Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Default The process - At Jackson. Now What?

My husband just left county for Jackson. From everything I have read he may be there anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. He doesn't seem to have a lot of medical issues or anything like that so I don't forsee anything like that holding him up.

However, now what? Can I go ahead and start sending him letters and money? Or do I wait to hear from him first? He only had like $18 in his account that went with him over to Jackson. So I imagine he will need some money. Do I go ahead and put money on the phone system so that he can get through if he calls? This process is so confusing to me. I have no idea what I need to be doing right now and what I need to wait to do.

Other than for stamps and calls what do they need money for in Jackson anyways, do they even get commissary while they are going through diagnostics?

Thanks in advance! No clue what I would do without this group!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2019, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,128 Times in 3,178 Posts

First up is to find out how the phone system works in prisons (what happened in county jail is not necessarily going to be the same as what happens in state prisons). Then set up an account with the provider, then put money on that account. He'll have to set up his phone account before he can call you and before you can be on his approved phone list. That will happen in diagnostics.

Next up is to find out how you can deposit money to his books in prison. Again, it's possible/probable that it won't be the same as it was in county.

I don't know the Georgia system well, but in most states, they do not get commissary while in diagnostics/intake. So you have a little bit of time to figure this out.

If you plan on visiting, you might also want to do some poking around on the DOC website to see how that system works.

One word of warning: during all the time leading up to the final judgment order from the judge, you will have spent a lot of time trying to Get Things Done. Now that he's in diagnostics, you won't be able to do much of anything. This is the hard transition to make - he likely won't have time to call, or not much time. You won't be able to visit (I don't think, again, double check that). Everything will be a big black box, and you'll be stuck waiting to see what comes out the other side of the black box.

Once he gets to his home institution, you'll have a much better idea of what's going on and how to do it, and you'll be able to call the prison directly to help with some of these questions. The time they spend in diagnostics is very different from all the time leading up to it, and is a rough transition to sit through.

Hang in there, you're in the last stages of the worst of it all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
4Bobby (07-26-2019), Wifenwaiting (07-29-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:11 PM

Thanked 1,823 Times in 731 Posts

Going to Jackson is an evaluation process & from there they are usually sent to their incarceration facility. Think of Jackson as a sort of staging area. Some people do stay at Jackson prison but the Diagnostic facility is a pass through.
If you have his GDC# you can write him.
Inmate Name, ID Number
​Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison
P.O. Box 3877
Jackson, GA 30233
Visitation is allowed after 60 days but most don't stay there that long. You need to get on his approved list for visitation & that covers all the state facilities he may go to. That will also allow you to eventually put money on his account but he won't get that at Jackson. My son called us after about 2 or 3 weeks there.

If you have other questions you can reach out to the DOC at 770-504-7312.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (07-28-2019), Wifenwaiting (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
First up is to find out how the phone system works in prisons (what happened in county jail is not necessarily going to be the same as what happens in state prisons). Then set up an account with the provider, then put money on that account. He'll have to set up his phone account before he can call you and before you can be on his approved phone list. That will happen in diagnostics.

Next up is to find out how you can deposit money to his books in prison. Again, it's possible/probable that it won't be the same as it was in county.

I don't know the Georgia system well, but in most states, they do not get commissary while in diagnostics/intake. So you have a little bit of time to figure this out.

If you plan on visiting, you might also want to do some poking around on the DOC website to see how that system works.

One word of warning: during all the time leading up to the final judgment order from the judge, you will have spent a lot of time trying to Get Things Done. Now that he's in diagnostics, you won't be able to do much of anything. This is the hard transition to make - he likely won't have time to call, or not much time. You won't be able to visit (I don't think, again, double check that). Everything will be a big black box, and you'll be stuck waiting to see what comes out the other side of the black box.

Once he gets to his home institution, you'll have a much better idea of what's going on and how to do it, and you'll be able to call the prison directly to help with some of these questions. The time they spend in diagnostics is very different from all the time leading up to it, and is a rough transition to sit through.

Hang in there, you're in the last stages of the worst of it all.
Thank you! I put money on his phone account just in case he does try to call.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Going to Jackson is an evaluation process & from there they are usually sent to their incarceration facility. Think of Jackson as a sort of staging area. Some people do stay at Jackson prison but the Diagnostic facility is a pass through.
If you have his GDC# you can write him.
Inmate Name, ID Number
​Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison
P.O. Box 3877
Jackson, GA 30233
Visitation is allowed after 60 days but most don't stay there that long. You need to get on his approved list for visitation & that covers all the state facilities he may go to. That will also allow you to eventually put money on his account but he won't get that at Jackson. My son called us after about 2 or 3 weeks there.

If you have other questions you can reach out to the DOC at 770-504-7312.
I started writing him. Havent heard anything back yet. But I imagine I will get a letter soon. I know he will write as soon as possible. Was wondering if I send him any photos or letters while he is at diagnostics can he take it with him when he leaves to go to his "home" prison? Didn't want to send a ton. But thought a photo or two would be nice since he cant heard my voice or anything.

And yes, I keep checking Jpay to put money on his account and it says im not on an approved list. So I guess they haven't updated that yet.

Also, was wondering when his TPM might show up online? His name does not even pull up on the TPM site yet. I assume that that will pop up after diagnostics? Or in diagnostics is when this is determined?

Sorry for all of the questions!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,128 Times in 3,178 Posts

I sent my Dad photos, then when he moved, I sent them again. If you can scan/print the photos, then you'll have an electronic copy that you can print again if you need to. Most print stores (like FedEx Office) can scan a photo for you and print it.

