Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other North Carolina sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 PM

Question New here

I am new to the forum. My husband is at the Sumter Lee Regional Detention Center in Sumter, SC serving a 30 month sentence at 85% as a trustee. He hase been incarceriated since Oct 14, 2004 and only has a little over a year left. I was able to get him transferred to SLRDC last December due to a family hardship since I have now 11month old twin boys. My question is...is there any way to get an early release for house arrest or some type of house confinement for a hardship. It is real hard trying to work and raise the boys on my own. I have to work in order to feed us, but I am barely making it and I have not been able to get any assistance other than daycare provided through DSS because I do work. If I do not work they only give me around $300.00 monthly to live on plus foodstamps, but when you are buying diapers, clothes and all of the other things babies need for 2 that does not work. Can someone just let me know if this is a possibility and if so where and who can I contact?

Thank you for any help and suggestions you can give me. Oh by the way, he works in the community in which we live for the Director of the jail and has been offered a job with the county in which we live in the maintenance dept if he can get out by January.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 AM

Hi Tobster, my heart goes out to you. You've got your hands full. I wish I could help you but I don't know anything about the legal issues. I wonder if you should put a post in the emergency issues forum. This certainly seems like an emergency to me. I would try to talk to a pastor, or someone who might would go to bat for me. He may even know some kind souls who'd love to help you out til Daddy comes home. I wish you luck and pray for something good to happen.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Sumter Lee Regional

Is this a federal institution? or another old prison that has had its' name changed? I have never heard of it......Susan
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 PM

Default mom-in-sc

My son is at Northside in spartaburg now. He was at Tigr River. He is an 85%er. Has 6 years done and a little less than 2 to go. I found this site by looking for sprint prepayed. I've only been a member for a few days and I can't seem to stay away from it. It is great! I wish I had found it a lot sooner. So much has happened in the last 6 years that he has been gone. I've felt like I was all alone and my heart was breaking because I didn't think I had anyone to talk to that understood what it is like to see your son locked behind metal doors and not be able to take him home with you. I've been so afraid for him but he has been so good and hasn't been in any trouble. It is so good to have someone to talk to about this, you are all great and if anyone has a loved one at Northside I would love to talk to you. Thank you all and God Bless.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome mom-in-sc! I loved reading your note. It made my day. I'm glad that you've found us! You described exactly how most of us feel. It's good to be able to talk to people who understand. Please ask any questions and post often!

He's Home!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:21 PM

Hi mom and welcome to this forum. You will find so much help, guidance, understanding and love here. It has really helped me a lot. I'm happy that your son only has a couple of years left. My son has 9 1/2 left and is hoping to get to go to Tyger River. Is it fairly nice? I've asked around but I don't think anyone else here has a loved one there.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Thanks Kahlan,I,m just glad to finally be here. I was so excited about this site that when my son called I spent a lot of our 15min.telling him about this site and letting him know that because of it I was able to find the answer to a question he was real concerned about. I had know idea how I was going to get the info I needed and then I found you all. God works in myterious ways. Thank you..Thank you..Thank you
Old 09-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Hi scdc mom,thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry your son still so much longer. I just don't think I will be around that much longer and couldn't stand the thought of not seeing him come home.He will be having his 41st. b-day the 13th. of this month and although he is a grown man he is still one of my babies. It has been about 4 years since he was at Tyger River but the one thing I remember him telling me was atleast he could work and make enough money to be able to take care of his self and even sent some come to his kids. He even was able to buy his first grandbaby her crib. I will try to find out some more info for you though.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:54 AM

Wow thanks so much for the info. My son is 24 and was sentenced to 20 years the day after his 17th birthday. Does Tyger River have a/c? I am glad to know that he may be able to work for pay finally. I'll be praying for you and your son. Please pray that my Joey will get to Tyger River soon.

