse who works 12 hour shifts, so I do around the house, drop off the kids (7&4), prepare meals, put them to bed. So this is going to be a big change.

Crown is currently asking for 2 years less a day if I plead guilty. But my lawyer hasn't met with him and a judge to counter yet. Mandatory minimum is 1 year.

So the outcome is all over the place. If I get the 1 year, it will most likely be at Maplehurst.

If I get a sentence between 18 months - 24 months, lawyers says good chance of OCI in Brampton.

Another possibility is a deal where it's 2 years exactly, and I could serve at Joyceville for assessment, serve the remainder there, or at Beaver Creek.

Pros and Cons of each outcome. On one hand I try not to think about it, as I can't control it. But at the same time, I come online and research as much as possible.

My lawyer is going to ask for a some kind of hearing on November 7th (my next court date), he says it will take about a month. Then we can meet with the prosecutor, and judge. The unknown is the hard part.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Полезный дурак

Hi Solstice,

You are definitely in one of the most stressful times : pre - sentencing. I speak as a spouse, not a future inmate, though.

You are doing the best thing you can do by researching what is ahead of you. That can cause stress, too, but having knowledge helps in the process overall.

It is fair to say it’s good to have adequate time for all the legal processes so that you can plan ahead [ as best as you can ... ] for your family, your business, et cetera .

This site is good in that it fills out basic information that the CSC leaves out. Funny thing is that a friend of my husband contacted the CSC by way of their social media and got basic answers too !

My husband was in remand at Muppethurst so I can’t really say what it is like for those serving a sentence. All I hear is that „ federal is better than provincial ” but it is not as if people get to choose their sentence !

My husband is currently at JAU and it is o.k.; there are some here [ I think ... ] who did their full sentence there and could answer questions, when / if you know.

You are completely right that the unknown is the worst. Once you know more and post - sentencing, there is an odd sense of relief.

Best wishes to you and I hope that the overall process is fair in your favour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
nimuay (10-25-2018), Solstice2020 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM
OnparoleinTO

Hi there. I went through the assessment/federal minimum system a couple of years ago so happy to answer questions - please ask here or send me a message. The short story is that 2 years federal is better than 15 months provincial, even at OCI. Federal conditions are better, you will probably be in minimum which is, as jail goes, easy time. Plus you can get parole in federal perhaps now in as little as 6-8 months; there is virtually no parole from provincial. And provincial jails have worse settings, no programs, few supports, and often worse prisoners. I would take 2 years over even 12 months provincial, but that's a closer call... Also you could get 2 years less a day plus 3 years probation, whereas if you get 2 years federal there is no probation, so less total time under supervision.

Feel free to ask. I can also relate to where you are now - it sucks. But try to live each day; they are going to take away some of your days; don't give them more than you need to!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
nimuay (10-25-2018), Solstice2020 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
Hi there. I went through the assessment/federal minimum system a couple of years ago so happy to answer questions - please ask here or send me a message. The short story is that 2 years federal is better than 15 months provincial, even at OCI. Federal conditions are better, you will probably be in minimum which is, as jail goes, easy time. Plus you can get parole in federal perhaps now in as little as 6-8 months; there is virtually no parole from provincial. And provincial jails have worse settings, no programs, few supports, and often worse prisoners. I would take 2 years over even 12 months provincial, but that's a closer call... Also you could get 2 years less a day plus 3 years probation, whereas if you get 2 years federal there is no probation, so less total time under supervision.

Feel free to ask. I can also relate to where you are now - it sucks. But try to live each day; they are going to take away some of your days; don't give them more than you need to!
Right now I have several bail conditions. What do you mean by there is no probation after the 2 years federal? All my conditions would be lifted after time served?

Thanks for all your help
Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 PM

Bail conditions and Parole are different. Once you are done your sentence its done.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:44 PM
OnparoleinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice2020 View Post
Right now I have several bail conditions. What do you mean by there is no probation after the 2 years federal? All my conditions would be lifted after time served?

Thanks for all your help

If you get a provincial sentence you can get up to 3 years of probation which can have various conditions attached to it. As HomeFaith says, these may be different from your bial conditions; bail conditions end when you are acquitted or sentenced. If you have a federal sentence and are paroled or released on stat release you may also have various conditions. These end when your sentence ends - e.g. after 2 years. Unless you have a sex offence, which can contain further restrictions, or a designation as a long-term offender, or have an S810 order, etc. But those are fairly rare.

Hope that clarifies it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
HomeFaith (10-27-2018), Solstice2020 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Yes sorry, I am currently versed for more in the Federal sentences pertaining to what affects my family , so Thanks my friend for more details.