Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Question New sentencing guidelines in 2019?

So... Im not even sure how to word this because Im very confused by all of this but... My bf asked me if I could look up the sentencing guidelines in Indiana. He said that at some point a few years ago it changed from only doing 50% of time sentenced to having to do 75% of time sentenced BUT he think that some (law/act/bill/etc.etc) was passed in 2019 changing it back to 50%.... So I guess what im asking is does anyone know of any changes that happened in 2019 in regards to the “two for one” credit or “time served” when it comes to how much time he will actually have to serve once sentenced!? Ive tried google but it just keeps giving me the run around & no information that i feel is useful to what he is wanting to know!?

ANY information would be soooo helpful
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,049 Times in 16,167 Posts

There are a lot of "ifs, ands, or buts" when it comes to sentencing and parole eligibility. Because of that, I'll give you info on where to look for the answers. Indiana's General Assembly website has info on all Bills submitted & those that have passed. You can track Bills that interest you and follow their process through the legislature. Your General Assembly website also all Indiana's laws (Codes).

Start with Indiana's Code (Statutes / Laws) for Corrections (Title 11); under Title 11, look at Article 9 (Parole Board)....its near the bottom of the page in Article 9.

Also look at Title 35 Criminal Law & Procedure; in Title 35 look at Article 50 Sentences.

Now, new stuff (Bills): Just under the Indiana General Assembly Banner at the top left of pages, click Legislation, then click Bills by Subject from the drop-down menu; they are listed alphabetically by subject. There are several bills under Corrections and under Crimes / Offenses.

Good luck & Happy reading

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-12-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Thank you SO MUCH for that information, I'm definitely going to look and see if I can find anything!! I really appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to LMH050118 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:05 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,049 Times in 16,167 Posts

Criminal Justice Reform is picking up steam all across the country. I honestly believe that to advocate for our loved ones we have to advocate further up the chain for all incarcerated persons. The only way to do that is stay informed.....and the best way to stay informed is to know what's going on & who's doing what in our individual legislatures. As far as I know, every state has a Legislature or General Assembly website that the same info (Statutes / Codes, Bills, etc) for that state.

One other important fact: You can find out who your legislators are, their contact info, their track record with issues important to you. Why? Because they are Public Servants and you / I / incarcerated persons ARE the Public. It is absolutely permissible to call them are encourage them to vote Yes or No on any Bill / Legislation.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

patchouli, PTO Admin