Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:08 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,887 Times in 16,438 Posts
Default Putting out feelers for adoption/fostering/Updated, we got him

Im still really on the fence about another dog atm.
However I did see a post with one dog, who reminded me so much of my dog who we had to put down in Dec. I wish I could meet him in real life.
Ive been watching this site for a while now. Its a Border Collie rescue site.
So I showed hub and son, and I decided to fill out an application, not specifically for this dog, but for the site.

Im thinking of maybe heading toward a foster situtation but still unsure.
Im really afraid of getting my heart broke again, but sure miss the companionship of a dog in the house.

I rather wish that this corona thing was not happening. I'd wanted to be able to visit my relatives without worrying about a dog either with us, or in a kennel/boarding spot for a weekend. (obviously I wouldnt do that if I have a new dog new to us, and the routine) I guess thats a mute point now due to shelter in place and the not socializing outside of you *circle*
anyway.....just thought I'd mention that Ive stuck my nose out a bit, to check the air, so to speak.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 10:59 AM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,896 Times in 8,399 Posts

Sounds like a terrific option, SW. I'm afraid I would get too attached. That's why I've stayed away from shelter volunteer work. I'd end up on Animal Hoarders. Lol
Old 07-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,993 Times in 13,770 Posts

We had to put our dog down recently too, and are in a similar situation, but we are leaning towards getting another one. So far, the rescue or adoption options haven't worked, but we'll keep looking.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Donation Award 

I have a feeling I will be super picky. (no diggers, no incessant barkers, no destructo dogs with furniture, and utmost......no seizures. Last reason Im really hesitant. Its still feels fresh.
We shall see.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-29-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,606 Times in 3,745 Posts

I've never been able to foster. Once they have been in my house long enough to train them up, I'm attached to them and they've found their forever home with me.

I understand the emptiness that houses have if you're used to having dogs around. I found the house feels sterile somehow.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 AM
Donation Award 

I did get a call from the fosters. Seems that there could be an issue with this dog.
They want to get him evaluated by a trainer. The reason is another family came to meet him and he growled at them. Foster thinks its due to the face masks.
He also wants to be the dominate dog in any *pack* but here would not be an issue as we have no other dogs. Found out he was adopted out for 2 months to another fam with a small dog that he made so afraid they have to return him.
This has me concerned. Not out of the question but.....

Ive always felt better with puppies. You can shape them to some extent and you each grow up with there little quirks.
But this one? Im not sure.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Two things to think about:

1. How will they behave inside your house, and
2. How will they behave outside of your house.

If he has dominance issues, that means something as trivial as taking him for walks could be really difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Donation Award 

agree on the behavior during walks.

Again, we shall see what the trainer/fosters say. I know Im going to be pretty picky.
Hub and I had a sit down yesterday to discuss. I had to tell him, look.....just because I want to see this dog does not mean Im gonna be all....oooooooooh a doggie.
Going in with eyes wide. So far, after disclosure about him being returned once because the other family had a small doxie that he kept trying to dominate....and it freaked her out......they had to return her........and the growling at a potential adopter does not bode well. Im not ready to toss in a towel yet....but Im gonna have to see something pretty special about this dog. Thats IF he passes whatever tests they are gonna have with him.
I cant have an aggressive dog toward people or kids. Its not like I see my grandson often but I wont invite that kind of trouble into my house.
Even Ricky *poked* Gson last yr when they came by. Gson was hopping around and Ricky was in the thick of it. I watched him poke him in the gut with his nose. (a herding thing) and I crated him. Never let him around kids after that just in case.
I understood it.......lots of activity, excitement....new situation......it was my fault for not recognizing it before it happened.
May as well wait it out a while longer, if this dog isnt adoptable.
Or I can turn to fostering.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
agree on the behavior during walks.

Again, we shall see what the trainer/fosters say. I know Im going to be pretty picky.
Hub and I had a sit down yesterday to discuss. I had to tell him, look.....just because I want to see this dog does not mean Im gonna be all....oooooooooh a doggie.
Going in with eyes wide. So far, after disclosure about him being returned once because the other family had a small doxie that he kept trying to dominate....and it freaked her out......they had to return her........and the growling at a potential adopter does not bode well. Im not ready to toss in a towel yet....but Im gonna have to see something pretty special about this dog. Thats IF he passes whatever tests they are gonna have with him.
I cant have an aggressive dog toward people or kids. Its not like I see my grandson often but I wont invite that kind of trouble into my house.
Even Ricky *poked* Gson last yr when they came by. Gson was hopping around and Ricky was in the thick of it. I watched him poke him in the gut with his nose. (a herding thing) and I crated him. Never let him around kids after that just in case.
I understood it.......lots of activity, excitement....new situation......it was my fault for not recognizing it before it happened.
May as well wait it out a while longer, if this dog isnt adoptable.
Or I can turn to fostering.

