Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,756 Times in 2,543 Posts
Default First Tablet Phone Call

We've been waiting years for the tablets in South Carolina and my love's facility finally received theirs this week. He called at 7 this morning like a child on Christmas morning from the phone to tell me all about it

After getting over the shell shock of being awaken, I realized it was quieter in the background. Many of the men in his dorm already had their tablets set up so no one was in line to use the phone, that's why he called so early. No problem but he had all of these questions about the tablet that I couldn't answer because GTL/Connect Network doesn't have any new information on their site nor does the state prison website.

Well this afternoon, he called back from the tablet! Can you say I appreciate the lack of recorded lady interrupting the background, not hearing the conversation of the person standing next to him, but it's funny listening to his roommate and him go over using this thing in background, and being able to speak for more than 15 minutes!

He is new to tablets after being in the system for 30 years and during his brief release home years ago, smartphones were roughly 3rd generation and I didn't own one, much less a tablet. During the first call he touched the screen and we got disconnected. He wants to call everyone now and is really excited about the longer phone calls. I just hope he doesn't call at that awful hour anymore. He knows I'm a night person because of work and appreciate "sleeping in" on my nights off. He wasn't sure how the disconnect would work when the time limit for the call came but he got a message that he would be logged out, so with two interruptions that sounded like a dropped call, the line went dead. Now we know...the two minute warning.

It's such a thrill with the COVID-19 visitation cancellations and how limited the phone was with everyone trying to use it at one time.

This is definitely going to be an experience. We've finally caught up with most of the country in technology.
Born (09-16-2020), Dymond3 (09-19-2020), Lifetime30 (09-18-2020), LifeTraveler (09-17-2020), mauri23 (09-17-2020), patchouli (09-17-2020), sidewalker (09-21-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 09:21 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,309 Times in 17,209 Posts

How wonderful!...he'll have the hang of it in no time

choclgs, I'm not at all familiar with calls from a tablet....are they cheaper? Can they video visit / face time from the tablet?

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,756 Times in 2,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
How wonderful!...he'll have the hang of it in no time

choclgs, I'm not at all familiar with calls from a tablet....are they cheaper? Can they video visit / face time from the tablet?
Patch it's the same rate, they're allowed to make calls in 1 hour blocks instead of 15 minutes. No facetime or video visits type calls here. He was told they're going to set up video visits since they're unsure how long the COVID-19 spread is going to impact in person visitation.

Today we figured out the message he sees that says it's logging out of the program is similar to the 1 minute warning on the phone. Around 55 minutes he gets that message.

He's more concerned now with trying to pay for the monthly subscription to music and movies. He's still learning the technology but all of the men are helping each other. The thing that warmed my heart, he said you could feel the difference in the dorm the day after they were issued the tablets. He said, "We feel connected." And I could tell in the background noise, the difference.

It's amazing something we've gotten used to out here, has this impact on them. We've been fighting for technology in SC prisons for years. It took a virus to expedite this process. For all of the energy they put into fighting cellphones, which the majority don't have access to, they could have been installing the wiring in these outdated facilities and issuing the tablets. But I don't want to dwell on that. I'm just grateful.
patchouli (09-18-2020), sidewalker (09-21-2020), Throwaway11 (09-19-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Donation Award 

This is awesome. I cannot wait until mine retrieve his. We have been waiting for months since they told then they would receive them and still nothing. I would be smiling from ear to ear just like you. Congratulations on this big step in technology.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-19-2020)