I did the same with my letters. Saved them to my hard drive in case he never received them. This was true when he got to his home institution as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Wifenwaiting (07-30-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanked 1,823 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifenwaiting View Post
I started writing him. Havent heard anything back yet. But I imagine I will get a letter soon. I know he will write as soon as possible. Was wondering if I send him any photos or letters while he is at diagnostics can he take it with him when he leaves to go to his "home" prison? Didn't want to send a ton. But thought a photo or two would be nice since he cant heard my voice or anything.

And yes, I keep checking Jpay to put money on his account and it says im not on an approved list. So I guess they haven't updated that yet.

Also, was wondering when his TPM might show up online? His name does not even pull up on the TPM site yet. I assume that that will pop up after diagnostics? Or in diagnostics is when this is determined?

Sorry for all of the questions!

He won't get a TPM while he's in Diagnostics. It's usually after he is in his assigned facility. Sometimes they are slow to update the sites even after a date is given. And those dates are suggestions, not set in stone. They can change his date. Things move very slowly in the DOC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-02-2019), Wifenwaiting (08-02-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
My husband just left county for Jackson. From everything I have read he may be there anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. He doesn't seem to have a lot of medical issues or anything like that so I don't forsee anything like that holding him up.

However, now what? Can I go ahead and start sending him letters and money? Or do I wait to hear from him first? He only had like $18 in his account that went with him over to Jackson. So I imagine he will need some money. Do I go ahead and put money on the phone system so that he can get through if he calls? This process is so confusing to me. I have no idea what I need to be doing right now and what I need to wait to do.

Other than for stamps and calls what do they need money for in Jackson anyways, do they even get commissary while they are going through diagnostics?

Thanks in advance! No clue what I would do without this group!
My boyfriend has been at Jackson for almost a week. I tried to put money on JPay also but it says I知 not on visitation list. I知 hoping his money from county will transfer to him. I also put some money on the phone, just in case. Hoping he won稚 be there long. This is all new to me also!
The Following User Says Thank You to tabcare For This Useful Post:
Wifenwaiting (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabcare View Post
My boyfriend has been at Jackson for almost a week. I tried to put money on JPay also but it says I知 not on visitation list. I知 hoping his money from county will transfer to him. I also put some money on the phone, just in case. Hoping he won稚 be there long. This is all new to me also!
Hi Tab!
My husband left there at exactly 4 weeks. It was a long 4 weeks! On the third week he was able to call me for about 10 minutes. So yes! Def put some money on his account to call you.

JPAY will not allow anyone other than parents to put money on his account until he transfers. So his parents set up an account in their name and gave me the login info and I used my card to put money on his account.

The money that my husband had with him at county did transfer. However, they took $10 off of the top of it for fees they said. So he only had $8 until we could get some money on his account.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know how much this board has helped me and I felt so lost. I will say Jackson was the worst of the worst. My husband said it was 2 man cells, no AC, they came out of their cell for food and that was it. And he said they only gave about 5 minutes to eat. So it was tough. But once he gets through it, its much better!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wifenwaiting For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Hi Tab!
My husband left there at exactly 4 weeks. It was a long 4 weeks! On the third week he was able to call me for about 10 minutes. So yes! Def put some money on his account to call you.

JPAY will not allow anyone other than parents to put money on his account until he transfers. So his parents set up an account in their name and gave me the login info and I used my card to put money on his account.

The money that my husband had with him at county did transfer. However, they took $10 off of the top of it for fees they said. So he only had $8 until we could get some money on his account.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I know how much this board has helped me and I felt so lost. I will say Jackson was the worst of the worst. My husband said it was 2 man cells, no AC, they came out of their cell for food and that was it. And he said they only gave about 5 minutes to eat. So it was tough. But once he gets through it, its much better!
Hi! Thank you for your reply! We have 1 week down now, lol. Hopefully not much longer. Still haven’t heard from him. His parents are no longer living so I’m not sure how to get money in JPay. Do they get to use the money while at Jackson? Is the phone system Securus?
Where did your husband get transferred out to?

Last edited by tabcare; 08-27-2019 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 08-27-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabcare View Post
Hi! Thank you for your reply! We have 1 week down now, lol. Hopefully not much longer. Still haven稚 heard from him. His parents are no longer living so I知 not sure how to get money in JPay. Do they get to use the money while at Jackson? Is the phone system Securus?
Where did your husband get transferred out to?
I have no idea what they will do if he does not have any living parents. It may be that you can mail in moneyorders to JPAY and maybe they will apply them this way. I am not sure. I would call the prison and ask them. I just know you cant go online on JPAY and do a payment.

You can write him though. So beign sending him letters. And if you cant send him money I would go ahead and send him a stamp and an envelope each time you write him so that he can write you back if he will not have money for commissary.

They do get commissary in there on Tuesdays. And its great if he will have money for commissary. My husband said the first week when he didn't have it was the worst because the weekends in there they only feed them twice. And a couple of times they didn't even give them water or anything to drink with their dinner. So his cell mate was nice enough to give him a honey bun and a soda to get him through the weekend until he could get commissary. He left exactly 4 weeks, his cellmate left in 6 weeks and his second cellmate was about 3 1/2 weeks. So plan for 4 weeks and hopefully it wont be as long.

My husband is at Dodge now. But they send them a little bit of everywhere. Hard to predict where they will end up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wifenwaiting For This Useful Post:
tabcare (08-27-2019)