Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Smile Ontario Federal inmate clothing question

Hello I’m new to this form and had a question regarding clothing. I am trying to prepare my bfs package to be sent when he gets to Joyceville/his mother institute. I went on the CSC website and it says they can have 2 sweaters and 3 sweatshirts ... what type of sweaters/sweatshirts can they be? Hooded ones? Zippers? Or they can only have screw neck? Also for jackets just any ?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 AM

I believe I sent in pullover sweaters and sweatshirts. But I think I've seen guys in hoodies at visits.

I sent in a pullover windbreaker/raincoat with both zipper and hood and one of those puffy coats for the winter.

I have my lists if you want to take a look at what I sent in.

hugs
Old 05-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
I believe I sent in pullover sweaters and sweatshirts. But I think I've seen guys in hoodies at visits.

I sent in a pullover windbreaker/raincoat with both zipper and hood and one of those puffy coats for the winter.

I have my lists if you want to take a look at what I sent in.

hugs

That would be awesome ...as I was just looking on the csc website and it’s not quite clear. Is he in a minimum where you sent them? My bf will be going to medium.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 PM
OnparoleinTO

My recollection is no hoodies on sweatshirts. Sweaters and jackets can be anything. Medium and minimum rules on possession are basically the same but as usual, it can depend on which CO happens to be opening the parcels and their arbitrary decisions.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:35 AM

I Just went through this with my partner at Joyceville. I get the impression there is not one concise answer, and it mostly depends on who sorts through your package when it is delivered to the facility.

I was told no hoodies and no zippers on anything (pants or shirts). Sweatshirts are to be the plain pullover style. No clothing can have double lining (a lot of athletic gear is double lined, so you really have to hunt for stuff that's not). Also, no cargo style pants and no camouflage print. Shoes cannot have any metal, not even the little metal circles around the lace holes. No drawstrings on anything. Jeans cannot be button fly.

Also keep in mind what he went in with. If he was wearing a sweatshirt or t-shirt when he went in...that counts towards his overall clothing allowance.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOF1977 View Post
I Just went through this with my partner at Joyceville. I get the impression there is not one concise answer, and it mostly depends on who sorts through your package when it is delivered to the facility.

I was told no hoodies and no zippers on anything (pants or shirts). Sweatshirts are to be the plain pullover style. No clothing can have double lining (a lot of athletic gear is double lined, so you really have to hunt for stuff that's not). Also, no cargo style pants and no camouflage print. Shoes cannot have any metal, not even the little metal circles around the lace holes. No drawstrings on anything. Jeans cannot be button fly.

Also keep in mind what he went in with. If he was wearing a sweatshirt or t-shirt when he went in...that counts towards his overall clothing allowance.

Oh great just to make things even more confusing...what jackets don’t have zippers... I did call about the sweaters and was told no knitted sweaters only sweatshirts.... what did you do for Tupperware ?? And shorts I guess only the athletic thins ones?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:28 AM

Default Provincial Clothing.

Hi all,

I know this thread is about Federal Prison but I was wondering if anyone knew if you send clothes to inmates in Provincial Jails. I'm looking at some jail time soon, and I was wondering if i would be able to order clothing or if you just have to wear the regular inmate clothing. thanks.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:57 AM
Полезный дурак

Bcguy,

Not much experience with provincial jails as my husband was only in ~ 3 - 4 mos. awaiting a bail review : so, not sentenced, like you.

But as I recall going through all the inmate guidelines back then on the Solicitor General website, you must wear institution - issued clothing while housed in the institution.

Only time clothes got brought in was a suit for court.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
bcguy (06-29-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:43 AM
OnparoleinTO

No external clothes in provincial jails, at least in Ontario. Only orange jumpsuits, etc. issued by the jail.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
bcguy (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM

I thought for the feds everything had to be ordered from commissary except books?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Provincial Clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onparoleinTO View Post
No external clothes in provincial jails, at least in Ontario. Only orange jumpsuits, etc. issued by the jail.
onparoleinTo: Thanks. In pretrial centre in BC, we had to wear Red t shirts and sweatpants. kitchen workers wore white. I'm heading to a provincial jail for sentenced inmates, so I'm not sure if outside clothes are allowed or if you can buy clothing from the canteen.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 AM
OnparoleinTO

I have not heard of buying clothes from commissary in any provincial jail. You could probably check with someone like John Howard Society in BC and find out about what they were in BC provincial jails; I expect it will all be clothing they issue. This is largely because most people in provincial jails are only there a short time - average is a month or two - so they don't want to handle all the logistics of varied clothing.

As for priceAM - in Canadian federal prisons they provide prisoners with clothes - jeans, t-shirts, underwear, socks, even shoes. You can bring in some of your own clothes, which you can wear off 'working hours' when you first get there, and after that you can buy clothes through the purchasing service - limited range and high prices.