Just my two cents wouldn't you be better off just getting a pupy? As you know they not only grow with you but you can train them as to what you want/don't want them to do. It would save you a lot of headache with trying to retrain an already adult dog that has issues.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:10 AM
Donation Award 

I know this, but puppies also come with alot more work in the beginning. I adore puppies, but well.......I think this time around I should consider an adult dog. Rescue one, rather than get a puppy. These pups are fairly expensive too........I just dunno.
Maybe its not the time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Born (08-03-2020), GingerM (08-02-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:08 AM
Donation Award 

so we are going to go up on Saturday to meet this doggo.
They have had him evaluated by a trainer. He is one of those dogs that you need to ignore until he wants to meet you. We are also going to meet while he's on a walk, rather than go to their home. totally understandable. They say he's fine once he knows you.

Since we do not have alot of visitors to our house anyway......it should be ok, but we shall see. Im just not sure about him, but I DO want to meet him.
Guess we shall see if Ranger likes us, and we are a good fit for eachother.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-13-2020), GingerM (08-15-2020), miamac (08-13-2020), safran (08-13-2020), yourself (08-13-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

My Dad's dog (we got him when Mom had to move) was like that. I would describe it as "terribly shy". He was great around us once he settled in. If you do bring him into your house, I recommend you give him dramamine (you can look the dosing per pound up online) for the first 2 - 3 weeks. It makes them a bit sleepy, so they don't get as anxious. Dad's dog was so anxious he vomited every time he ate - so we needed to tamp down the central nervous system. After 3 weeks, his "shyness" had calmed down enough that we took him off it.

The "nice" thing about really shy dogs is they tend not to be aggressive towards strangers, just ... shy. We always told people to ignore him until he came to them (he looked like a giant floofy muppet, so everyone always wanted to pet him). As he got more secure with me/us (he was a mama's dog), he became less timid of others, though his fear never went away completely.
sidewalker (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 AM
Donation Award 

ok. We met him. We did exactly like they suggested. He was fine.
Did great ignoring cars as they passed by on our walk (Ricky did not and wanted to chase them as they passed by..herders....what can you say and he did *grow* out of that, except for skate boarders)
We asked that they give us til next saturday to fully decide, but def leaning toward bringing him home.
He def tells you what he likes and does not like. Its going to be a real change for us, with how he likes to be petted.
He's very treat motivated. Sat every single time when he could see the treats. Now to work on him wanting some praise rather than a treat every time. lol.
(these were also *high value treats......cheese and sausage bits)
He walks very nicely on lead, and would sniff away.....He would join up again after a little kiss kiss or come come.....and walk along side. Also got several looks to my face for direction while we walked. A good sign.
So this week I'll be gathering up supplies (crate, food bowls, toys...(no squeekies or stuffy's tho....)
I did find out he got bit by a rattle snake last month (I think) right in the mouth. He had a stay in the er for that, but other wise is fine.
He layed quietly trying to stay cool, after out walk but I could see those ears working, if I spoke to him, and he'd look right at ya. Hes def got the border collie stare.
He's also mouthy...so we will have to work on that. He does not bite, just mouths. Gently.
He did not like hub touching his feet tho...so nails will have to be done at the vets, I think. Another thing to try to work on.
He does not like pats either. Rather likes face rubs on the side of his mouth.
Lots of *smiles* too.
Will also need to work on door manners. Im out first, not him, and they say he will bolt out and run so no off lead park runs unless we can manage to get some recall.

Found out at the folks who wanted to adopt him first had a few chickens and ducks and one turkey. The turkey would get out all the time, and Ranger got him cornered and wouldnt let him run about. He held him there til a human came a collected the turkey and put him back in his pen. Good boy.....lol.
(we dont have any other animals so, not going to be a worry for us)

I think the fosters have put more concern over things that may not be a concern tho. I sort of wish we encountered another on lead dog.....I wanted to see how he'd react to it. I will try the sit stay.......for a while if we see any other dogs on our walks in my neighborhood.
So its looking like a go.
He's mostly black with two white short socks (dappled) and a small white patch on the chest. Beautiful head and dark brown eyes. His tail seems very long too. Longer than Ricky's and he is smaller than ricky by about 10 lbs. He may have some cattle dog or McNab in him..with that head. Its a tad wider than ricky's was.
Hub thinks he's got a pretty head. lol.
So if we bring him home next saturday, I'll try to post a pic.

