Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Default father died

i writing this in hopes to get a little guidance, my father was in the southern mi facility since jan 2005. i was contacted this past monday by his sister that he had died sunday aug 20th. i have only meet him once 5 yrs ago for about 20 minutes but recieved letters from him after he was released from federal prison very often they stopped when he went back to jail i didnt even know what jail until now. anyways after many phone calls this week i still can not find out the cause of death, i do know he was sent to university of mi in ann arbor mi 4 days prior to his death in shackles, and that the doctor had them to remove them asap. i have since then gave him a proper burial since he was a VA soldier. i know he was not convicted of murder i believe it was assualt the prison said his sentence was only 3 to 10 yrs and he would have probalby on done 3 yrs. anyways i am not sure on how someone can be so sick that they die in 4 days, the sister was notified saturday that he was there she final got clearance to see him on sunday by then he was very sick very yellow color and was really already gone by the time she got there he was in an out. how do i get his medical records i want to know what was wrong he was only 59.
i since found out my father couldnt write or call the whole time he has been in there because he was not allowed his address book which had my number and address in there. i just dont understand before he went back in to this prison he was making honey and making donuts what happen in a year and 7months when he went back in just need closure.
i would appreciate any guidance..

tks
daughterky
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

daughterky,

I moved your post to it's own thread so Michigan members will see it and respond. I'm sure several of them will know who to contact to get a copy of his medical records and answers to your questions... I'm so sorry about your dad... I hope you are able to find out what happened soon...

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I am sorry you have to go through this and have to battel to get the answers that you need. I'm sure many members will come along to help you in your search. I would put a request in writing to the medical records department of MDOC to at least obtain any information they have. It may have information that would direct you to other sources to get more info. Again, I'm sorry that you have to ewxperience this. Take care!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

I am very sorry for your loss. Your family may want to get together and organize a plan for getting information.. the MDOC will be more cooperative if theres just one family member sending inquiries. If the MDOC is not favorable about giving you information you may need to contact an attorney.

I hope the best for you and your family.

mrsd
Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

I am sorry for your loss. I think mrsd gave you wonderful advice. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Closed

Sorry to hear this has happened and I pray that you are able to find closure to this situation. As previously mentioned, organizing a family effort does appear to be the best thing to do in a situation like this.

As far as him being sent to hospital in shackles that is actually MDOC's policy for when a prisoner is taken to a hospital and the only time they usually notify the inmate's emergency contact is when extreme emergency situations; We recently went through a similar situation with my husband. While in custody he wouldn't have been allowed to have phone book so the only way he could of had the phone book was if family or friend copied the info down for him and sent them; they usually allow them to send property they aren't able to have home. However, you can start by getting a death certificate that is public information and it would have the cause of death on it; you would even be able to order that online at www.michigan.gov/mdch. I pray the best to you and yours.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...that's an awful thing to happen to your dad...so sorry...keep after the information...
Old 08-28-2006, 06:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I agree with the other suggestions for getting information.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 PM

So sorry to hear about your Dad. Does your aunt by6 any chance know who his bunkie was or any friend he might have had there?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Donation Award 

I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you. Follow the information that everyone has given you and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.
~Confucius~
Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 AM

If you can get a name of the Health Services Manager (just call the facility and ask what the name is), you can email any state employee. Just go the Michigan.gov, near the top it says "helps & contacts," click on it, type the name and it will give you the email address for that person. With that said, I was a counselor. Although we were never given official info, we always knew. I had no problem sharing what I knew. You may want to just try calling his unit counselor.