Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other North Carolina sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Sherrie! Thanks for joining us. I see from your profile that you heard about PTO from a friend. That's great! We need to get the word out that we are here to help. It would be terrible to go through this alone! I'm glad you're here.

He's Home!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 07:38 PM

SCDC Mom, thank you so much for the information that my oldest son may be able to visit my youngest son. I'll check into that. I don't want to cause trouble but if the brothers can visit that would be great. Even though the boys are grown, Josh hasn't gone a week without contact with his brothers for all of his life.

Hey, Rollo! Thank you for writing me. I don't know where I would be without this group. I don't know anything about dealing with the prisons. Hearing a county yahoo tell me 4 weeks in a row that my son hadn't put me down for a visit about drove me crazy. Are these people for real? Let's see. Josh has been in county for 4 1/2 months. I would assume in that time he'd learn how to sign someone up for a visit. But, every week it's the same story - he didn't sign you up, you can't visit. Case closed. Who do you argue with? No one cares. No one is going to change it. I just turn around, go outside and cry. I even begged yesterday because we felt Josh would be moved today and it would be the last time I'd get to see him for awhile but the CO shook her head and said ... rules are rules - it's your son's fault. But, I come here and someone does care. Someone does know how I feel. And while nothing changes at least I feel like I crawled into a ball and someone came, put their arms around me and made me feel better. I know one thing, I'm one angry mama. I'm angry at the courts, the lady who got hurt (ok, I know she got hurt but did she have to be so vindictive and mean) and most of all I'm angry at my son. But, I swallow that anger because I've got to focus on helping my son - just like all of you do what you have to to help your loved one. I want to run out and go in every store I can find and smash every beer cooler I can find. And I hope the Lord protects whichever of my son's have the misfortune of letting me see them with an alcoholic drunk in their hand. Truth to say --- their hinny's will be grass and I'll be the lawnmower!

Well, a kind soul just called me from county and told me that Josh was moved this morning. So, tonight he is officially a prison inmate. I thought I would cry but I just sniffled a bit. The fellow who called was such an angel. He is at county serving his last few months before release. He told me that he spent a lot time over the last month talking to Josh and especially this last week preparing him for the Dept. of Revenge. How to keep his nose clean and stay out of trouble. God bless people who look out for those of us who don't know. I'm sure Josh's transition will be easier on him because this guy cared enough to help him. And you know what? I asked the guy if I could help him in any way and he said no. Most everyone at county who calls me at least wants me to call someone for them. I'm apparently something of a team mother and have 4 calling me now. I asked him again if there was anything I could do. He's had no family contact in 2 years. His mother and father have passed away while he was in prison and his siblings don't associate with him. No mail. No canteen. No books. No phone calls. No visits. God, how can people be so cruel? He said no that he wanted to help us because he wanted to do something good and he didn't do it for payment. Well, this mama is going to be at county jail 1st thing in the morning and that boy will get canteen next week. I know he's a grown man but at 48, he's a boy to me. And I don't care what he's done. All I know is he showed compassion to me and my son when he didn't have to and I refuse to let this boy do one more day alone. He promised to call in a week or so and I hope he does.
Sherrie
Old 06-30-2005, 04:34 AM

Morning All! I keep forgetting big welcomes to Beverly, Sherrie and Arlo. Well looks like maybe the rain is letting up, I hope. Hopefully the son's charges get DROPPED by Friday. The solisitor says she's just been too busy to get to the paperwork. I've said it before and I will repeat it: THIS IS NOT MY AMERICA. Charged him, don't have the evidence to convict him, he will not take the offer so Lexington County will just hold him in limbo for who knows how long? Can we all say B*ll SH*T? The whole system here makes me totally nuts. Hmmm gee aren't I a happy camper this morning!!LOL Guess I need more coffee!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Forever Josh's Babydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmom221
Hello. I am Sherrie. I live in West Columbia. My son Joshua was sentenced 6/21/05 to 14 1/2 years for 2 felony DUI (great bodily injury) and 1 Assault & Battery. Josh is 22. He is still at Lexington County Detention Center awaiting transfer to Kirland R & E. I suppose that is the only evaluation center. I sure do appreciate being able to read all these posts. Josh told me that he wouldn't be able to call home the 1st week but it sounds like it will be longer than that and that I couldn't see him for the 1st 30 days - sounds like it might take longer than that too! I'll warn him about the conditions he'll face. At least the news will help me write him encouragement. Sounds like July in Kirkland isn't going to be great with no a/c. It's been awful humid here lately (Kirkland is in Columbia). I'm hoping the crowding at R & E won't be worse than what he's been in at Lexington Detention. They say no but I figure Josh was put in maximum at Lexington because his charges involved a police officer. He's been in a 1 person cell with 3 people for 4 1/2 months now with only 1 hour a day out for exercise. But, he does have a/c at Lexington. I am trying to learn about earned credits and the difference between parole and probation. I still can't figure out most of it but I'm sure I'll learn. Thanks especially to Kim for the post about website on inmate accounts and to Shiela for the numbers to call about visitation. I would be searching in the dark without this forum and I'm so thankful that you all are here but sad for you that you are here - know what I mean? I'm pretty nervous about the phone call rates. Are they higher than the county rates? Lexington Detention uses Evercom. I think it's $1.41 for a 10 minute call.

