Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Default How to Find a Place to Live?

What would be your recommendation for a felon who is trying to find an apartment? Is a felon stuck in the slums as those are the only kind of owners who will rent or is it possible there are some nice apartment complexes felons can stay in? Also, what resources would you recommend for looking up different housing complexes for felons?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,037 Times in 1,271 Posts

In the short run, the fastest way to find a place to live is to go to the sex offender registry online and type in the zip code of a given part of town you want to reside. It'll pull up everyone in that area. What you want to look for are addresses that have an apt # or an apt letter beside them. That tells you that in all probability it's a rental property that leases to felons. Alot of these places don't want to advertise or be on the radar in terms of assisting us. I'm not an S.O., but where this issue is concerned most often I know that where they can go, I can go.
In the long run, you find the best places to live by rubbing elbows with people in recovery like A.A., N.A. or any number of fellowships that deal with recovery. Church is also a good place to consider. I know a guy in the Dallas area about 10 years who because of his association and devotion to the church literally moved into a $100,00 home in a more than decent neighborhood and took up house payments that were less than $300 a month.
No matter what denomination you are or for that matter what religion, there are people that truly want to help us and see us do. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT.
The housing dilemma for a felon can look scary in the beginning when you get out, but the bottom line is there's too help out here not to make it. It may not happen in 15 minutes, but it'll happen if a man or woman in our shoes stays the course and stays on top of their priorities. Hope this helps
DailyLimitReach (05-04-2019), trauma4us (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,417 Times in 15,210 Posts

I would avoid the type of corporate run apts complexes. They often wont allow any kind of felon.
Not sure if you are still on any type of supervision or what but if that is a consideration (parole/probation) you will just have to work within any restrictions you may have

Rather look for a privately owned place, maybe a duplex or the like.
Possibly a share rental might also be an option.

That's my dog's nose art