Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Who do you protest to. Who cares about us enough to listen. If there is somewhere to respond without endangering my son I am in. I can't believe most of thE IT jobs they want to privatize is with the ministers of corrections. When will they learn some things can't be privatized
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2015, 04:47 PM

I couldn't agree more....or maybe even while they're on lockdown still allow the guys to make one short call a day to put their families at ease.
The thing is unless the provincal officials start to take notice, this is going to go on forever. Prison is meant as a rehabilitative step (for most) and families are key to that rehabilitation. But if the government doesn't see how crucial it is to maintain these ties then the whole system is pointless.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:42 PM

You sound smart,educated and well informed. This is our family,s first go round for the criminal justice system. I know in my heart my son has learned his lesson, but the sad part is he won't come out the same man, he is just about broken now, and I know our family will never be the same. One little phone call would sure helpin these times. Thank you
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words Lost Boy 1980. It's my first go at it too and I'm trying to help his family with it as much as possible. The guys will be going through a heck of a time now but the human being is amazingly adaptable. With enough encouragement and positivity they'll rebound. Once they have our love and support when they get out, they'll come back to themselves in time.
As for who to talk to ..... I've seen some reporters on this site looking to expose the current prison state of affairs in Ontario. I was thinking of contacting them anonymously (so that our loved ones won't be singles out) and seeing what they come up with too. Just an idea though but if it helps our boys then it's worth it.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:14 AM

No need for thanks,it just seemed to be a true fact. You sound and make sense. I am careful on the site because of not knowing who is on here. How do you know about reporters. I don't want anything singling out my son.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:32 AM

That was my concern too. What I did was create an anonymous email account and contacted them via that. I told them I was willing to let them know about the situation so that they can keep the stories in the news in hopes that some official may be sensitized by it.
I don't know if it would work but it's just my attempt at it. I'm worried about my loved one being singled out too so that's why I choose to stay anonymous. But someone has to say something otherwise they just keep sweeping this under the mat and pretend like nothing is going on. I'm open to suggestions too
Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM

Hi anyone here with a loved one in CECC (Lindsay)?
They told me the lockdown has been lifted but I still haven't got a call since Jan 27. His entire family is worried. If anyone has any news or has been able to receive a call from someone in CECC can they let us know? Thanks so much.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:30 AM

Unheard from my hubby on valentines. Theybwerr licked down but outbfor shower . He has spent more time locked down then out these two months. I'm so thankful this was a short stint this time but thinking of all of you (hell be home soon). I've been an activist for a long time (20 years approx). When it comes to these situations the public just doesn't care enough (sadly). Stay string people.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. In this little time dealing with all aspects of the legal and correctional system I am shocked and ashamed that these things are happening in canada. I am glad my son has chosen to not share his worst . Get this journey started
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM

My man is going to be transferred to the Bay within the next couple weeks, not sure that I can be of any help though

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB89 View Post
My man's currently in Collins Bay(medium unit) in Kingston, ON. He's been there for a little over a year now. Anybody else on here have their loved one currently serving time in The Bay as well? I could really use your help!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 PM

Heya, the 60 trapp is better if U get one call every day it's cheaper as its flat rate per call not that 3.80. My guy was in Milton & calling 2 to 3 times a day Ughhh that sure did get expensive but it's over now thank gosh. Good luck to you
Old 03-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Default Collins bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB89 View Post
My man's currently in Collins Bay(medium unit) in Kingston, ON. He's been there for a little over a year now. Anybody else on here have their loved one currently serving time in The Bay as well? I could really use your help!
QueenB89 - can you tell me what Collin's bay is like. I think my significant other will be headed there soon. That's what his PO has indicated as the recommendation in assessment. I did hear from a lawyer that you can get Private Family Visits up and running really quickly there?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 PM

