Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:58 AM

Default Going in MDOC in 3 weeks!! Help!!!

Hi my name is mark I知 22 years old. I was convicted of a felony firearm and have to serve the mandatory 2 year sentence. I致e made some bad choices in my life.. regardless of that.. I go in for sentencing April 10th. I just wanted some info on how it will start out for me. What can I do during the first 30 days where they have you locked up 22 hours a day. Normal tasks in prison I can do.. such as, can I stay outside all day.. how much money can be sent to me. During quarantine can my family send me books?? How can they send me books. I知 scared of the first 30 days they say your locked up 22 hours a day. That seems scary to me. I知 just worried. I know I brought this opon myself.. and I知 paying for my mistakes.. just want to know the basics. Can I take classes for work (like welding or somthing) can I eat when I want. Is there good food like soda or juice? Thanks for your help guys
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2018, 05:31 AM

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,471 Posts

First of all take a deep breath. I know it's scary I would be scared myself.
I will ask my husband how quarantine is I don't know how long your locked up but I do know that you can have any amt of money sent there. But once you get to your first prison if you owe any money for court costs or restitution they will take half of anything sent in from that point on. So have whoever send it in when your in quarantine. So as soon as you get there they will give you what you need to shower etc but if you can make sure your money is there asap then you can order paper and envelopes to write asap. I wouldnt have them send you books there it takes forever and you might be gone by then. Books can only be send from amazon and make sure to tell them they have to come through amazon only not a third party througj amazon if that makes sence. You will see someone in quarantine and they will tell you what the board recommends ask them if you can be in the building trades program or maybe ask your lawyer to ask the judge about it. My husband is in that program and he's learned all kinds of skills and gotten lots of certificates That's pretty much all you will be able to do until your transferred out.
As far as what you can do while in prison. The parole board will tell you while in quarantine what classes they want you to have completed before you see them but my advice to you is take all the classes you can because the first year your in its pretty much a waiting game to even start those classes. Get a small job if you can it will keep you busy. It depends on what level your in on how much you can be out side. You only get and hour or two here and there but again it depends on which prison and how they do things. A t.v. costs like 135$ and you will want a jpay player and I think they are between 20 and 40$ So that money sent to quarantine if at all possible get it built up so you can have these things because you will want to have your own. If you have any other questions I'll try to help.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
First of all take a deep breath. I know it's scary I would be scared myself.
I will ask my husband how quarantine is I don't know how long your locked up but I do know that you can have any amt of money sent there. But once you get to your first prison if you owe any money for court costs or restitution they will take half of anything sent in from that point on. So have whoever send it in when your in quarantine. So as soon as you get there they will give you what you need to shower etc but if you can make sure your money is there asap then you can order paper and envelopes to write asap. I wouldnt have them send you books there it takes forever and you might be gone by then. Books can only be send from amazon and make sure to tell them they have to come through amazon only not a third party througj amazon if that makes sence. You will see someone in quarantine and they will tell you what the board recommends ask them if you can be in the building trades program or maybe ask your lawyer to ask the judge about it. My husband is in that program and he's learned all kinds of skills and gotten lots of certificates That's pretty much all you will be able to do until your transferred out.
As far as what you can do while in prison. The parole board will tell you while in quarantine what classes they want you to have completed before you see them but my advice to you is take all the classes you can because the first year your in its pretty much a waiting game to even start those classes. Get a small job if you can it will keep you busy. It depends on what level your in on how much you can be out side. You only get and hour or two here and there but again it depends on which prison and how they do things. A t.v. costs like 135$ and you will want a jpay player and I think they are between 20 and 40$ So that money sent to quarantine if at all possible get it built up so you can have these things because you will want to have your own. If you have any other questions I'll try to help.
Thank you so much all this information helps. I知 a really nice guy just made some wrong mistakes in life trying to change for the better. I知 pretty sure once they see that I値l be on level 1. I知 going to try hard. My judge is really nice she doesn稚 oppose court costs and fees so I should be good with that as well. I知 lucky to have a mother and father that can provide money for me inside. Shouldn稚 have a problem with that either. And the building trade program seems interesting I知 going to ask the judge about it. Like I said quarantine in Jackson scares me. I知 going from being able to do whatever I want and a cozy bed, to bring locked in a small room with a shitty bed for most of the day. (Don稚 do the crime if you can稚 do the time) thank you all of this helps a lot
Old 03-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark5695 View Post
Thank you so much all this information helps. I知 a really nice guy just made some wrong mistakes in life trying to change for the better. I知 pretty sure once they see that I値l be on level 1. I知 going to try hard. My judge is really nice she doesn稚 oppose court costs and fees so I should be good with that as well. I知 lucky to have a mother and father that can provide money for me inside. Shouldn稚 have a problem with that either. And the building trade program seems interesting I知 going to ask the judge about it. Like I said quarantine in Jackson scares me. I知 going from being able to do whatever I want and a cozy bed, to bring locked in a small room with a shitty bed for most of the day. (Don稚 do the crime if you can稚 do the time) thank you all of this helps a lot
No-one is perfect and we all make mistakes don't be so hard on yourself. Your not in a room by yourself in quarantine. Your in a room full of people I'm pretty sure of that. But i will ask my husband when he calls later.
Being in a level one isnt chosen because yoyr a good guy it goes by the crime and other things. But being this is your first time you should be ok as long as your crime wasn't violent.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark5695 View Post
Hi my name is mark I知 22 years old. I was convicted of a felony firearm and have to serve the mandatory 2 year sentence. I致e made some bad choices in my life.. regardless of that.. I go in for sentencing April 10th. I just wanted some info on how it will start out for me. What can I do during the first 30 days where they have you locked up 22 hours a day. Normal tasks in prison I can do.. such as, can I stay outside all day.. how much money can be sent to me. During quarantine can my family send me books?? How can they send me books. I知 scared of the first 30 days they say your locked up 22 hours a day. That seems scary to me. I知 just worried. I know I brought this opon myself.. and I知 paying for my mistakes.. just want to know the basics. Can I take classes for work (like welding or somthing) can I eat when I want. Is there good food like soda or juice? Thanks for your help guys
While in quarantine, you will have yard once a day. Other than that you will be in your cell, unless you get a job in there. Sometimes others will pass their books to you for reading. Family should set up phone thru GTL so you can call them. I believe you will be given ID number before you can call or you can buy minutes yourself and make phone calls. You need to check about the books. When you get to home prison, the books need to be from an approved vendor, such as Amazon or Barnes N Noble. No third party buys. Books can also come from the publisher. There are certain chow times when you eat so don't know about other eating when you want or if they have vending machines with juice or soda available to buy. Processing takes time before you are sent to home prison ~ then you will have more free time. And read the rules of etiquette posted on here.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:59 PM

