Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in New Jersey, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:37 PM
Donation Award 

Default Time credit for pandemic

My husband is incarcerated in NJ where they have passed a bill granting "pandemic credit" to inmates. I am not sure if other states are following suite, or if so they are writing similar laws.

While this is a commendable effort in writing this bill, it only gives pandemic credit to those nearing the end of their sentences. I am writing the legislator to argue that this pandemic credit should be given to all who have been incarcerated during this time. The following are my argument points:

1. All inmates have suffered what had been deemed by the ACLU as "cruel and unusual punishment" while being in custody during the pandemic. I would like to give as many examples as possible here, so if folks could share their experiences of how their loved one has been unusually affected by the pandemic, that would be helpful.

2. That to continue staying in line with fair and consistent sentencing practices, it is unfair to give time off to one person and not another serving similar time for a similar offense, both serving time during the pandemic, simply because one is a year further along in their sentence.

3. Giving credit to all would expedite the parole eligibility date for many further reducing the population.

I would love some input here on all of these points and any others that anyone can think of. If one is not familiar with the NJ law it is Senate bill 2519. I know many are also missing out on time credit because they are stuck in county jails, not able to work, attend classes or other situations that have prevented them from earning credit. this is further punishment as they would be eligible for parole sooner under normal circumstances. So, to me, they are facing harsher punishment then they would under normal circumstances. thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and offer input.
The Following User Says Thank You to K.berlywhite For This Useful Post:
GingerM (01-16-2021)
Sponsored Links