Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Default VUMBER - Federal Correctional Institution

Does anyone know if you get a Vumber would it be approved by the Board of Prisons.

I live in CA, my husband is in a prison in IL. I have been waiting to get a number from conscallhome.com for more than a month but they say that its very hard to get a local number for that prison. So after reading some of the threads here I am tempted to get a Vumber. However, Vumber.com has numbers with the same area code but they are not in the same town/city. The numbers they have are for a nearby town/city. Do you think a phone number from a nearby town/city would be considered local or long distance.

Please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Donation Award 

Unfortunately they MUST be in the same ratecenter for federal prisons, sometimes not even the same town is good enough.

Federal prisons are the toughest there are to get the local rate. If ConsCallHome.com cannot get it, most likely it's just not available. That happens becomes some local phone companies just will not release numbers.

Last edited by WeBoat; 11-02-2008 at 06:06 AM..
Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM

I know that I had to call google the town where my guy is, and then find a close town to it. Then I called ATT to find out if a call to that town is local or long distance. They told me it was local so that was good. Then I went and looked at Vonage and Magic Jack to see if they have those prefixes for that town available and Vonage did. BUt I still have to get up and running because they want me to fax a bill in. Anyway, I hope this is helpful!

T-Bird
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Thank you, guys. I have a family plan with AT&T so I added a new line with a number in the same area code as the prision phone number. I gave it to my husband to get it approved, so once he does, I hope that it will be considered a local number. Even At&T didn't have local numbers for the same town, but they gave me a number to the nearby town that shares the same area code. I hope it works. I will keep you guys posted on it. It only cost me $10 to add a line. But I still need to see if it will be approved.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Goin' Down Swingin'

Hey it wouldn't hurt to try the vumber number. You can get a number for $0, and if it doesn't work out, you can cancel with no probs. (They only bill you after the first mo....so the first mo is free). It's worth trying, especially if you can get calls for $1.00 each!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c&cg View Post
Does anyone know if you get a Vumber would it be approved by the Board of Prisons.

I live in CA, my husband is in a prison in IL. I have been waiting to get a number from conscallhome.com for more than a month but they say that its very hard to get a local number for that prison. So after reading some of the threads here I am tempted to get a Vumber. However, Vumber.com has numbers with the same area code but they are not in the same town/city. The numbers they have are for a nearby town/city. Do you think a phone number from a nearby town/city would be considered local or long distance.

Please let me know.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c&cg View Post
Thank you, guys. I have a family plan with AT&T so I added a new line with a number in the same area code as the prision phone number. I gave it to my husband to get it approved, so once he does, I hope that it will be considered a local number. Even At&T didn't have local numbers for the same town, but they gave me a number to the nearby town that shares the same area code. I hope it works. I will keep you guys posted on it. It only cost me $10 to add a line. But I still need to see if it will be approved.

Nearby town most likely will not work... Federal BOP is very picky on what they call a "Local" call... It's not the area code that is important, it's the second set of three numbers. These identify the ratecenter.