Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Default Putting cash on my account before state prison / Collection of Inmate Debts

If I have say $3000 on my account in the county, it should follow me to camp Hill and my home prison.
My question is will the state take a percentage if it's already with me or us it like family putting in on the books and they take some?
How much do the take?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 03:25 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,879 Times in 16,525 Posts

You absolutely do not want to put that much cash on your books at county. Chances are damned good they'll take a percentage of it, as much as 50% depending on the State / County / jurisdiction.

State won't take a percentage unless you owe fees, fines, restitution, etc.

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 03:41 PM

It's Adams county. York county never took anything towards fines. Just the deposit fee. I can't recall anyone complaining about fine cost coming off the inmates accounts
I understand the state prison will take 50% if my family puts money on the books once I get there ?
What is the best route to go?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,717 Posts

Generally, when transferring from county to state it is separate bank accounts. Until sentencing, fines and fees are not placed upon the offender. When that money traders, it is looked at as new money and will be garnished up to whatever percentage each state takes.

You also dont want that much money for safety and extortion reasons.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2019), Ms Sunny (09-23-2019), nancyginnm (09-15-2019), patchouli (09-15-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 05:45 AM

I totally agree with what has already been stated about safety and extortion concerns.

It is absolutely not a good idea especially in state to have that much money in your account at one time. In state on a monthly basis an inmate is given a printout of their account information. Too many eyes can see the printed out report before it even gets to your hands - then word travels very quickly! Word usually comes from very unlikely sorces also, such as COs making comments to other COs and inmates over hearing it.

Me being in state for around four years I can tell you that it will be almost impossible to keep the fact that you have that much money on your account a Hush!!

Do yourself a big favor. Find someone on the outside that you can trust with your money and have them only send you a limited amount on a monthly basis. Also, don't flaunt your wealth buy buying a lot of commissary and clothing. Be very conservative when it comes to spending your money. Remember, there are a lot of eyes in prison and word travels extremely fast and usually to those you don't want to know or have anything to do with. You will be surprised also as to how many "fake" friends you will end up with once word gets out and most of these fake friends won't hesitate to take from you at the first chance.

Keep a low profile in State!!

The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:29 AM

In PA, how much do they take towards your fines and court cost when family puts money on your account?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:39 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,879 Times in 16,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berky View Post
In PA, how much do they take towards your fines and court cost when family puts money on your account?
Any funds taken from the deposits, as I understand it, must be ordered by the court. With that in mind, I'll look to see if I can find that percent. I have a commissary list for PA, that should help you determine (roughly) how much money you might need on a monthly basis:

https://www.cor.pa.gov/Inmates/Pages/Commissary-Catalogs.aspx

EDIT: Found it! Collection of Inmate Debts

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 09-16-2019 at 09:52 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:33 PM

Thank you. I'll take the advise and live and modestly, lay low and mind my own business.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Berky For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-19-2019), patchouli (09-16-2019), waitinguntil001 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
I'll take the advise and live and modestly, lay low and mind my own business.
These two methods are very recommended; doing these will really help your stay - Especially minding your own business.

And don't forget the Number One Rule of - "Respect your fellow inmate". Respect to both COs and inmates goes a very very long way in state.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-19-2019), patchouli (09-19-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:19 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,276 Posts

In a word: YES.

The DOC will make an assessment of all possible financial obligations:
Fines & restitution;
Court costs/fees
Child support;
Assessments by county facilities for theft, damages, etc.

Once they have determined your obligations in these four categories, you will be given a notice for the initial deduction. You have 15 days to file a written challenge. Once you exhaust this administrative procedure or you fail to challenge within 15 days, they make the deduction. For fines & restitution, they can take as much as you have as long as they leave you with $10. For costs and fees, they can take 20% of the account balance above $10.

After this initial deduction, they will escrow from all money deposited from prison wages or family/friends. (They can't deduct from benefit checks, refunds, etc.)

So, you can either go in with $3000 and see most of it sent to your sentencing court, or you can make those payments slowly by having your money sent to you periodically. I advise the latter.
fbopnomore (09-22-2019), patchouli (09-22-2019), waitinguntil001 (09-29-2019)