Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Default How do I help my husband ?

I met my amazing husband while he was in the county jail. We hit it off immediately. It was like I'd known him for years. He is such a sweet person. He really is. He was in prison for DWIs and drug use. He promised me while he was in prison that he was done with all that stuff. And...for a while, he was. We just recently moved to Colorado and he started drinking again. Then, the other day, he came home from work and he had weed on his breath. He finally told me, after lying to me for 30 minutes, that he in fact took hits from whatever they call those things. Then, he promised me he would NEVER do that again. I guess, before I met him, he was knee-deep in drugs AND alcohol. That's why I told him that it's not even good for him to drink ONE beer. Hell, I know it's just a beer, but with someone like Jr, he won't know when to stop. I don't want him to end up like before. I know a lot of people don't mind weed and whatnot...but I've never done it. I wouldn't even know how and I DO NOT allow it anywhere near me. He knows that and he still chose to do it. We moved from NM to get away from the bad influences!! What did we move TO!!?? I just don't know how I should handle his behavior. I know that you can't change the MWIs, but.....does every promise that they made when they were inside not matter on the outside?????? I bring that up to him and all he says is that he didn't expect to work "this" hard for his family. I am just beside myself. Since his drinking, we have been fighting worse and worse every day. We have taken off our wedding rings and yelled at each other. But, after the fight, we tell each other that we REFUSE to give up and that we will NEVER stop working for this relationship. I don't feel like I've wasted my time with this MWI, I really don't. I just think we need a mediator...but guess who's not for that one bit!? UGH Sorry to vent, you guys. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Ashmari3

He needs AA if he is an alcoholic and it will only work if he truely wants to stop. You cant love someone sober. My kids dad is an alcoholic. He was very maniplulative and emotionally abusive sometimes physically. It took me over 9 yrs to figure out that its up to him not me. I think you need to talk to someone by yourself if he wont go with you.
kari05 (09-27-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Onto the next hurdle

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,068 Posts

I would also recommend Al-Anon, which is support for familys. He needs to snap out of the denial he's in about his problem and seek help. But you need to educate yourself as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 PM

I don't know what I would do if I didn't go to al-anon (and I go to AA too) the more you "talk" to others the more you (I) know that you (I'm) not alone!!! good luck
Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmari3 View Post
He needs AA if he is an alcoholic and it will only work if he truely wants to stop. You cant love someone sober. My kids dad is an alcoholic. He was very maniplulative and emotionally abusive sometimes physically. It took me over 9 yrs to figure out that its up to him not me. I think you need to talk to someone by yourself if he wont go with you.

I read this and wasnt going to post but had to as it hits home with me. You dont know how much I appreciate that statement. Ive tried and Lord knows Ive had to realize the same thing myself. It deff is/was a struggle.

I agree with the fellower posters. He does need some type of program/counseling. I also believe that if he doesnt want to go you can still attend ones for family members. Keep your head up I know its hard.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Ashmari3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari05

I read this and wasnt going to post but had to as it hits home with me. You dont know how much I appreciate that statement. Ive tried and Lord knows Ive had to realize the same thing myself. It deff is/was a struggle.

I agree with the fellower posters. He does need some type of program/counseling. I also believe that if he doesnt want to go you can still attend ones for family members. Keep your head up I know its hard.
You always feel very alone in those situations. I know I did. Especially when they purposely isolate you. Im here if ya ever wanna talk.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,552 Times in 11,004 Posts

One more vote for the AA/Alanon, NA/NarAnon! And while you're at it, get yourself a backbone that will help you hold whatever line you need to draw here. If you drink/smoke, don't come home. If you're not going to meetings, don't come home. If you involve me in any of this ghastly behavior, this relationship has to end. Stick to it. You're not going to save him by giving in. You may save yourself by standing strong . . . he may or may not benefit.

It's a horrible, horrible situation. I had to do an intervention with my partner of 13 years, and one of the requirements given by the leader was that we all had to remove ourselves from his life as a consequence if he would not get to rehab and meetings. It failed. We had to stop being together. His lying, sneaking - it was tearing me apart. I had to get healthy, even if he didn't.
lisainengland (10-03-2011)