Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison This forum is for all those - family, friends, spouses, wives, husbands, significant others, brothers, sisters, parents, and children - who lost a loved one or friend while incarcerated.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM

Default He died and no family knew for 11 days

I am terribly disturbed by this. Please tell me this is not the norm. How could this happen?

A story was aired by First Coast News in Jacksonville, Florida, yesterday but I can't post the link because I have not posted 25 times. And I can't paste the story due to copyright laws.

Basically the story goes that the inmate's sister got worried after a tip and called the prison to see if all was ok on New Year's Eve.

Nothing.

Family looked his status up on FDOC website and found out, online that he was "deceased".

Long story short ...

Turns out he had passed 11 days before the New Years' Eve phone call.

FDOC says they did not notify the family because the emergency contact info was out of date.

May God Bless and keep this family.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyintheLake For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyintheLake View Post
I am terribly disturbed by this. Please tell me this is not the norm. How could this happen?

A story was aired by First Coast News in Jacksonville, Florida, yesterday but I can't post the link because I have not posted 25 times. And I can't paste the story due to copyright laws.

Basically the story goes that the inmate's sister got worried after a tip and called the prison to see if all was ok on New Year's Eve.

Nothing.

Family looked his status up on FDOC website and found out, online that he was "deceased".

Long story short ...

Turns out he had passed 11 days before the New Years' Eve phone call.

FDOC says they did not notify the family because the emergency contact info was out of date.

May God Bless and keep this family.
Horrible. Simply inhumane and horrible. It seems when you go to prison you are treated like garbage. Everything is stripped from you- your dignity, self worth and obviously your freedom. Shame on them not trying to locate someone to tell them immediately. They should be reprimanded. But I am sure they won't. I am a newbie but there has to be a human rights group for prisoners. This should be reported.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hamsa For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-07-2017), fbopnomore (01-06-2017), Kimimi (01-06-2017), LadyintheLake (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,793 Posts

Here's the link
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...rted/382496676

Florida inmate had died 11 days before his family was alerted
Old 01-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,360 Times in 2,584 Posts

Unfortunately, it is all too common for family to not be notified when they're supposed to be. My dad was sent to the hospital after he collapsed. Oregon DOC *should* have notified me within 72 hours. Instead, my dad called me using one of the guard's cell phones 6 days later. The day my Dad died, a friend of mine had finally located her father-in-laws remains after 3 months of trying to find him/his remains through FBoP.

I had the "luxury" of knowing my Dad was dying, so I could keep my fingers in the process. Sudden deaths are much more difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Unfortunately, it is all too common for family to not be notified when they're supposed to be. My dad was sent to the hospital after he collapsed. Oregon DOC *should* have notified me within 72 hours. Instead, my dad called me using one of the guard's cell phones 6 days later. The day my Dad died, a friend of mine had finally located her father-in-laws remains after 3 months of trying to find him/his remains through FBoP.

I had the "luxury" of knowing my Dad was dying, so I could keep my fingers in the process. Sudden deaths are much more difficult.
Sorry for your loss. If I have learned anything through the horror of having someone in jail is that there is no use in fighting a system that controls everything. Maddening is an understatement to how everything is done. May
g-d give us all strength to ensure that which is beyond our control.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanked 10,963 Times in 5,948 Posts

Contacts are made based upon the information supplied by the offender. The agencies don't have the resources to play skip-tracer. Obviously the fact that this was over the holidays complicated matters, but even when A family member has been contacting the facility staff in some manner, it does not mean the agency was authorized to even consider them as a primary point of contact IF the number was even easily accessible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
LadyintheLake (01-07-2017), Ms Sunny (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Contacts are made based upon the information supplied by the offender. The agencies don't have the resources to play skip-tracer. Obviously the fact that this was over the holidays complicated matters, but even when A family member has been contacting the facility staff in some manner, it does not mean the agency was authorized to even consider them as a primary point of contact IF the number was even easily accessible.
Thank you, that makes so much more sense. Still, it is very unfortunate that this happened.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:53 PM

Thanked 10,963 Times in 5,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyintheLake View Post
Thank you, that makes so much more sense. Still, it is very unfortunate that this happened.
I agree that it was unfortunate...
Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 PM

It's definitely sad....

It's kind of like when a car crash or even a crime happens and the news can't release the victim's name until immediate family is notified. In this case they had no one on file to notify since the information was out of date. They can't release the information to a person who calls; simply because they can't verify who the person is - and even if they could, as noted, they wouldn't have the authorization to release such information to that person. As sad as it is, they were following procedures on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmh1013 For This Useful Post:
LadyintheLake (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,264 Posts

I started a comment, but feel it is safer, just to shake my head. I am so sorry for the family.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-09-2017), GingerM (01-07-2017), LadyintheLake (01-08-2017)