Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Default He'll be on probation: I have an old felony, will that matter?

Another post had me wondering. My man is getting out in February after 14 years. He will be on probation. Will the fact I have a felony from 1998 matter? I am worried now if we will be able to be together.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,160 Times in 3,058 Posts

It might. One of the most common parole/probation rules is not to be around other felons. Of course, in today's world, that's often hard to do.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,859 Times in 16,516 Posts

It technically could per those standard parole / probation rules & regulations, but he can request permission from his PO to be with you. The PO could deny it, but your felony is soooo long ago I don't think it'll matter.....at least I hope that it won't make a difference.

Many states are passing bills that allow certain felonies to be expunged after a set length of time off probation / parole. Check the state where you picked the felony to see if they expunge felony records. Good luck!!.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Scott (08-27-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Lifer Found Suitable

oh dear, I feel you on this!

Regardless of his probation / parole conditions, your felonies are no longer within active time frame - I mean in California ours fall off standard background checks and are no longer actively appearing as active after 7 years from the time of release.

I served nearly 2 years for my felonies, went 7 years unable to see / visit Jr, but I was legally married to my daughters dad at the time and was oddly approved to visit him - I thought it was due to being married so I never questioned it.

Now that Jr has been granted parole, we are planning to live together after a 6 month stay at a THU, which is a mandatory condition of parole. For us, in California, me being an ex-felon has no weight on prole dictating whether we can live together or not. The home he chooses to live in must give the right to search and seizure - I will not be aloud to have any alcohol or drug substances in or around my property, it is an automatic violation of his prole, but my old felonies are no longer active.

Get a copy of your mans probation conditions, just to be clear and on the same page. Probation sounds lighter than parole, which is a great thing! I wouldn't sweat your old felonies, but if you want clarity, contact your local probation office as a concerned citizen, I just wouldn't share my mans name with anyone over there.

Best Wishes to you both!
The Following User Says Thank You to 408MoonGem For This Useful Post:
Peacefinder (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,685 Times in 13,056 Posts

Here are the Wisconsin DOC's standard rules of probation, which do not restrict contact with felons. The only way that would be an issue is if his PO makes it an "any additional rules established by your agent. The additional rules established by your agent may be modified at any time as appropriate".

Since it isn't something Wisconsin seems to be worried about, my advice is not to bring it up unless his PO does.

https://doc.wi.gov/Pages/AboutDOC/Co...sionRules.aspx