What unit is he on? If you don't know, call and say you are planning to visit but you don't know what unit he is on, or if he is locked down and they will tell you. My fella is on 2 and has been since the beginning of March. There have been lockdowns for non strike related stupid reasons. But I have received a few phone calls. Most have been during the day. So if it's a collect call to your home phone then you're out of luck if you're not home. From my understanding the 'strike' related lockdowns have been more movement related. Meaning, one day they get let out after lunch and then locked up for dinner and then not let out after dinner. Where as they are typically let out a few times a day. Trying to 'get' a phone when everyone wants to use it is the same as trying to get to a shower. My fella was able to have 3 showers in a 2 week span. BUT from what I understand the strike related lockdowns are over. They are no longer planning to strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahow View Post
Hi anyone here with a loved one in CECC (Lindsay)?
They told me the lockdown has been lifted but I still haven't got a call since Jan 27. His entire family is worried. If anyone has any news or has been able to receive a call from someone in CECC can they let us know? Thanks so much.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Most people have NO IDEA what the judicial and correctional system is like here in Canada. If they only knew how poorly everyone is treated they might not be so judgemental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost boy 1980 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. In this little time dealing with all aspects of the legal and correctional system I am shocked and ashamed that these things are happening in canada. I am glad my son has chosen to not share his worst . Get this journey started
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 AM
N.I.B🔒🔒

Default Transportation to collins bay

Hey, my name is Bianca and my boyfriend has been incarcerated for two years and is serving a four year sentence. I am trying to get myself and our daughter up to see him Saturday but my ride canceled and we are both really upset about it. Of there is anyone that could drive me there, that is going up that way this Sat. That would be really nice, I'm willing to pay you! Thank you!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM

Google F.E.A.T buss service. I don't know much about it but I saw someone on here post about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecsGirl View Post
Hey, my name is Bianca and my boyfriend has been incarcerated for two years and is serving a four year sentence. I am trying to get myself and our daughter up to see him Saturday but my ride canceled and we are both really upset about it. Of there is anyone that could drive me there, that is going up that way this Sat. That would be really nice, I'm willing to pay you! Thank you!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:55 PM

Default transportation to prisons in Kingston, warkworth and CECC

Hey Ladies not sure if uses are aware but their is a bus service that you can use to visit your other half, I use it every other Sunday to go to Warkworth and the ladies I have met are great. If you want to know more in box me and I will send you the contact information.
Also if your man is in a prison contact me and I will give you the info for free phone line you get a number that's local to your man and it forwards the call to any number we use this and it cost us $0.60 for an hour

The Following User Says Thank You to BrokenNLost For This Useful Post:
Sarah86 (03-23-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 AM

Default maplehurst

Is anyones man currently in MapleHurst Milton Ontario
Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Default New to Federal System and Overwhelmed

A friend of mine just went to Millhaven and is in Intake and Assessment. I am very overwhelmed by all the policies. My first priority is get him money for his canteen and phone calls. I know he needs to keep $80 aside so I have to send $80 plus whatever for canteen and phone call. Does Millhaven accept cash if I drive there. What is the best way to get money to him
Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Полезный дурак

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesscampo View Post
A friend of mine just went to Millhaven and is in Intake and Assessment. I am very overwhelmed by all the policies. My first priority is get him money for his canteen and phone calls. I know he needs to keep $80 aside so I have to send $80 plus whatever for canteen and phone call. Does Millhaven accept cash if I drive there. What is the best way to get money to him
Hi tesscampo,

The best way to send money is through a money order. You can easily do this with Canada Post and receive a tracking number. There is a fee though. If easier, do it through your bank or another sort of service. Make sure you have your friend’s name clearly on it as well as your name and address clearly on the envelope too. They won’t process it unless they can „ track it ”.

Technically, you can drive up to Millhaven and drop off the cash but it doesn’t sound as if you are on his visitation list re : intake & assessment. But the federal prisons, it seems, are moving more in favour of money orders.

Checks take forever, and some institutions don’t accept them at all, and as you know, don’t send cash in the mail.

So, safe bet, is money order but if you have questions, you can always call Millhaven. They would be better suited to answer re : cash in person without visitation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
tesscampo (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 PM

Do money orders have to specify that money is to be used for the telephone system
Old 03-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Полезный дурак

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesscampo View Post
Do money orders have to specify that money is to be used for the telephone system
No, they do not. What occurs is that [ in the federal system . . . ] inmate funds go into their savings account and the inmate transfers it / shifts it around in order to load a calling card for approved numbers. Inmate funds and the telephone process gets rather complicated!!! So in the end, it all goes into the same account and your friend has to transfer it for the phone.

If they miss the transfer date to put money on the phone, they have to wait until the next month.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 PM

I don't have anyone inside, but I'm part of a volunteer organization that provides information support to people in Ontario prisons. I figured I should say hi.
The Following User Says Thank You to writeON For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-11-2019)