Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VERMONT Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

VERMONT Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Vermont - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Prison Visitation, mail, etc.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:00 PM

Default New member--Abuse Of Inmates In Vermont

I am a former VT Department of Corrections Officer and would be glad to answer any questions about the training, policies or provide other information that may not be available to the public. I can offer insight into past abuses of inmates within Vermont.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO!! I look forward to reading your posts!!

JJT
Old 10-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 10-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 10-21-2005, 11:48 PM
I is a College Student
Donation Award 

Aloha and welcome to PTO!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:50 PM
~April & Robert~

what prison where you employed at?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Northern State

I was employed at Northern State in Newport, VT
Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM

Hello and welcome to PTO
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Hi vtco ,
Can you tell me anything about the Women's prison in Windsor ?

Thank You !

Last edited by Angel802; 02-19-2007 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-19-2007, 05:55 PM
one lucky woman

Velcome to zee Dahhhhk Side! Muahahaha!!
just kidding, always glad to share information

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Not about abuses - Thank God!

I don't have a question for you about abuses - at least not a personal one - but I do have a question about the VT DOC policy if you could try to answer it for me.

My husband has been trying to be extradited to VT - he was on probation there when he was arrested here on a new charge. He has time to do in VT (for the probation violation) and would like to serve the time concurrently, but keeps hitting brick walls. He has been working with his counsellor here to send letters, etc., but no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Lexi74
Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Donation Award 

Hi all-
As you may see, the VT forums are pretty lean.
Angel 802- VTCO hasn't been on in a long time, so you may not hear from him/her. What are you looking to find out? Try getting onto Southeastern State Corr Facility's website, you may find out stuff there. I don't really know much, so sorry.
Lexi74- All I know is that the prisons are really crowded and they are sending a lot of the inmates that have longer sentences out of state. Hopefully e-wife can re-route this post or find a place that's more active to get answers. Good luck!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Hi MM ,
My daughter was just transported there and i was hoping to get some info on it's reputation. I've done a search on them , and nothings turning up except the stray cat issue they had a while back.

Maybe its a good sign i cant find any Neg info ?

I sure hope so !

Thank You for taking the time to answer my post
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Donation Award 

It's not too far from here and I'll do some investigating. I'll get back as soon as I find anything worthwhile. Hang in there and let's believe no news is good news, right?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Thank You MM , That's sweet of you to do!

Looking forward to what you find out.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Donation Award 

Angel802...I haven't forgotten, I just haven't found any good info yet. So sorry, I hope you have been able to get some yourself. MM
Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Hi MM , I am happy to report she is doing well there at the moment.
The first week and a half was rough for her detoxing and all, but she made it through!
She was finally started on medication to help her anxiety and sleep issues after one nurse put her foot down and got her what she needed.
She started going to church and is reading the Recovery Bible and seems happy about it.
She had many complaints at first but since she has detoxed her outlook is more positive , which make me VERY Happy !
She said the food isnt bad and they get desserts every nite.
She was recently moved to another unit which she is happy about.
She shares a room with 4 other girls who she says she gets along good with. Some even offered her comfort when she was going through some of her pain issues.
She also started school to finish her high school diploma and will be graduating in the fall and her family can come to watch and celebrate after.
They have a TV in their room.
She can make phone calls anytime she wants to as long as she has the money in her account within the hours given ...from early AM to 11:00 pm weekdays and 1 am on Saturdays i believe.
They are told to keep busy during the day and cant just hang in their rooms. Which is good because she's never been the type to just sit around and do nothing.
We will be going to see her this Sunday and i cant wait to put my arms around her !
So far so good , all seems to be going alot better then i expected.
She acts like she's away at school instead of prison and seems to be staying focused on getting thru this and moving on.
So , i am VERY happy to report she is doing just fine right now.
:O)
Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Donation Award 

Oh that's so great to hear. Have a wonderful time on Sunday. Do you know about visiting rules? If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me. I only know about Southern State CF in Springfield, VT, but I can fill you in on what I can. If not, have a great time and drive carefully. (Nor'ester heading our way, but it should be gone by Sunday.)
Old 12-18-2007, 01:05 PM

Default VT Treatment of Inmates

I still have my training manual and handouts from the Vermont Corrections Academy. This is stuff that the VT DOC does not publish on their public website, i.e. use of force, suicide procedures, some disciplinary procedures. If anyone has any questions I will try and help. I can tell you that one of the worst things about VT prisons is their medical care, it's horrible and that's being polite. I can also tell you, that at least at Northern and Southern State Correctional Facilities, officers do on a routine basis either lie or greatly exegerate on disciplinary forms, even though most cannot complete a sentence correctly. Again, if anyone has any questions let me know.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Default I'd like to hear more...

I certainly know about some of what you are saying, and would be interested in hearing more about this.
In fact, I know enough about retaliation behaviors to go so far as to caution you in posting too much on this site, where anyone can read these posts, especially if you have a loved one inside...
Somewhere I do have a link to a published letter from a former CO who speaks to some of these issues; I will try and find it. It isn't anything recent, but it does give some insight as to how it's nearly impossible for any of the better staff members to speak out.
Also, if you are interested, google "the stanford prison experiment" - you'll find some of the psychological background on how some very horrible things end up happening and going undetected by the general public. There are lots of good men and women who have ended up bringing harm to inmates who never would have dreamed of such behavior prior to joining a correctional setting. This report addresses that, too.
With all the hoopla over the treatment of prisoner's in Iraq, which seems to outrage the public, I often wonder why no one is looking in our own back yard - there are some terrible things happening.
Meantime, if you have someone you feel is victim to outright abuse, I can offer to help you in bringing it to light, but I will tell you it isn't easy.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Donation Award 

vtco- welcome back! What actually did bring you back?

