Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Advice from someone who's been there

My son is on parole, mandatory after completion of sentence. He has been out for two months. He started working within a week of release. Everything seemed hopeful. He lost his job. I found a needle this morning. I suspect he has started back on heroin. Now I suspect it is only a matter of time before he will be back in prison or worse. Anything I can say or do to stop the downslide. The case managers care only about how to send back not how to help reintegrate.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Flippin-N-Flyin
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,673 Posts

I would confront him, tell him what you found. I would offer to help him find help before it's to late. This has happened to my son, only he wasn't on parole he was out when he went down the second time and he has a 12 year sentence with 2 suspended. He has now been in 3 1/2 years and is looking to parole in May next year. The only good thing that has came out of this is, he is alive! I hope your son will seek the help he needs and soon!

Love my 1st grandson, RIP
I miss you!
The Following User Says Thank You to wickit For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (10-03-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM

My only advice to you is do not enable him... if you feel he is using then your gut feelings probley are right.. confrontation with him is not good, as you dont know what kind of mood he might be in. Ingoring the fact that he may be using isnt good either..
I would just find a peaceful time and just tell him that you are there for him like you always have been and kinda slip in the needle that you found as part of the conversation.
Remember him using is his choice, you can not blame yourself for it, or even try to save him..
IF he is living with you, then you need to set some ground rules and stick with them.. such as he has to hold a job, he has to help pay his way, make him be responsible for his actions.
And yes I said I had only one word of advice but there are many I could give in the end, you will have to find what works for you ...
My prayers are with you and your son

Blessings
Tina
Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 PM

My husband was on parole and did "good" for 6 months then didn't drop because he was "dirty" put on teether and he did it again. Now he is in jail waiting.... I didn't know he was even using (I might add I go to AA and Al anon) heroin is cunning, baffling and powerful. Be careful when you approach him and always remember HE has to decide when he wants to seek help. It may take another trip back to jail. Please look out for yourself and don't enable him it only makes it worse and the person you love is not the person you see now. It is heroin try to seperate the person from the addiction. Being powerless sucks but he is going to have to learn himself. I will pray for strength for you and your son.