I also have a son who is a correctional officer at Broad River. It saddens him that he won't be able to visit his brother. Another knife in the heart of how this is affecting our family. My 3 boys have always been close and my oldest son is devastated that for a long, long time he won't see his brothers face.

I am a 48 year old homemaker. This is the 1st time I have ever dealt with the police and I hope the last. Josh made a terrible mistake but I am determined it won't ruin his life. God willing it won't. I don't know where Josh will go once he leave R & E but I am thankful that Kahlan has posted information on each institution. You guys are the greatest!!!

Hi JoshsMom221, I'm new to this forum as well. I never thought that I would live to see the day a member of my family would see the inside of a prison, but it happens.

I am married to a man named Joshua. He is also currently in Kirkland Reception & Evaluation Center for a DUI that happened when he has 17-years-old. His story truely is a tragic one as well. His Father gave and encouraged him to drink alcohol with him and then let him drive his truck around our town while still under the influence. He was in a very tragic and deadly car accident which resulted in him being put in ICU at MUSC for several weeks. No one knew if he would survive or not. That was his one and only time drinking and driving. He was never in any trouble before or since his accident. Sadly it is legal in the state of South Carolina to allow your under age children to drink as long as they are at home. The Horry Country Court system gave my husband almost 4 years to put his life back in order, to recover from his horrible injuries and to fall in love and get married before he was sentenced to 8 years in prison (my husband was out on bail). We have only been married for the past 18 months. He's been in R&E for the past 23 days. He has been sleeping on the floor, on a mat, every single one of those days. He was able to make a phone call today and he told me that one of his cell mates has finally been transfered, so now he finally has a bed.

I wish that I could tell you what to expect and what your son should except, but I can't. All I can really tell you is that when they are first transfered to R&E each inmate recieves 16 pieces of paper, 1 pencil, and 4 envelopes. I hope and pray that you get to hear from your son soon. It took about a week and a 1/2 to recieve my first letter from my Joshy. He tells me that he has his good days and that he has his bad just as everyone one of us on the outside do. He tells me that things aren't great in R&E but they are livable and that he is not treated poorly by any of the guards. One guard there is actually very nice to him. My husband got on a "broken" phone one Tuesday that would not connect the two of us so we could talk, the guard allowed him to stay after the other inmates where taken back to their cells to make up for time on the messed up phone. He tells me that as long as the inmates are polite, compliant, and respectful they get the same in return.

It took about 12 days for my husband to have his temporary PIN approved and given to him. Once your son gets that approved he will be able to call you on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on a rare occasion Sundays as long as the Commanding Officer does not put them under lockdown. Where my husband is he can call anytime from 8am-3pm. They are allowed one 15-minute call. Sometimes the inmate's time gets cut short by the guards, other times it does not.

I don't know how much you have found out about R&E but you can write your son everyday if you like but he will only be able to write you when time and supplies permits. Mail runs from Monday-Friday. Any mail they recieve is given to them after they eat dinner. I don't know if you've found the address or not but it is: Inmate Name and Number; Kirkland Receptiong & Evaluation Center; dorm and cell number; 4344 Broad River Rd; Columbia SC 29210. If you call the receptionist at R&E she will give you his inmate number as well as his dorm and cell numbers.

I hope that maybe I could be of some help to you. As I said, I am new to the prison system as well. God Bless you and your family. I will keep your son in my prayers. I think that I can honestly say that I know exactly how you feel.

Oh, one more thing came to mind that may help ease your worries. Your son will be put into a cell with men about his same age and body build. They will also have fairly similar crimes. Knowing that made me sleep just a little bit better at night. God Bless.

Last edited by JoshsBabydoll; 06-30-2005 at 10:18 PM..
Old 07-01-2005, 03:25 PM
100 yellow ribbons, son.

