Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,066 Times in 16,175 Posts
Default Indictments (prison consultants) spotlight prison rehab scams

Show up drunk: Indictments spotlight prison rehab scams

Federal prosecutors say criminal indictments in Connecticut have exposed shady dealings in the largely unregulated industry of "prison consultants."

It's a tip that has been passed onto convicts for years: On your way to federal prison, say you have a substance abuse problem, and you could qualify for a treatment program that knocks up to a year off your sentence.

Federal prosecutors have long suspected abuses in the program, which has enrolled a deep list of high-profile convicts. Recently, a grand jury in Connecticut indicted three people accused of coaching ineligible convicts on how to get into the Residential Drug Abuse Program, or RDAP, by telling them to show up to prison intoxicated and fake withdrawal symptoms. The charges are among the first filed against prison consultants involving the program.

Read entire article HERE.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-22-2019), Girl22472 (03-21-2019), Itshardtowait (03-22-2019), Sidebiotch (03-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2019, 07:04 PM

I read that last week and shook my head because I've been hearing that " advice" for a year now.
Random people who find out about our situation were telling him to show up drunk and to go buy drugs so he'd fail drug testing so he could say he was addicted to possibly get leniency or special program. He didn't do it because he wasn't an addict and didn't want to take away a spot for someone who really needed the help. Plus we had no idea how much of it was hearsay and how much was truth.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-30-2019), Itshardtowait (03-29-2019), orchibu (03-30-2019), patchouli (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,066 Times in 16,175 Posts

Wherever there's money to made, legal or not, somebody's gonna take advantage of somebody else Trust, but verify....and go with your gut instincts

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (03-29-2019), Sidebiotch (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 05:51 AM

Yeah , we never tried any of it but it seemed as if it was common knowledge amongst pretty much everyone about these things as it was the first thing people would tell us once they found out. It says a lot about how common this was because we were a fairly normal family before this happened ( so I thought lol!)
It's a shame because there's people who really need substance abuse help and it's unfair to take up slots if you really don't have a substance problem. I guess some people will do anything to try to get out of the situation and some will pay money to these consultants to try to get out sooner. We never considered it. Instead he just paid the best lawyer he could afford and tried to get the best deal possible without proffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,095 Times in 12,761 Posts

The key to getting into the bop's residential drug abuse program, RDAP, is telling the presentence report probation officer you had a recent substance abuse problem. The advice to go to the interview drunk is about what I would expect from a "consultant", and it would be much more likely that they would spend the remaining time before sentencing locked up for violating their pretrial release bond restrictions.

I also think it's a great idea to know what you would be volunteering for by trying to get into RDAP. Personally, I would do anything I could in order to avoid all of the RDAP BS and the eventual supervised release restrictions that come along with it.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 03-30-2019 at 02:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Sidebiotch (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM

I think many people that don't have prior involvement with the criminal justice system are in such shock when they get popped that they'll try anything without fully understanding it. They'll pay any amount of money in hopes that they will get an easier ride. There's so many myths and misconceptions that it makes it easy for people to prey on the people in the situation for the first time.
I literally refused to believe that it was happening and told them they must have the wrong person. It was like I was in another foreign planet because that's how unfamiliar everything was at that point. I can easily see how some people buy into these types of things without doing any research. I remember thinking it was all a nightmare and I wake up and go back to my regular life. Of course that didn't happen because they seized my regular life but I learned to acclimate to my new surroundings and make the best of it. Thankfully I found PTO because it makes it a lot easier knowing that I'm not alone. Hopefully some of the people considering this will read this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-30-2019), patchouli (04-04-2019)