Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Default Sending "cards" in the mail

I'd be grateful for some feedback on sending cards in the mail to inmates.
Yesterday my new penpal (at Leavenworth) wrote to me:

this institution doesn't allow any card or anything like that. pictures ok though.

Do you think that birthday cards, Christmas cards, etc... are out? Or is it just blank cards or homemade cards? What about picture postcards? What is everyone's experience with this...?

Also, could someone explain what the security risk to a prison is from sending cards??

Once I had a letter returned (from Allenwood) because I enclosed some blank cards. But I have always sent birthday cards, etc... to other prisons, and also postcards, with no problem.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,975 Times in 7,469 Posts

I'm not overly familiar with BOP mail policies but I know they cracked down about a year or so ago and limited types of incoming mail.

The risk...well, if you can think it up, it's a risk. Typically the problem with card stock with images is that they can soak the card in a liquefied substance, dry it, and depend on the card image to conceal the substance. The drug is then introduced into the facility where it can be consumed in various formats. That's why glossy photos are ok, you can't soak those or they fall apart. Postcards and greeting cards can hide more.

Sorry to say it's such a common practice that they had to go that extreme, but I understand the reason behind it.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM

If your penpal said the facility doesn't allow any card, then I'd take their word and not send anything other than handwritten letters or pictures.

From my understanding - cards are easier to smuggle drugs in. Like peeling apart the card and sticking it back together or something - or even soaking parts in drugs etc. Of course if the card doesn't have their address on it (even when included with a letter or envelope) it will also not make it.

It depends on the facility. I've sent a postcard to a state facility, and it was fine. I've sent a Christmas card to a federal facility and it was fine. I sent two postcards to a federal facility and they were rejected.

It's luck of the draw!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM
One Day Closer

My guys in FEDS. I sent cards all the time in various colored envelopes. No problem.

That changed a few months ago because outsiders were using cards and colored envelopes to smuggle drugs in.