Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 PM

Default Point System for Levels?

Is there something I can read that explains to me what points go into determining what level a man is at? I could be asking entirely wrong. HOw often are men looked at for evaluating what level they should be at? My LO has been at his prison for almost 6 months now as a first time offender. They put him in at a higher level because of the length of his sentence. In the time he has been there he has not received any tickets. He participates in church and programs. I was curious how long it might be before they change him to a Level I or minimally, change what facility he is in? I love his facility. I just wish he was closer to home

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Basically they assign a level to you at RGC. They have a bunch of criteria that assigns points and based on your points determines your level...for the most part!

However, the length of the sentence is an underlying factor in level placement. In my situation, everything about me said I should be a level 1 prisoner (1st time, non violent, etc etc)...the one exception is I got 4 to 10 years as my sentence. Anything over 3 years you are initially assigned to a level 2 or higher depending on your crime.

There is no set timetable on how long you have to stay at the higher level. It really depends on the counselor assigned to the unit that your LO is at. I stayed at a level 2 for 7 months, then they moved me to a level 1 (even with more than 3 years left on my sentence, makes a lot of sense to me, they can't put you in a level 1 with more than 3 years, but they can transfer you to a level 1 with more than 3 years)

But to be honest, the LEVEL 2 time was better and less hectic then the LEVEL 1 time I did...Hope that helps you a little. Make sure your LO stays ticket free, otherwise they will stay at the level they are at longer...
The Following User Says Thank You to scottp13 For This Useful Post:
EccentricManda (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Thank you for your explanation. Yes he likes level 2 for that reason. His facility currently has been a very good one. He keeps to himself and doesn't come even close to tickets. Overall he is around a bunch of chubby old white men currently. He would be great if that is how he spent the rest of his bit. The younger generation is difficult to tolerate a lot of the time. So perhaps I will just stay content with where he is at.. it's a 5 hour drive for me but it is only two days of extra hassle for me a month. He has to live there every day and that should be more important for the long term aspect

Old 04-05-2018, 10:09 AM

Based on my time with the MDOC, he will be moved at least a couple of more times during his his bit. In 4 years I was moved 4 times, RGC to Chippewa to JCS to Macomb and then out to West Shoreline. I never received a ticket in 4 years, so it wasn't behavior driven....don't worry too much about his current location, it will not be permanent. Hopefully his next spot will be more convenient for you. Where is he currently?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp13 View Post
Based on my time with the MDOC, he will be moved at least a couple of more times during his his bit. In 4 years I was moved 4 times, RGC to Chippewa to JCS to Macomb and then out to West Shoreline. I never received a ticket in 4 years, so it wasn't behavior driven....don't worry too much about his current location, it will not be permanent. Hopefully his next spot will be more convenient for you. Where is he currently?
He is in Kinross.. I know we do not have anything to compare it to but it has been a good positive experience so far. I have visited about 6 three day weekends.. The CO's have all been very nice. If he was within 2-2 1/2 hours I could go see him a day at a time and not have to pay for a hotel too. Half the gas.

Within 2 hours of me there is Brooks, Oaks, Muskegon CF, and if i am not mistaken, Ionia and such are 2 1/2 hrs.. etc.. so several options for something closer. I just don't want him to end up in a rough place just because I wanted him closer. I feel kinda selfish for wanting it lol!

Old 04-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricManda View Post
He is in Kinross.. I know we do not have anything to compare it to but it has been a good positive experience so far. I have visited about 6 three day weekends.. The CO's have all been very nice. If he was within 2-2 1/2 hours I could go see him a day at a time and not have to pay for a hotel too. Half the gas.

Within 2 hours of me there is Brooks, Oaks, Muskegon CF, and if i am not mistaken, Ionia and such are 2 1/2 hrs.. etc.. so several options for something closer. I just don't want him to end up in a rough place just because I wanted him closer. I feel kinda selfish for wanting it lol!
They will move him at some point they don't let guys get to comfy at one prison. My husband has been to at least seven since day one.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
They will move him at some point they don't let guys get to comfy at one prison. My husband has been to at least seven since day one.
They have to justify all the jobs for all of their transportation people!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp13 View Post
They have to justify all the jobs for all of their transportation people!
Right....its dumb. They once missed him all the way to the bridge. But he was there for two weeks then they moved him closer.

Last edited by nygirl17; 04-05-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricManda View Post

dont ever feel selfish! You are just as much doing time as he is...it is hard for everyone, ay little thing that makes it easier on you is worth hoping for. it really doesn't matter where he is, there will be issues of some kind...he just has to learn to do the time, and not let the time do him! Good Luck to you!