Mark my husband said you are in a cell by yourself and sometimes you have a cell mate. But the first two weeks you are there you are out of your cell alot so it's not so bad. He did give me the name of the program he's in but I forgot. I'm going back for a second visit in an hour I will ask him again and let you know. He said you should ask while in quarantine but they will tell you to wait till you get to your first prison and then ask your counselor but you should do both.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:22 PM

It's called vocational village.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 AM

I hear the fear in your words... I was in the same boat 8 years ago...not knowing what to expect, how I would make it. The first thing and the most important thing you have going for you is family support, be thankful for that, because prison is a lonely place for the new guy. That being said, I will tell you quarantine can vary from 3 weeks to 6 weeks depending on how many people are shuffling in and out. Hope for a cell to yourself, but when I was there I had a cellmate. It can help the boredom, but I would have preferred to be by myself. There are no vending machines in quarantine. And to be honest you will be lucky to get any "store" during your time there. Store is every 2 weeks, and depending on when you get there you may have to wait 4 weeks to get anything. What I mean by that is if you get there and they just ordered store, that means they order this week and get things the next week. You would have to wait till week 3 to order anything and receive it week 4. It sucks, I'm not gonna lie. I wrote my girl every day, but I couldn't get any stamped envelopes for 4 weeks! She thought I just forgot about her. Also, when you get yard, it is a race for the phones. You are limited to 15 minutes per call, and in quarantine you better not make a 2nd call there will be a huge line for the phone.

I could go on and on about what to expect, but I will be honest, you will learn and learn quickly. Your time will be what you make of it. If you want to get out on time, try to get any and all classes done ASAP, although from what I have heard there are waiting lists for most required classes, that's why you need to get on the list ASAP, because you will not be paroled without requirements completed.

Do not flaunt what you have and your first purchase should be a lock! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER leave your things unlocked. Any prison you get sent to you will have a locker, anything you leave laying around will be stolen. I think someone said a TV costs $135, unless the prices came down, they run about $200+ now. I have been out for 4 years, so that number could be different.

You will be approached by people to try and "befriend" you, especially if you have people sending you money,...be wary of everyone. There will be some genuine people that you will meet, but if you have only 2 years, I would advise you to keep to yourself as much as possible.

Once you get sent to your main prison, being a first timer, you may go over the bridge, which again sucks, because more than likely you won't get too many visits. There are plenty of things to do...weight pits, basketball, softball, gyms, tracks, pretty much anything. Some prisons have vending machines for pop, some don't...you need to purchase a card and pay through the store to add money to it. Its a whole process, again you will learn...you have no choice but to learn.

If you have any specific questions I will answer as best I can..this site was a savior for me and my girl prior to entering, so I am trying to give back a little. Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottp13 For This Useful Post:
ItsMe81 (03-31-2018), Sarianna (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM

Tv's are still about 135$
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 AM

Ok...I know when they first eliminated the box TV and you could only buy a little flat screen they were around $200. Again I have been out for 4 years and just released off of parole a year or so ago, so the costs I am not sure of at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottp13 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-31-2018)