Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts
Default Simple directions so we can get HB2270 heard by the committee

HB#2270 ReframingJustice.com

This is a bill for more just sentencing. Arizona requires 85% of a sentence be served in prison. 48 other states have reduced this to a more reasonable percentage with provisions for inmates to earn time off. This extreme sentencing law is one of the main reasons Arizona has the 4th highest incarceration rate in the country and a staggering corrections budget over $1 billion. The next step is to get the bill heard by the committee which deadline is February 20th.

The following directions posted by a friend of a friend makes it easy to support getting a hearing. Click on the website, fill out a few blanks and submit.

SUPER EASY

Step 1: Click on or Copy This URL and Plug it into your browser:

https://www.azleg.gov/emailazleg/?legislatorId=1857

Step 2: Copy and paste this into the Subject Line

House Bill 2270

Step 3: Copy and paste this into the Comments / Concerns / Suggestions box:

Dear Representative Allen,
I am requesting that you give HB2270 a hearing in your judiciary committee. Thank you very much.

Step 4: Get every man, woman, and child that you know to do the same.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
AAH14589 (02-12-2019), healingmother92 (02-06-2019), KiwiPP (02-06-2019), Kjz1234 (02-07-2019), mama_pig (02-06-2019), Ricoluv29 (02-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM

Hey Liz, do you think I should even though I’m from NZ? If you think it will help I definitely will!
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
mama_pig (02-10-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPP View Post
Hey Liz, do you think I should even though Iím from NZ? If you think it will help I definitely will!
Yes you shoud!
The Following User Says Thank You to mama_pig For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (02-06-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Hey Liz, do you think I should even though Iím from NZ? If you think it will help I definitely will!
It can't hurt. I am not sure if it will allow anyone not in AZ to do so as it asks for your district number in state. If you tried and it worked, please let me know.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You could just email him at jallen@azleg.gov
Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 PM

This is my latest email update from AFSC-AZ. Please everyone, call, write, email!! :

Thank you to everyone who has taken action on the asks of these email alerts! AFSC-AZ has been getting reports from legislators and staffers about the vocal support for criminal justice reform in Arizona. Rep. Walt Blackman, the sponsor of HB2270, has been working hard, talking with families impacted by incarceration and discussing the bill with stakeholders to move toward potential negotiations.
However, Rep. John Allen Chair (R-15) of the House Judiciary Committee has continued to say he will not hear HB2270, nor any other reform bills that address reforming severe and extended punishments, including HB2362, HB2148, or HB2245.

WE NEED YOUR HELP

Contact Speaker of the House Rusty Bowers (R-25), and ask him to hold his committee chair accountable to hear HB2270, HB2362, HB2148, and HB2245, bills that all Arizonans, including Rep. Allen's constituents, want heard.

Tell him criminal justice reform bills need a hearing because:

Rep. Bowers has made public statements about his desire for judicial discretion and allowing earned release credits. Neither HB2245 nor HB2270, bills that address those expressed desires have been put on the House Judiciary Committee agenda.

Arizona has the 4th highest incarceration rate in the country, and just having a discussion on these bills in committee is important to begin addressing this issue.

Incarceration costs over $1.1 billion to Arizona taxpayers dollars, diverting scarce general funds away from education, child welfare, and other needed state programs. Corrections is the third largest state agency budget, absorbing 11% of the state’s budget dollars. We need to take a look at reform, and these bills being heard in committee allow an avenue for discussion.

Longer time in prison and punishment after release does not make Arizona safer. Arizona recidivism rate is over 50%. Research shows that longer sentences cause diminishing returns to reducing recidivism and enhancing public safety.

Crime rates nationwide are dropping, and many states including North Carolina and Texas have reduced spending on prisons, made major reforms to their sentencing laws, and seen much greater decreases in crime than Arizona.

Arizonans agree that sentencing reform is important. A newly released poll found:
8 out of 10 voters believe it is important to “reduce the number of people in jail or prison
If lawmakers make additional funding available to prevent crime, voters strongly prefer investments in education (41%) and treatment (22%) to jails and prisons (1%)
Crime victims are just as likely as other voters to support criminal justice reform policies — 80% support reducing the jail and prison population.

If you have served time in Arizona or have a loved one in prison or who has been released, please (briefly) share your story! Legislators need to know how the laws they pass impact their constituents.

**If you can blind copy or cc us (afscaz@afsc.org), we will have a better idea how effective this initiative is. If you receive responses, even boiler-plate ones, please forward those to us, if possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjz1234 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Terrible news. I received an email from Rep Blackman, the sponsor of this bill, who said it is not being heard by the committee. He urges us to clamor to the speaker of the house and other republican reps to revive this bill and issue. Come on, guys. We have to do this. We are Arizona, and it’s our responsibility to demand the laws we want governing us. I’m tired of my tax money supporting incapacitation rather than rehabilitation, which works.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 PM

Keep pushing! I want the 85% repealed in its entirety. Every inmate deserves early release for good time if he/she has earned it. All of them. It’s true that good time served is not a fundamental right, however, the majority of jurisdictions allow it. Vote these naysayers out. It’s time for a change and to make more intelligent and efficient decision with our people and money.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:04 PM
here

Quote:
You can, specify that you have a LO in AZ DOC custody. It can't hurt, but the sad truth is lacking the power to vote them out of office means they usually don't