Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,093 Times in 2,829 Posts
Default Grumble. Mail returned due to glitter.

I just got back a Xmas card I sent to a friend at Snake River. The reason? Glitter. It is almost impossible to find a Xmas card that does not have glitter on it anymore. I have sent cards to 3 other institutions that had the least amount of glitter I could find on them to other friends - they got their cards. I have sent cards with glitter to the same institution that this year returned the card.

I sent the card early hoping that if it was sent back to me, I would have time to get another one to my friend. But nope. Got it back on 12/28. So I sent him a card with a painting of the coast near Haystack Rock. I had emailed him the day I got the card back saying it was a little late to be sending a Christmas card now. In the Coast picture card, the first sentence was "Note the utter lack of glitter on this card."

I do wish the rules would be enforced consistently across the board. Usually at Christmas, they allow more through than they would otherwise because Christmas. Apparently not this Christmas.

grumble.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I just got back a Xmas card I sent to a friend at Snake River. The reason? Glitter. It is almost impossible to find a Xmas card that does not have glitter on it anymore. I have sent cards to 3 other institutions that had the least amount of glitter I could find on them to other friends - they got their cards. I have sent cards with glitter to the same institution that this year returned the card.

I sent the card early hoping that if it was sent back to me, I would have time to get another one to my friend. But nope. Got it back on 12/28. So I sent him a card with a painting of the coast near Haystack Rock. I had emailed him the day I got the card back saying it was a little late to be sending a Christmas card now. In the Coast picture card, the first sentence was "Note the utter lack of glitter on this card."

I do wish the rules would be enforced consistently across the board. Usually at Christmas, they allow more through than they would otherwise because Christmas. Apparently not this Christmas.

grumble.
Several states (including CO and NM) no longer allow any greeting cards or colored envelopes. when they did I would always buy the boxed cards that have no glitter because we would have the same issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post

grumble.
Yes as petty as it seems glitter is a problem why I don't know. It makes buying cards a real pain in the ass
The Following User Says Thank You to upsetspouse For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
Several states (including CO and NM) no longer allow any greeting cards or colored envelopes. when they did I would always buy the boxed cards that have no glitter because we would have the same issue.
Its sad that a lot of the places now don't allow cards, colored stationary, colored envelope. If you want to write it has to be white line paper. So you get creative.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to upsetspouse For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018), miamac (12-30-2018), nancyginnm (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,095 Times in 4,228 Posts

I send a lot of cards through the card swaps and its very difficult to find Christmas cards free of glitter,foil ribbons etc. I normally buy photographic cards as they don't tend to have any adornments.Also cartoon style cards seem to be glitter free and cheaper boxed assorted cards. Then there is the no coloured envelopes rule. That can be another problem most christmas cards are in red envelopes.

As another member has said Colorado does not allow any greeting cards or post cards and I am sure other states may follow suit.
I can see the contraband issue with glitter , however the cynic in me thinks its another way to make money from us encouraging us to pay for GTL and Jpay emails and those ecards.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.

Last edited by maytayah; 12-30-2018 at 09:00 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018), miamac (12-30-2018), nancyginnm (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:40 AM

Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,389 Posts

I bought a box of cards from Amazon that were blank. Simple Christmas designs. It is hard to find cards for birthdays and holidays without added stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 20,253 Times in 7,248 Posts

The only card I've ever had returned was a Christmas card to SR. Lol So I feel your pain.

I share the frustration in finding decent cards to send, too. Yes, I have the boxed sets that are plain but sometimes you just want to send your husband a "husband" card for a holiday but inevitably it has glitter, pop up, pasted-together sheets. I've even purchased the card and photocopied it because I was so desperate. It used to be the dollar stores were a sure bet for 'plain', but even they carry glitteratzi now.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,111 Posts

You could get plain blank cards at a hobby store and decorate them with rubber stamps and ink! They even have metallic ink pads for a little sparkle. It’s an initial investment but Hobby Lobby does 50% off the stamps quite often.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 20,253 Times in 7,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
You could get plain blank cards at a hobby store and decorate them with rubber stamps and ink! They even have metallic ink pads for a little sparkle. Its an initial investment but Hobby Lobby does 50% off the stamps quite often.
That's how I do postcards now that I don't travel. It's cheaper in the long run and he doesn't have to see "City, State" landmarks/interesting facts about the town I live in over and over.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:14 PM

I know what you mean about trying to find a suitable Christmas card! I spent so long looking at all the cards in the post shop trying to find one that would make it through the mail room! Hes still waiting to receive it too 😂🔫
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiPP For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-31-2018)