Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Default TDD questions/How long does it take to hear from them? (Iowa)

So, long story short - my fiance/husband just got sent to Oakdale prison (Iowa Medical and Classification Center) last Friday (April 13th). I have mailed a visitors application, a money order along with the phone credit paper, a money order for his commissary and two letters to him. Today is Tuesday April 17th and I haven't heard anything at all from him other than a call from the county jail he was in saying I was appointed to come pick up his property because he was being transferred. How long until I get a phone call? How do I get on his call list? I am assuming he was add me to it. I sent the money but I figure maybe I am just being impatient with snail mail and the weekend. I just wanna hear from him, even a letter. ugh!

My other question is, his TDD is listed as 4/08/2020. which would make sense since he is being charged with a two year misdemeanor. However, he gets 5 months of time served from being in county jail plus the three days he spent there before he got transferred. I heard once you get down to Oakdale that it gets cut in half and with his time served, it should be another 5 months or so tops. I even confirmed this with his lawyer. So why does it say 2020 for a discharge date? Any help would be amazing on either question. I'm going crazy. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 PM

From your other post sounds like you finally heard from him. As far as the visiting form, that could take a few weeks before you get approved. He will let you know once you do. In Oakdale the rules are a lot stricter because it is the classification center... they are trying to figure out where these guys will wind up doing there time based on their crime, mental health issues, drug issues, etc. They also go through medical testing, etc. while there. His TDD date won’t change until he sees the board or gets a decision from them and it all depends on his crime. For example my guy got 25 yrs, he’s done 17.5 yrs (the mandatory amount of time he had to do before he could even see the board). His TDD has always showed 2022. His mandatory was up so he was presented before the parole board. They granted an early parole so now his TDD actually shows as tomorrow’s date because that’s his release date now (now we are waiting on a bed to open at the HWH).... but as of tomorrow he can be out any day now... will probably be another month or so though. So long story short, don’t put too much weight on his TDD unless he is told he has to serve all his time... he will know more about how much time once he is assigned to and sees his counselor.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Thank you for your reply. I did hear from him, about two hours after this initial post. It made me feel kind of silly. lol. His TDD has changed also. He is doing 2 years for an aggravated misdemeanor. They have his recall date listed as Oct 13th 2018 and his TDD as Nov 7th 2019. He did 5 months in county jail that he got credit for. So I am still semi confused on when he might be home, whether it's October of this year or November of next year. He doesn't have a minimum. I read online somewhere that they are reviewed a month before their recall dates? I am not sure how this all works. We weren't together when he went to prison the first time.

PS. I am SO excited for you that your guy will be home soon, if he isn't already!!

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

You won't know when he's coming home until he is reviewed as that determines if/when he will come home. If his recall is October 2018, he should hear something in late September. He will hear whether he is getting out or if they want him to do more time and will have to wait a few more months for another review. On an aggravated misdemeanor though, I doubt he will be in there that long. Just know that you won't know anything until around September, so try not to speculate or worry too much until then because there is nothing you can do about it right now.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LForney88 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I did hear from him, about two hours after this initial post. It made me feel kind of silly. lol. His TDD has changed also. He is doing 2 years for an aggravated misdemeanor. They have his recall date listed as Oct 13th 2018 and his TDD as Nov 7th 2019. He did 5 months in county jail that he got credit for. So I am still semi confused on when he might be home, whether it's October of this year or November of next year. He doesn't have a minimum. I read online somewhere that they are reviewed a month before their recall dates? I am not sure how this all works. We weren't together when he went to prison the first time.

PS. I am SO excited for you that your guy will be home soon, if he isn't already!!
Thanks for the support. My honey has to go to work release/HWH once he is out (because of his crime/amount of time served) but before he can go there a bed has to be available, so we have to wait for a bed to open up first which could be another month or two. Stupid IDOC! So today is hard, he should be out today but isn't...