Last edited by sidewalker; 08-17-2020 at 05:03 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2020), GingerM (08-17-2020), LifeTraveler (08-23-2020), miamac (08-16-2020), yourself (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 06:47 AM
Donation Award 

Ok, the update. Hub and son picked up Ranger yesterday. He sure had a busy day for a little doggo.
He is settling in pretty good so far. Very busy boy. Of course he had to check out the house and the yard. He's trying to learn the dog door....but its been a little bit of a struggle. I suspect that wont last long. lol @ hub and son showing him out to go in and out. He's done it once both ways on his own...but I have one of the fabric screens on the slider that sort of make it more difficult than it needs to be. I'll fix that better today. With how hot its been I try to keep the back door open during the morning and eve to cool it off, but we are hampered by smoke this week. (whole nother topic there)
We got him on two walks yesterday and he def reacts to other dogs on lead. So we work with it. Either cross the street, or hold tight.

He's a bolter so we have to really work on door manners.
My folks surprise visited (grrrrrrrrr) and he did fine with them. He slept nicely in his crate last night, and this morning after a little running around, he's now resting on the couch. lol.
Busy weekend. Pic to follow soon.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-23-2020), GingerM (08-24-2020), LifeTraveler (08-23-2020), mojook (09-18-2020), safran (08-23-2020), yourself (08-23-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 06:07 AM
Donation Award 

Trying and hoping this works. This buggar is hard to photograph. Those ears tho! lol. My nephew thinks he has devil ears. hahaha....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-25-2020), mojook (09-18-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

He's a happy lookin' fella! Love those eyes - so *aware*.

Black dogs are really difficult to photograph. Our black labramutt has few pictures where he doesn't just look like a black blob with a tail.
sidewalker (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Donation Award 

Yes, Ginger he is VERY aware and the ears follow the noise.
If he didnt already have a name he responds to, he should have been named Shadow. Cause thats what he's been the last few days. totally understandable.
Getting ready to go for our walk. Want to hit the street early due to smoke, heat and others walking with dogs. Want to avoid that as much as I can today.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-27-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Donation Award 

Just thought I'd update yet again.
Ranger is doing quite well. He's scheduled for a vet appt on thursday and Im a bit nervous about it. I've called the vets and told him all I know about him. He's quite dog reactive/aggressive so I do not know how this will work.

Poor guy is pretty nervous about stuff. Like loud noises (loud cars, motorcycles)
He really reacts to other dogs too. Not every single dog but most. So I have alot of head swivel going on looking for other dogs while we walk. I try to take him out super early so there are not too many others out walking theirs.
I try to see them and either put a parked car in front of him so he does not see the other dog, and then treat the hell out of him.
Biggest fear right now is him taking a crap and me trying to pick it up and in the middle of that him seeing another dog.........geez.

He's stopped rushing the door. He's learning to sit at the door before we go on our walk. I make him sit and wait while I go out first. Then treat him and tell him ok, we go now. But at least we can make a move for the front door (to take out garbage or turn off the water or leave for the store) without him running up and trying to bug out.

All us humans are learning to not pat him. Pets only. Pats seem to charge him up and he gets mouthy. He does not bite but he will mouth you like a puppy who is playing with another puppy.

In preparing for his vet appt.....they called and wanted to know if we had any other paperwork from other vets on hand. I told him I did, and gave them the info (also told I'd bring it with to the appt)

In doing that, I noticed that one of the bills, had a birthdate. Found out he is just 1 year old and one month. 8-5-19 is his birthday, which makes a TON of more sense to me. He was not fixed until april of this year. I couldnt figure out why they would wait so long to fix him. (we were told he was 2, so he'd have been like 1 and a half when fixed)

So he's still a puppy, minus the chewing on stuff and pooping or peeing in the house.
We are making some progress. I do want to find a trainer or someone who can help us with the dog aggression/reactiveness. With the covid situation I dont know how that is gonna work. Hoping the vet has some suggestions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2020), mojook (09-18-2020), safran (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Quote:
All us humans are learning to not pat him. Pets only.
My Dad's dog, who we got when Dad fell, was terrified of being patted. We always told people to pet, and always reach under his chin instead of on top of his head.