Barb

Last edited by SCDC Mom; 09-11-2005 at 11:57 AM..
Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 PM

Default tyger river

Hi Barb, I talked to my son today and he said he could talk to me more this weekend when I come to see him. You know that the phone calls are being listened to and some times he would rather tell me things in person. Like I said it has been 4 years since he was there but he said he would try to let me know what he can. He asked where your son is coming from. and yes I think it does have a/c. I will keep your son in my prayers and you too. I,ll get back to you as soon as I find out more. Joyce
Old 09-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Hi my name is Dianne,my son was in Lexington County for 1 year.He has now been sentenced to 29 years to Lieber.I was so upset as the PD and his ATT. said he wouldn't get that long.What a waste of 5000.00 dollars.My son did make a bad choice and deserves some time but 29 years?
We live in Leesville,a little town outside of Lexington,I think it is a 2 to 3 hour drive.I haven't heard from him yet,so I don't know when I will see him.
Thankyou for this site,I need someone to talk to.I am 57 going to be 58 in Feb. I just hope I am alive when he gets out.
I am praying for all of us.

Last edited by Marchio1948; 09-14-2005 at 07:10 PM..
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Donation Award 

Hi Dianne. I'm so sorry to hear about your son's sentence. I know that you worked hard to get his amount of time served to a minimum. What happened? You must be heartbroken. Please take care of yourself. He's going to need you to get through this.

He's Home!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Joyce, my son would be coming from McCormick C.I.. I am still praying that we can get him to Tyger River.

Diane, I am so sorry about your son's sentence. My son was sentenced to 20 years at 17. It seems like forever but believe me after the initial shock and hurt, the time does go by fairly quick. My son has been gone for a little over 17 years and has a little over 9 to go. Some days it feels like he has been gone forever and some days it seems as though it was yesterday. Good luck and keep coming here for support.

Barb
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Hello Everyone, I'm from the Upstate and my husband is at Livesay in Spartanburg.
I found this site by browsing the Internet. My heart goes out to all of you who have a loved one in prison. This has been like a nightmare that you just can't seem to wake up from.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Welcome, Annie-Doll. Welcome also to all the new members. When I feel sorry for myself I remember that some mama's are going to be missing their sons a lot longer than me and so I have no reason to whine. Dianne, I am so sorry. I can only imagine how heavy your heart must be. I'm praying for you and all the mom's. And of course, our babies.
Sherrie
Old 09-27-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Pam510

Hi,
My name is Pam, and I went to my DR. yesterday for some help with my dealing with my son in prison. I live in the upstate here in South Carolina. My son was in McCormick Correctional Institution, he was there for 5 years or so, he had never had any problems at McCormick, he is a loner of sorts, feeling that the more people that you stay away from, is best. That way you don't get into trouble. Well, an inmate in there told on people with cell phones. They did a search, and found several cells in there with cell phones. My son had no cell phone, but he did have a cell phone head piece that he was using with his radio. He was took to lock down, was in lock down for a week, during that week, he was took to his hearing, they wouldn't let him say anything in his defense, and all of his priviledges were taken away for a year. No visits, no canteen, no phone calls. Then with-in 1 week, he was moved to Tyger River, which is closer to home. But he can't have any visits, so my son, his name is Danny, is turning really bitter. He thinks the prison he was in moved him to Tyger River since he can't have any visits to punish him even more. He is really having a hard time dealing with this, he was innocent, but he is being treated worse than the ones that did have the cell phones. Anyways, that's a lil bit about me.
Thank ya'll for listening.
Pam
Old 09-28-2005, 01:42 AM

Hey, Pam. I'm glad you joined us. I've been on anti-depressants since my son got into trouble in February. I miss my son so very much - we all miss them. It is said that when a door slams God opens a window. I am hoping this is so with our sons and daughters. I know for me I am hoping to get a son back that stops and thinks before he does something instead of letting other people lead him around.

