Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Kentucky that do not fit into any other Kentucky sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:35 AM
Donation Award 

Default Sentenced for 2

Well I signed a plea agreement a few months ago for 2 years on "2" class D's.
I'm on "SSDI". Been on it for about 4 or 5 years now & have read up on when & how that stops & starts back up.

My body is always in pain from 4 cervical(Neck) operation's & am fused 8 levels in my neck & into my thoracic area. I'm on a regiment of pain meds & trying to get a stimulator put in before I go in. I've had the trial done & went great for me. But now going for the permanent one. The local jail nurse was a real S.O.B.! And got me kicked out if my long time PM Clinic! I had popped off to her & she spouted a few words to me & I said a few choice words about her size & weight... She called my PM Doc & they dismissed me for "Improper Comments". Oh well I'm actually much better off because of getting the wheels rolling for the Neuro-Stimulator.

I'm in constant pain. Can't work because of it. I know that I'll be on pain meds rest of my life due to FBS(failed back syndrome). I can't walk that far, stand for more than 10-15 minutes... Ect. Ect. Ect….

Enough of that.... My question/question's are I've been doing some researching on serving my time.
I've seen that I could get enough time credit of close to
6mos-6mos 21 days for a "Good Year".
At 2 years I'd serve out at a little over 13 months total.
But not sure totally.
Plus I've read that I could get paroled at "15%"....
But although not guaranteed on that.
But with my medical problems I've got a better chance.
So if I get "Shocked out in 30 days or so, should I refuse it?
And go for the Parole spot instead?

I know that parole would be better than being shocked. But I could also run the risk of being locked up for over a year & if so I'd have to re-apply for my SSDI if incarcerated over 12 months. So I could really use some help here on what you folks have seen.

And another question more about my medical needs.

I need a cane to walk around. Not all of the time. But often enough to really need it inside. When I inquired about it after firs being arrested the nurse did everything she could not to be a help.

So I need my cane.
Need other meds like
Gabapentin, Flexeril, Trintellix(Depression)…
And a few others I'm sure of as well. But I know that I can receive these like before.
So would the county keep me?
Send me to a state prison? medical facility?
I really don't know & know that the latter two is always better than being locked up in county.

I know that I asked a slew of questions & can't expect all of them to be answered. But anything will help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,799 Posts

Gosh I wish you all the best. Here in michigan it's pretty hard to get pain meds. My husband had two back surgeries right before going in and was also on a med for depression. He was taken off them as soon as he got to prison and told they were not in the formulary so he's been having a hard time but no matter what he has to make it through.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,063 Times in 16,175 Posts

I can answer some of your questions, but not quite all. However, I'm sure sass4221 can provide info as well.

Parole is never guaranteed, but you will become eligible for parole after serving 15%:
Quote:
A nonviolent offender convicted of a Class D felony with an aggregate sentence of one (1) to five (5) years who is confined to a state penal institution or county jail shall have his or her case reviewed by the Parole Board after serving fifteen percent (15%) or two (2) months of the original sentence, whichever is longer.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=46847

That "review" is just that, a File Review." You will not see the Board face-to-face.

This may sound crazy, at first.....but, can you ask your attorney to request that 1 day be added to your sentence I really don't know the answer to that, the Prosecutor and/or Judge may decline to add 1 day but its worth a try as Prosecutors & Judges aren't always up to snuff on the workings of the DOC Here's why you need that 1 more day:

Quote:
439.3406 Mandatory reentry supervision six months prior to projected completion date of inmate's sentence for inmate not granted discretionary parole.

...shall not apply to an inmate who:

(d) Has been sentenced to two (2) years or less of incarceration;
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=46773

With your sentence being only 2 years, I would not accept Shock...wouldn't even file for it Street times does not count if you're granted Shock and they will give you more probation time than you're entire 2 year sentence. Street time counts on parole and you "walk off" your parole on the outside. If you decide to file for Shock, it might be in your best interest to not file at the 30 day mark but wait until closer to the 180 day deadline.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,052 Times in 3,008 Posts

Sorry but the strongest medication for pain will be Tylenol or ibuprofen. Regular old-fashioned over-the-counter kind.

No flexerill or gabapentin or anything classified as a narcotic. As for anti-depressants, I've never heard of the one you mentioned so I'm sure DOC won't have it. You'll have to be placed on whatever they prescribe.