Hello, everyone. I joined the forum, yesterday, and am still learning my way around. I posted my introduction thread in the "Welcome to PTO - Introductions and Stories" section of the forums, earlier, today... which was quite emotional, for me. It took me almost three hours to type it, as I'd type for a short time and cry for a long time, requiring numerous breaks to regain enough control of my emotions to be able to continue. So, here, I'll just say that I'm Joshua's mother and JoshsBabydoll's mother-in-law, and include the link to that thread, for those who'd like to know more about our circumstance that my daughter-in-law (she's an angel... an absolute blessing to my son and our entire family) didn't cover in her entry, above. I love you, Babydoll.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134067

May God bless and comfort each and every one of you during this most difficult time that we all share, in common bond.
"I found out that the things that hurt us the most can become the fuel and the catalyst that propel us toward our destiny. It will either make you bitter... or it will make you better." --- [T.D. Jakes]

"What don't kill you, will make you strong." (sic) --- [my Grandmomma]

~ whisperingdove
Old 07-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Donation Award 

Default Welcome!

Welcome JoshsBabyDoll and whisperingdove! Your story is a very sad one. I hope that you will find comfort here. Let us know how we can help you.

He's Home!
Old 07-03-2005, 08:18 AM

Welcome JoshsBabyDoll and whisperingdove! Sorry to meet this way. Questions anything just ask
Old 07-03-2005, 05:40 PM

Unhappy Hiya

My name is Tiffany and my boyfriend/man i am suppose to marry is in Kirkland. He has served time in Berkley County and some time in Dorchester County. Right now I am pregnant with his baby and living in Connecticut until he gets out. Now, I will be down in South Carolina July 8-10th and I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to visit him on saturday...please someone let me know!!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Donation Award 

Tiffany, how long has he been in Kirkland? You won't be able to visit if he has been there less than 30 days. Then to visit, you have to be on an approved visitation list. Have you sent in the visitation forms?

He's Home!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan
Tiffany, how long has he been in Kirkland? You won't be able to visit if he has been there less than 30 days. Then to visit, you have to be on an approved visitation list. Have you sent in the visitation forms?
He has been there less then 30 days. He has only been there since the 23rd of last month. So, I guess that is out of the question. I just do not know why they sent him there. They did it without any warning of any kind. And this is the only time I have to go back to South Carolina and now will miss the chance to see him. I just wanted to see him to tell him I am alright and that the baby is doing fine and show him the budda belly that I am developing. I guess I have some free time on saturday. Blah, that sucks and I just hope he gets my letters soon so he knows that I am still alive and around. Thank you very much for the info.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:17 AM

I found this site yesterday while searching for information on SC prisons. My husband had his SC parole violated and he is now back in SC. I am about 700 miles away from him. He should be home in seven months, so I guess I can't complain too much. I just miss him and can't wait to hear from him. I hope to be able to visit him a few times while he is there. I am doing everything I can to make sure he has what he needs while he is in there. He was always good to me at home so I want to be able to reciprocate. SC just seems so far away. I guess it would be easier if I lived there too.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Donation Award 

Hi! And welcome to PTO! I'm sorry that you're so far away from your husband. It's never easy to be away from someone that you love no matter how long they are gone. I hope that we can make the time a little easier for you. I hope that you will hear from him soon!

He's Home!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Von's Mahogany

Welcome to PTO, I know you will get all the support and information you will need here. Hopefully your 7 months will fly by fast and u and your loved one can be back together real soon. WELCOME!!!
With God, ALL things are posssible! Matthew 19:26

Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM

Welcome to PTO, Moodindigo. New York isn't really that far. I think you can drive it in about 13 hours and that's at my slow pace. I hope you do get to visit your husband. 7 months isn't a very long amount of time but when you are missing someone very important to you it seems longer. You can count on us. We will be here to offer you comfort and support and I'm sure you'll do the same for us. Please let us know if there is anything you need done here in SC. If we can help, we will.
Sherrie
Old 07-18-2005, 03:07 PM

This is an update on WidyDuit (not his real name). He's now at Turbeville, where he will probably remain until his release in February. To any of you with loved ones at Turbeville: Don't order the goodie packages to send to them. They have lockers where they are required to keep their packages, and other prisoners come along and break the locks with a bar and steal everything. My son had just received his food and stuff, over $100 worth, and it was all stolen. He said it happens daily, and the guards have no way of knowing who is doing it. You'd think they could figure it out. I mean how are prisoners allowed to walk around with metal bars?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM

Hey everybody! Some of you guys already know my story but for those of you who don't... My boyfriend is at Allendale CI. He's been there since the begining of the month. There was a fight when he was at Kirkland R&E and he was jumped by 2 guys. They broke 2 of his ribs and he's got cuts all over his face. But anyway, he lost his vistation for 1 year, his phone for 6 months and the only thing he can get out of the canteen for the next 6 months is hygene products and 4 envelopes a week. I miss him so much. Thank you guys for everything. I think if it wasn't for PTO I would go crazy. You guys help keep me sane!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 PM

Hello all! I've been watching this forum for about a year now. A friend from church was sentenced to 5 years for felony DUI about this time last year. He was SO not the person that he was when the event occurred....He really seemed to have turned his life around and his accidental victim was doing OK as well. While in the big scheme of things it would have been very unfair if there had not been some penalty for his actions, we all hurt that he was taken away from us just when he seemed to be getting his act together.

