Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALASKA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

ALASKA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Alaska - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Visitation, Phones, News & Information, etc.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Default My daughter is in prison-what can I send her?

My daughter is 33 and has never been in trouble of any kind until her husband divorced her last summer (he's career army). Then she got a DUI and it seems it's been down hill since then. She's in Kenai, Alaska and I live in Rhode Island and she can't call me because my phone service is provided by my cell phone company. And I'm not sure I would except the calls anyway due to fianancial restrictions on our budget.

My question is what can I send her? I know money ordered and letters but for the life of me what do they sell in the commissary/canteen she can use? I have no experience with prisons or the court system other than for a speeding ticket once.

Yes, it's really hard on me to not be able to talk to her. And I can't find out anything on the internet that I can rely on. Can I have the post office send her postage stamps? What about paper and pens, envelopes etc?

It appears she has to get approval for magazines and books. Do they have to come directly from the publisher? I have so many question of what the rules are.

Funny this is that she was a correction officer in Texas when her husband was stationed at Fort Hood. But we never talked about any of these kind of things.

And help? My beloved husband is there for me emotionally with hugs and prayers. He's as baffled as I am.

Bespeck
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM

From the commissary she can buy stamps, paper, pencils, snacks, tampons, underwear, t-shirts, shampoo and soap and other necessities, so the money you send her for the commissary will help her to survive in there. Without it, she will do without a lot. The prison provides some basics, but not much. You can order books and have them sent from Amazon.com; that's they only way she can receive them. The books must be soft-bound, not hard-backed.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 PM

It all depends like some places differ from other places..and certain regulations on certain items..if at all possible i think you should call where she is located & check,because you don't want to send her something she won't beable to use and then have it be a waste of money..especially being that far away. Well i hope you find the answers you're looking for.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM

I didn't think about underwear. And at Wildwood, they hold the money order, cashier's check for 10 days after she receives it. I will be flying up there (used my airline milage which was about to expire anyway). Maybe I can find out more then and definately post it on this website for others to know.