Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,670 Times in 638 Posts

I can see it going 2 different ways.

1) The inmates are more tech savy than the government; they will hack the tablets. They will figure out how to access the internet from the tablet or as piedpiper mentioned using a cell phone as a hot spot. Then DOC will try something to make them so limited they are useless as anything other than a music player. Imagine, the mail room that can't even pass on magazines, cds and paperbacks without being overly censored or taking months, having to deal with approving e-books or e-zines?

OR

2) They use tablets as an excuse to phase out in-person visits, which has happened in other states.

BUT

No matter what, it's another means to make money off of us. When ADOC got online payments in place and running for a few years, they eventually phased out sending money in any other form. We could send money orders, which were free from my bank. Then we couldn't and we pay $5 and up for each deposit to their accounts. Before Securepaks became the only method people used to send packages of products to inmates (before my time, but I know others have been around long enough to remember those times). I have seen the prices in other states for emails. I can see ADOC eventually saying no more cards, no more written letters or photographs; everything having to go through one of those 3 big companies that control the market.

Of course, those contracts seem to give ADOC a percentage off the top and we, the consumers, are footing the bills for those companies to operate and pay their CEOs huge bonuses with the fees that we are charged for using these services.

There are always trade offs in life. There might be some positives for the inmates somewhere in doing this; but for the friends and families, it will cost.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Default Do you know the brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
I received information today regarding the distribution of the long promised tablets. Florence will be first receiving them sometime in July.
Do you have any other information?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post
Do you have any other information?
Such as?