The upside of all of this, is that in the time between the event and the sentencing (2 years), he managed to find his way back to God. His time at Turbeville has allowed him to spend countless hours studing his Bible, talking to and hearing from God, and witnessing (both out loud and by his actions) to other inmates. I'm quite sure he's a long way from perfect (Aren't we all...) but it's so amazing that while we humans managed to mess up constantly, God's timing is always perfect.

I'm committed to visiting Ed once a month. I think it's important that he knows there are people on the outside who love him, remember him, and are a part of his family, even though we're not related. I guess I'm writing today to let the world know that he matters and is missed.

My heart aches for some of the situations that I read about in this forum and yet, I am so blessed by your outlooks and attitudes. You and your loved ones are in my prayers.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Von's Mahogany

Welcome millermac. I know you are truly a blessing for your friend and I know God is going to overflow you with blessings for standing in the gap for your friend!
With God, ALL things are posssible! Matthew 19:26

Old 08-11-2005, 01:48 AM

Question Introduction

Hello everyone!! My name is Michele. I found this site while i was looking for some way to afford collect calls from prisons. I live in Fountain Inn and my fiance is in Kershaw. Those guards there are something serious!! Their newest policy which went into effect the last week of July is if they decide you are not dressed appropriately you can no longer go to your car to change, you will have to leave and come back the next visiting day. I go visit every weekend and every weekend i get a little more disgusted with the place, it's always something. Anyway, any information anyone could give me on phone companies, remote call forwarding or any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated. I've checked with Tel Net and $4.00 per call is alot better than $8.00 per call but i am really hoping there is cheaper way yet...any ideas???
Old 08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
"Always & Forever"

Hi Michele do you happen to have a phone # for Telnet. I saw your post. My husband's at McCormick and I am in Florence. Do they service all SC prisons. 4.00 sounds great. Please send me what info you might have Thanks, Sheila
Old 08-15-2005, 07:13 AM

Default My daddy is in Livesay

I am Amanda and I am from the upstate of SC. My daddy was sentenced to 8 years this past March after serving 8 months at Greenville Co. Det. Ctr. He initially went to Kirkland for about 45 days and then to Northside in Spartanburg...he only stayed there about 6 weeks and has been moved to Livesay. He works in the library there and helps tutor the men on pre-release so they can get their GED. My daddy is my hero and always will be! I miss him so much.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:25 AM

Hi, Amanda. Welcome to PTO. I'm so glad your dad is your hero. I miss my son also. Hopefully both of them will be home with us soon. That's so cool that your dad is helping people get their GED. My son is working with inmates whose skills aren't up to the GED level yet. Do you get to see your dad often? I wish I could see my son everyday but that is not possible. Anyway, welcome to PTO and let us know if we can help you find information or answer any questions.
Sherrie
BTW, I live in Columbia and my son is at Evans in Bennettsville. About 2 1/2 hours drive away.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Hi Michelle! I live in Fountain Inn also and my son was at Kershaw for awhile. I know that the trip is long and tiring, the phone calls are expensive and the guards...well, you are correct in your assumption. Have you tried having him moved to Tyger River? That would be much closer and it's a level 2 also. The phone calls are also much cheaper from there. Good luck and take care.

Barb
Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM

Default New to this!!!

Hi everyone.

I am new to this site, and I am glad I found it. It is filled with a lot of information on it. I have a friend who has just left Kirkland R & E. He slipped up and is in there for criminal sexual conduct. But he is really a good person who made a bad choice.

I am looking forward to this newfound community.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Donation Award 

Default Welcome!

Welcome to PTO Mhystro! I'm glad that you've joined us. We do have a lot of information on this site and lots of support from people who understand too. Many of our loved ones are good guys who made bad decisions. We are here to help support them and to help each other get through this time apart. Please ask any questions that you may have. If you don't want to post them in the forum, send me or the other members a Private Message. We will do what we can to help. I hope that you will enjoy our site and the SC Forum.

He's Home!