I heard about the mess at McCormick. My source told me they found 125 cell phones, $20,000.00 in cash, several pounds of marijuana and I forget what amount of crack cocaine. I'm sorry your son got caught up in that. Having a hearing piece and having a telephone are different things, I'd think. I am so sorry he lost so much for a whole year. I hope it doesn't turn him bitter. I know this will be awful hard on all of you but if it's something you've got to do then get on with it. Turning bitter will just keep him stirred up and maybe lead him to make mistakes and get into more trouble. I wish I knew something to make this better but I don't. I can't even say I know how you feel because I don't. But, I can be sad with you and that I am. And I can be frustrated that there's nothing I can do to make this better. (

Hang out with us, Pam. While we can't change this situation for you, we can encourage you and listen when the days are really hard. Oh, and laugh with you when the days are really good.
Sherrie
Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 PM
MichelleDB

Default fiance sent to kirkland today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan
Tell us a little about yourself and what brought you here. If you have already introduced yourself in the PTO Welcome Forum, post here too or include a link to your previous post.
Hi. My name is Michelle and I am new to this site. I posted an introduction in the other section, before finding this SC section. This site is great. I know it will be a big help to me. My fiancee of 11 years screwed up and committed to robberies, neither armed, but the county(Spartanburg) is trying to convict him of armed robbery. He had his first trial last week and thank god the jury found him not guilty of armed but common law robbert, and he was sentenced to 10 years, suspended to five, non violent. So he believes he will do about 2 years. I don't know how accurate that is. I have a lot to learn about all this. What I've read the past few days has helped a lot already though. Thank you. He was sent to Kirkland today for R & E. Does anyone know how long it will take them to post his id # on the scdoc site? I'm currently living in Greer with my fiancees mother, helping her recover from the shock(her health is bad), but I am from Fountain Inn, born and raised, for the past 34 years, I saw 2 other people posting from Ft. Inn., so please reply and let me know how your loved ones are doing. Thank you all so much already!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:23 PM

Michelle,
If he was sent to Kirkland R & E today, he should show up on the SCDC site tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
MichelleDB

Default looking for id #

Thank you for the input. I've been checking the site throughout the day today, but it hasn't posted yet. I will check it tomorrow though.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:20 PM
MichelleDB

Default Husband has court again on Monday and is Kirkland.

We just received a letter today from my husbands public defender and he has court again on Monday, the 17th. He just arrived in kirkland for R&E this past Monday. I just don't understand why they would have transported him earlier this week just to have to take him back for court on Monday. Also his info. on the scdoc site was updated today to show projected release date and I believe it reflects 65% of his time being served. He was charged with strong armed robbery,non violent. He has been told 51%, so does that mean work credits will kick in and his release date will be sooner and also the months he served in county has not been applied to the release date either, I think. If anyone has any input on these things, please let me know. Also what are the chances of these charges being ran concurrent? Who is it up to? The judge.
The Following User Says Thank You to michelledbrewer For This Useful Post:
littletree (09-25-2010)
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Donation Award 

The release date may keep changing until all the court cases are over. The prosecutor and public defender can recommend concurrent or consecutive. The judge will make the final decision. Ask the public defender about the percentage of time that he will have to serve. There are guidelines in the SC Code that determine the percentage. They will hvae to ask that the county time be applied to the state as time served. The judge will decide this too.

Best Wishes!

He's Home!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Waiting to find something out is always the worse part. Jamie turned in an appeal to over turn his visits and stuff being revoked and we're waiting to hear about that. It's like hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait. I hope everything goes okay with his cases. If you ever need anyone to talk to just PM me.

Smooches, Robs
Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 PM
BUTTAH

Default Wanting To Know

HI MY FIANCEE JUST GOT 25 YEARS FOR DRUG RELATED CRIMES HE IS IN MCCORMICK SC. I WILL WAIT FOR HIM NOW I HAVE TWO KIDS TO RAISE AND TAKE TO PRISION TO SEE THERE DADDY. HE ALSO IS TAKING THIS WAY BETTER THAN MYSELF I AM GONNA HANG IN THIER THOUGH I JUST KNOW NOW THAT THEIR ARE WOMEN OUT THERE IN MY SITUATION ALSO.

Last edited by BUTTAHPECAN; 10-14-2005 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: FORGOT A WORD
Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome, Buttahpecan! I'm sorry that you are going through this but I'm glad that you've found us! How old are your children? Raising kids on your own is tough. You must be sick over the amount of time that he will be away. (((HUGS))). We are here to help you get through it. There are lots of us here who understand.

He's Home!