Your dog may be hand-shy from having been hit on the head/muzzle too many times, so fast movements towards his face may spook him. Patting on the ribs or scratching under the chin may help some of his anxiety go away until he gets used to being around you.

Dad's dog eventually got used to loud sudden noises after he'd been with us a couple of years, but he never lost his anxiety about "pats on the head" - we always reached under his chin.
sidewalker (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Quote:
We are making some progress. I do want to find a trainer or someone who can help us with the dog aggression/reactiveness.
Fer the luv of all things dog, do NOT use Barkbusters. They'll sell you a line, then scare the crap out of your dog. Someone highly recommended these people to us, and the "trainer", after having scared the piss out of our dog (literally - low belly crawl while peeing) demanded we force him to come back and do it again! I told her to leave, that I was NOT going to torture my dog with her "methods" that were doing nothing other than obviously terrifying the dog.

She didn't believe me at first, until I opened the door and said, flatly, "Leave. Now. You are not welcome here."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-14-2020), sidewalker (09-15-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:32 AM
Donation Award 

When he comes up to crash on the couch next to me, I will lean over and give him like 2 or 3 gentle pats on the hip.

Yesterday I was touching his feet.

I dont think he's afraid so much, but it winds him up. swear this guy has springs on his feet. When he goes out the back after a walk or if my hub is going out to play keep away with the ball......he leaps off the back step. Its pretty hilarious.
He will chase his own tail...(which is why I think the end has a kink in it)

Like I said....biggest issue with him for us is the walking on a leash and reactiveness with other dogs.
My neighbors grand daughter has a husky mix. She came over the other day with her dog. I didnt see the other dog, but we (son, his gf and I) were going for our morning walk. The neighbor goes to her truck and lets her dog out (no leash) and it runs over to Ranger.......caos insues. She is trying to get her dog to come, Ranger is having NONE of it and goes all out. he has that dog on her back in seconds. My son is trying to pull Ranger away and finally neighbor gets her dog by the collar (thank god for at least that)
I was not as close so i didnt see exactly what was happening. but I do know there was a gnashing of teeth. We checked Ranger and he was fine.
I saw her later and asked after her dog Aspen. She said she was fine.
This was totally on her, imho. Her dog has come after the mailman before when she broke the tie out rope they had her on. (would never do that with a dog if I was not outside with the dog)
anyway......gotta work on the dog aggressive thing. I mean I dont expect him to chum up with other dogs. I just want him to ignore them if they are on the other side of the street.

fbopnomore (09-16-2020), GingerM (09-16-2020), mojook (09-18-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Have you tried walking him near dogs, but with a bit of dried liver in your hand?

The idea is to give him something positive to associate with other dogs being around - so when another dog comes around, you curl a piece of dried liver into your hand where he can smell it and maybe even lick it, but can't eat it. Then, once you're past the 'strange' dogs, you give him the treat.

Eventually, he will start associating the liver with other dogs and start looking to you instead of focusing on the dogs. I doubt you'll ever be able to let him off leash in public, or take him to a dog park, but this would help with issues like the neighbor's dog.

It will also require that you be obsessively consistent - we had a little pouch that hung off our belt that we would carry the liver in. Our (now ancient) lab knew that if we reached for the bag, that meant treat, so if something scary was coming, we'd reach for the bag, and put the liver-in-hand right in front of his nose.

That said, I have known dogs where this didn't work, but it's worth a try. Freeze dried liver can be obtained at most any pet store. Just don't put it in your pockets unless you want your pants perpetually nosed and you REALLY like the smell of liver
Old 09-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Donation Award 

lol, bluck.
(liver)
Ive tried it with treats like cut up hot dogs (which he loves but I hate, lol)
When he see's another dog? Its full on attention. I cannot seem to get him focused on me. Ive got an appt with the vet today. Hoping it goes well and they have some suggestions.

Been seeing articles on the gentle leader......(its a collar/thingy) But want to run it by the vet.

fbopnomore (09-17-2020), GingerM (09-18-2020), mojook (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Gentle leaders are great tho' it may take him some time to get used to them. We had to get one for ours when he was young and his hips still worked well. Now he's ancient and creaky and it's not as big of a problem.

If you do get one, make sure the vet shows you how to put one on - they're tricky and if they're not on correctly they either won't work, or you can hurt the dog.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-18-2020), sidewalker (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 08:24 AM
Donation Award 

yeah, Ive been reading up on them and how they can injure the dog.