Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Account Closed

Default Anyone know the rules for sending Books?

My fiance mentioned a book he is really wanting to read. I thought I would surprise him and send it, if I could. He is at Boonville. Anyone know the rules for sending books? I know you can usually order them online, I just don't want to have it sent and then it gets refused. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Donation Award 

All I can tell you is that I sent my guy a book from Barnes and Noble. It was shipped from their warehouse. They wouldn't let my guy have it and told him he could send it back or donate it to the prison library. Sorry !! I could send books while he was in jail but cannot, now that he is in prison. I believe that if he has money on his account he can purchase the book himself.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM

I know this is super late for the post but in case someone else reads it, my guy is in Clayton better known as Stl county and they let him get books as long as I ship them from the publisher or the bookstore and they must be paperback. So I order from amazon, you can find popular authors on there $0.01 and up... yes I said a penny and shipping is usually about $4.95 or so
The Following User Says Thank You to jcakester For This Useful Post:
Hardt (02-06-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Inmates can recieve up to 6 books, 4 times a year (My guy is on honor status, don't know if that matters). However, they can only have a total of 6 books so they have to get rid of them to get new ones. They will only allow books in from the "publisher" so they say. I have ONLY been able to get books in straight from Amazon. Hope this helps.

P.S. You can always call the prison and ask to speak to someone in the property room. They will give any answers to questions regarding what is and isn't allowed, as they are the ones that get everything to give to the inmates.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm doing fine!

jewelston is right, the only way you can send a book that I know of is by using amazon. That has been the only way I could do it, the last 4 years that my man has been locked up
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Did they change this in the last few years? I know about 3 years ago, the rules for books was that they had to get them themselves though the prison and their money books. So has this changed that you can get books now?

Also, the up to 6 books 4 times a year. Is that You can only send them 4 times a year, and a max of what he can have is 6 each time you send, as long as he doesnt have more than 6 in his possession?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:22 PM

But Jewelston, is that valid in Mo DOC prisons? I heard before they had to order books if they have money on their books. Has that changed for Missouri Prisons...or certain prisons?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM

It is for all missouri prisons...as far as I understand. And I just saw your question from a few months ago (sorry)...you can send UP TO 6 books, 4 times a year. However, they can only have a total of 6 books at any given time. Many inmates pass them around the prison, toss them, or send them home if they want to keep them.