Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,066 Times in 12,743 Posts
Default Longest serving solitary/supermax prisoner dies

Thomas Silverstein, 67, who served 35 years in federal Bureau of Prisons solitary confinement, more time than any other prisoner, died on May 11 in Colorado. He was in USP Atlanta's hole before being transferred to the USP Florence ADMAX. Here's the link to the CNN article.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/co...verstein-dies/

Last edited by fbopnomore; 05-25-2019 at 09:40 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-26-2019), NUYORICAN (05-25-2019), safran (05-25-2019), Taliba00 (05-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Thomas Silverstein, 67, who served 35 years in federal Bureau of Prisons solitary confinement, more time than any other prisoner, died on May 11 in Colorado. He was in USP Atlanta's hole before being transferred to the USP Florence ADMAX.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/co...verstein-dies/
Wow I'm sorry to hear that. He is in a better place now
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to upsetspouse For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-25-2019), NUYORICAN (05-25-2019), Taliba00 (05-26-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Hopelessly Devoted To Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetspouse View Post
Wow I'm sorry to hear that. He is in a better place now
agree.
fbopnomore (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 05:35 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,776 Times in 7,602 Posts

He died May 11.

He was in part responsible for the creation of the Super Max and the use of solitary as a long term solution for particularly dangerous prisoners.

You can read more about him through Pete Early's tribute and his book http://www.peteearley.com/2019/05/12...Pete+Earley%29

Or at the blog maintained for Tommy, though it hasn't been updated a ton. https://thomassilverstein.net

In the end, Terrible Tommy as he was known, was still a white supremacist, though he regretted the murder of the prison guard that landed him in solitary. He also found his way to a calmer self through meditation and Buddhism.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-26-2019), fbopnomore (05-25-2019), miamac (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Thomas Silverstein, 67, who served 35 years in federal Bureau of Prisons solitary confinement,
That's nearly my entire life. Hard to even wrap my head around. I only know of him what's posted in this thread, but I have to wonder if, at some point and any threat aside, reintegration to a 'normal' yard would be unbearable.

May he and his past actions rest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-26-2019), fbopnomore (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
That's nearly my entire life. Hard to even wrap my head around. I only know of him what's posted in this thread, but I have to wonder if, at some point and any threat aside, reintegration to a 'normal' yard would be unbearable.

May he and his past actions rest.
I think he could have been integrated into a regular yard, provided it wasn,t full of gangs. Dude had a target on his back by more than just prison officials. As a man in his 60’s with decades of practice in meditation and Buddhism, I think he would have adapted. I don't think the prison system could have adapted as he was marked as, “Terrible Tommy”, the guy who would shiv you as soon as he could. He killed one prison guard, was held responsible for a number of riots, and helped start the Aryan Brotherhood (or some other white supremacist group, my memory fails me) when he was a young guy. He was forever marred by that reputation and never given a chance to try to rehabilitate his rep within the prison system. There is a huge chasm between the Tommy of the 70’s and the Tom of the 21st century. In the right circumstances, he could have integrated nicely. But, he was never given the chance.

As he noted, every time there was a change in warden, the first thing the warden did was strip away any and all privileges he had earned - books, art supplies, etc, etc, to demonstrate the power of the warden and the system. The system was completely incapable of forgiving the man, and that is not justice or rehabilitation.

And for the record, I don't think the man should have ever walked free. I do think that he should have been allowed to rehabilitate and try to make amends for what he did. He could have done that easily (relatively speaking) by earning his way into a situation for older prisoners where he could have helped care for his peers.
choclgs (05-26-2019), fbopnomore (05-26-2019), miamac (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
And for the record, I don't think the man should have ever walked free. I do think that he should have been allowed to rehabilitate and try to make amends for what he did. He could have done that easily (relatively speaking) by earning his way into a situation for older prisoners where he could have helped care for his peers.
It sounds like he became 'the' example. Did this make him more of a martyr figure for AB and other groups? I can understand keeping him safe and how that task could have been challenging. But as you said, developing a yard with older, stable, inmates sounds like it may have been the answer. But that requires dropping a hard line and expending resources. Not something officials are fond of doing at that level.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,926 Posts

“He could have done that easily (relatively speaking) by earning his way into a situation for older prisoners where he could have helped care for his peers.”

The feds never, ever let violent offenders work as care givers. I understand and agree with your point, but the guy pretty much caused himself to be thought of as forever high risk.
KarmaRocks (05-27-2019), mojook (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
“He could have done that easily (relatively speaking) by earning his way into a situation for older prisoners where he could have helped care for his peers.”

The feds never, ever let violent offenders work as care givers. I understand and agree with your point, but the guy pretty much caused himself to be thought of as forever high risk.
Therein lies the problem with the feds - even after more than 30 years in solitary, decades without a write-up, he couldn't work his way out of solitary into any sort of situation. There was no leeway for change.

When he went into solitary, he was a violent man. Over time, with a lot of work on his part, he became content with his fate and regretted the murder and riots that put him there. But the prison system could not see it that way. Prison systems cannot see or accommodate reasonably inmates as they age. This is especially true of long term solitary prisoners.
His_Queen13 (05-27-2019), miamac (05-26-2019), Taliba00 (05-26-2019)