Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 09-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Default Commissary in Virginia DOC.... any way to get price lists?

So... my boyfriend is at Rappahannock, and awaiting getting a price list for their commissary.

We just got his account out of the negative, but at $2.50 a day, and I am waiting on them to tell me what they are charging for his medication given daily... we don't have a lot to spare, but we want to make sure he has specific things... I have pulled some online, but they all are so different, some are double the prices of others.... Some have earbuds for 10, some for 15, some for 5.... I am unsure if they will even give me a price list, as I have caused quite a stir due to his medical conditions....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I feel ya on this one. What irritates me the most is the limited options that we get to choose from on the list. My boyfriend speaks of quite a few items that he kind of "enjoys" eating that I would like to make sure he has plenty of that aren't on the list of things we can send. He says that the prices for us are considerably higher than the prices he can get from commissary.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaGsdFamily View Post
So... my boyfriend is at Rappahannock, and awaiting getting a price list for their commissary.

We just got his account out of the negative, but at $2.50 a day, and I am waiting on them to tell me what they are charging for his medication given daily... we don't have a lot to spare, but we want to make sure he has specific things... I have pulled some online, but they all are so different, some are double the prices of others.... Some have earbuds for 10, some for 15, some for 5.... I am unsure if they will even give me a price list, as I have caused quite a stir due to his medical conditions....
I believe rappahannock is a regional/county jail and commissary prices are very high. Inmates are only charged a daily " resident fee" at the county level and not charged at State level. Commissary is MUCH cheaper once moved to a state prison. County level 1 soup may cost 1.00 and at state level it may cost 3/$1.00

Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 AM

You are correct. It is a privately owned facility, hence why I am having issues with getting them reported. On topic, I got the lady in accounts to send me a commissary price list. All fine and dandy, except now they have decided to charge him out the ass for "things", like medical. I wish they would bill me instead when he gets out and let us pay it. That would be better than putting his account in the negative, it's hard enough missing his income and trying to keep it together. On another note, I guess I will get with legal aid to see if they can help me do something about his care since nobody I have contacted cares, and the Superintendent is playing dodgeball with my calls.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanked 1,462 Times in 799 Posts

>It is a privately owned facility

$#@!

You can try a public records request anyway but my guess is it would be a waste of time.