We are a lean crowd here in VT, but could really use your words of wisdom. We have a friend who's waiting a transfer back down to SSCF as his release date (for FSU) begins the end of this month. What is the process for that to happen? The reason why I ask is that his caseworker hasn't been on his unit in two weeks and he had no idea of what's going on. He's been approved to come home and we have a couple of job opportunities, yet he will lose out on them if his cw doesn't get going. Is there anything I can do? What should I expect?

Thanks so much and we really appreciate your advice, help and support.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Donation Award 

I found this on another forum and it seems incredibly appropriate for how I'm feeling these days. This time has been very challenging for us as we feel like a number as well. The DOC seems to have no regard for our own lives, our schedules, our feelings or the fact that we did not commit the crime, our loved one did. This is a challenging time of year as it is and having to struggle with the beaurocracy doesn't make it any easier. Thank you to Weston's Mom for writing this.

A Man Not a Number

Pardon me, Mister, but that man that you disdain,
Was once a carefree child laughing in the rain.

He's not just a number, a faceless man in white,
Somewhere someone prays for him long into the night,

He's a man with a name and was his father's pride and joy,
His Grandpa taught him how to fish when he was a little boy.

Just another heartless convict, not fit to walk the street?
His wife longs for his loving touch, so gentle and so sweet.

Holding a letter reading, "Daddy, I sure miss you."
His eyes filll with tears as he whispers, " I love you too."

His mother touches his picture and plans another visit,
A long drive for a short talk, but she would never miss it.

Don't turn away from me, Mister, listen to what I say,
But for the grace of God, it could be you in his place today.

None of us are guiltless, we all walk a road of sin,
Some of us get broken til God brings us home to mend.

Yes, I'm crying Mister, because that man that you disdain,
Holds my heart forever, through sunshine and through rain.
Dedicated to Weston
Love, Mom

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainMom For This Useful Post:
JANEGB88 (03-07-2009)
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM

Default VT SSCF Springfield

To VTCO:

Hi, I'm going to the Springfield Facility on 1/7.

Could you tell me everything you know or have heard about the facillty.

Also could you tell me what I should bring with me, and I'm prescribed a few medications, what is the protocol I need to follow to make sure I receive those while I'm incarcerated?

Thank You
Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Default FSU Question

To the individual asking a question about the inmate going to FSU. First it's not all that great. The people who supervise FSU are all kiss asses and are not the best officers. They are actually classified as a CO III. It is a very sought after position and because promotions are based in large part on politics and not performance (this was confirmed by an internal DOC study/polling of actual corrections officers) the folks at FSU are arrogant and if they don't like an inmate, he/she will find themselves back in the facility on a DR for a rule violation.

As for your question concerning the case manager. What can I tell you, most are former officers are lazy and take their good time in doing things. I can't tell you how many times I heard complaints from inmates about the case managers not following up on a request, even simple ones such as checking out inmate accounts or phone problems. The inmate can file a grievance, but that can and probably will create resenment from the case manager and most grievances are laughled at by the staff members. In fact, all COs are taught that if you are not being grieved you are not doing your job (translated if you are not pissing off inmates then you are a poor CO). Sorry to say but it's the truth.

I am not sure how I can answer your question, he/she can ask to see the case manager one on one, that will probably go a long way as opposed to filing a grievance. Also if nothing is done in a timely fashion then perhaprs contact the Vermont Protection and Advocacy at VTPA.org
The Following User Says Thank You to vtco For This Useful Post:
MountainMom (04-27-2008)
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Souther State Question

I would not bring prescribed meds you will not be allowed to have them. You will be issued uniforms and clothing and bedding. If you personal physician has prescribed meds for you, I would tell the nurse who will take your medical history and inform her of the medical conditions you are suffering from, the name of the physician and the meds. It will help but is not a guarentee that you will receive the meds. Understand the prison medical system in Vermont is HORRIBLE. I believe they just canceled their contract with Prison Health Services who have been sued countless times for abuse and malpractice. You can bring a tootlbrush, toilet articles (non alchol based) slippers pictures (no polaroids) writing paper, pens, non-clickable pens only no fountain pens obviously. I think you can bring tennis shoes. Anything that they don't want you to have will be shipped home at your expense or destroyed. When you arrive you will be asked a lot of questions about your family and mental health. Plan on being in an isolated cell for 24-48 hours no TV limited contact on 30 minuted observations until they get you assigned to a unit.

If this is your first time in the VT corrections system you will be placed in a restricted unit for a little while. The top tier will be out one hour and the bottom tier will be out the next hour and so on. You will have rec priviliges which means the gym this time of year and you will be able to go the cafateria when your unit is called. Lockdown is I think around 9:30 and it can take a few weeks until your canteen order arrives if you order anything. If your family wants to send you money certified check or money order only...no cash or personal checks. You will have to add names to your visting list and they will have to be approved. Any other questions let me know. Unfortunatly, expect some write ups, everyone gets them sooner or later, there are so many rules you can break which are stupid. Don't worry about the minor DR's just try and not get any majors which can lead to seg time. If you smoke, try and do it right after the CO does their unit checks, every 30 minutes, but be carefull some do it 2-3 times in 30 minutes just to catch someone smoking. Just watch all CO's develope a pattern and most are lazy unless they are new out of the academy, watch and stay away from them. They are on probation and are trying to make probation which means issuing a ton of DR's