With such a short sentence, you will most likely stay in county. Some prison inmates are allowed canes but I believe they are the ones in the hospital units only.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks for the replies.... I know that when I was 1st arrested(Henderson Co.) I was denied all Rx's all of them. But after 2-4 days I started receiving Gabapentin, Topamax(Migraines) but not allowed my cane(go figure). This county jail is pretty useless when you're talking about any uniformity. I'm trying to get a "Neurostimulator" installed before my in date(don't know if possible) but I know that it works for me on pain & other things. I got the date pushed back to June 7 now. Don't know if I can get all of it done. I have talked to a few folks & I'm thinking the same way on trying to get parole instead of shock. But worried about the SSDI as well. If I'm in over 12 months I lose all benefits & have to re-apply. So not sure on what I'll do there.

I'm now taking Depakote, flexeril, trintellix & pain opiates(Know that's out of the question). But hoping for the best on at least getting something for my pain. It is in my case bed ridding. just like past few days I've been screwed in lower back as well.

I'll try to keep all informed. But don't know either what the future will bring.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Donation Award 

I do expect to be staying in the county for the entire length but with all of the ailments & such I could be sent off because of the cost as well(from what I heard). I also figure I'll be on extended supervision because of the restitution too. I'm on SSDI & payback is like $18k! So anytime the county/state prosecutor wants to be an ass they can revoke me & put me back in fir anytime they want. I just hope to be able to have some $$ put up for a place to move to & get my SSDI started back up.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,052 Times in 3,008 Posts

Wherever you do wind up, you'll be put on the meds they use, not the ones you currently use. If they don't have certain ones, then its possible you'll do without. You will be responsible for paying for meds while in a county facility.

Since you are physically limited and jail jobs are few and far between you most likely won't work to get work credit. Work credit is up to 4 days a month as long as one works 40 hours a week. 30 hours a week is 3 days, etc. So the most good time you will get is 7 days a month off. Any programs will get you 90 days off.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

It may depend on the county & who their medical provider is, but worth asking if they'll allow your meds to be dropped off at the jail by a friend and dispersed by Medical personnel. All they can say is "no."

I believe Medical will take a percent of any funds put on your books, every time there's funds put on your books. And that's in addition to whatever percent the jail takes for "room & board." Each county sets their percent, so it varies from jail to jail.

Medical will not cut off your meds or refuse to see you if there is no money on your books, or at least they're not supposed to.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,950 Times in 7,785 Posts

I know zip about KY so this isn't related to your time to serve, but...

If I read that right, your date is in less than a month? The meds you're on, as I'm sure you know and may have been through already, can cause horrible withdrawal. Your Trintellix is safe to sudden stop, but a sudden drop in serotonin directly affects your perception of pain. AKA-- you're in double the hell. But I'm specifically looking at Depakote. Depending on the strength and how long you've been on it, a sudden and full stop could induce seizures. If you have the time and the option, as sh*tty as it is to go through, I'd talk to your provider about tapering off now so you can go slow.

Just a thought from one chronic pain person to another and obviously your provider can help you make educated decisions. Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-14-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:17 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks to all have responded since my last posts.....

Well, I got some good news today about my implant! I have a scheduled surgical appointment on June 7! Yay!!!
Only bad thing is I'm supposed to go in on June 4th.... Booohhhhh

What my plans are to go in tomorrow or Monday & have my operation printed out by my dr & see if the'll put off a few(4-5) more days so I can for sure get it done.
They(States Atty's) allowed me 2 extensions. But said no more after that. So I'm hoping that since it's so close to my date & a few days past that they'll allow it.

Hell, I'll turn myself in on a Sunday if they'd just allow 3 more days & 1 to recoup!

Well, I'll keep you updated on any & all updates from me.

The Following User Says Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 AM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I hope they allow for the extension so you can get the procedure Good Luck!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 06-25-2018, 12:33 AM
Donation Award 

Well, here's probably the last time I'll post until I get out....

The "Prosecutor" did allow me to get the stimulator done and I was supposed to go in last week and then the next day have a doctor's appointment too. But Henderson Co. had no a/c one day so I got a reprieve for another week.
I did get my staples out and I go to court today for sentencing

Thank you all for your help and advice. I have pretty much decided that if they offer me "Shock probation" I'll decline & wait for parole. Because of the situations it can put me in. As in probation can send me over and over to county time and parole will be state....
I'll be on that until restitution is made(which can be a while for me).

If & when I get out I'll read up on here....

Roadiez

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-25-2018), Sarianna (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 AM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Hey. When the Judge sentences you, hold your head up...don't get that "defeated" look on your face. I think it annoys them if you're not tore up

Do you have family / friends that will write? If so, make a list of phone numbers, addresses, birthdays etc that someone can mail to you. Make a list of all user names / passwords for any online accounts and put in a safe place.

Take care, have a safe & speedy journey and you'll be Home before you know it Let us know when you're Home

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-25-2018)