Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

View Poll Results: Would you take his last name once married ?
Dont have to ask me twice.....wheres the closest DMV ! 1,596 77.63%
Maybe if he really pushes it.... 31 1.51%
hypnate it, keep mines and add his.... 264 12.84%
I might once he gets out...... 99 4.82%
Probably not ........... 66 3.21%
Voters: 2056. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2004, 05:24 PM
So in Luv

I am changing my name as soon as its done Ive already started using his name
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Account Closed

To those that are already married -- just remember this and don't make the mistake I made one time -- whatever name is on your social security card is the name your taxes have to be filed under. Otherwise -- they will be bounced back. So don't file under your married name unless you have changed your social security card. Boy was I shocked that year! LOL

Val
Old 12-24-2004, 06:08 PM
"Bonnie&Clyde"

I know as soon as we are married in June 2005 I will take his name. I don't know how I will tell my family. I want his name legally, but how can I do it without the family knowing. My father helps me financially so I don't know. But it is my life and I have to do what makes me happy. I know I couldn't wait until he came home. He already consider me as his wife as I consider him my husband. He writes it on the mail as I do,so I'm just waiting to make it official.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:13 PM

I am not sure if I should vote because we married before he went in and divorced before he went in (lol). Anyways when we married I dropped my first name, I had never used it. I used my middle name, maiden name then his last name.

Even after we divorced I left it the same!! My maiden name has lots of meaning to me and I would NEVER let it go.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:21 AM

Hi and Congratulations!

I voted probably Not. The reason is things can change. I know how hard that is to believe but they can. I was married before and during that marriage recieved framed honors and certificates. When the marriage went South I hated seeing his name attached to mine and swore I would never take another man's name.

I have been married to my current husband 14 years and we have different last names. I have never regretted the decision and it's only difficult in things like Christmas Cards. My parents and some people who write letters send things to me in the mail with his last name behind my first name but I don't let it bother me.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Aaron's mom

I am really not sure my guys last name is Wisniewski
Old 12-25-2004, 02:13 AM
The Phoenixx Rises

I would definetely take his. Maybe it would be more of an issue with me if I didn't hate my current last name so much. It is short-3 letters, everyone screws it up, with spelling/pronunciation, and it reminds me too much of my loser father. So I would happily take his last name.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:05 AM
Me and Mr. Jones

Default Name Change

As You can see i already call myself mrs. jones and i have since i had it tattooed on my arm shortly after i turned 17... we getting married january 12th and i will be getting a name change so quick i wont blink twice i am so excited to officially be mrs. jones and what is so sexy about his last name is that he will be able to sing... me and mrs.. mrs. jones we got this thing going on....

There's is nothing God Can't Do, Including bringing my Baby Home~~~ 11/07
Old 12-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Super Duper Admin

PTO Diamond Award Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,492 Times in 5,559 Posts

I have to be honest and say i voted probably not... Please understand I love this man with everything i have, but to me... I dont need a piece of paper and a change of name to tell me that i can love someone. I know a lot of people want the marriage thing and to many it is a symbol of how deep their love goes, commitment and all that kind of thing. I can honestly say that I respect everyones opinion on this. We all have our own dreams with regard to those we love. I just dont think that having a piece of paper and name change can make me love the man i love any more or less. I dont think that marriage can make me any more committed or devoted than I already am. I have explained this to my man, and I know that he will respect my opinion on this. I have been married and so has he, and hell once bitten... but then again my opinion is not for everyone, and some marriages do last forever. Marriage does not make you or your man faithful, it does not prevent anything. I guess for those wanting kids, it is a good thing, only because society has taught us that people who have kids should be married. To be honest this is my life, and society be damned. I already got kids. This is only my opinion.

PTO Administrator
Old 12-27-2004, 10:19 AM
º° Princess °º

I'm changing my name on Friday (not to his, lol, I'm taking my mom's last name)
and last night when I was thinking about the whole thing I decided that say we do get married when he's in, I do want to change my name, but I would never be able to tell my family we were married until he got out, when we would have another wedding for all them - then I PROBABLY WILL change my name, but only then ...
Old 12-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Go Packers!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the wedding!!

I will NEVER change my name-it means way too much to me, I have to wonder if all or some who answered yes if there father was there for them?- Does that make since...
Regardless of that I wouldn't change my name because of the reasons it actually began... Women weren't asked to change there name it had to be-the husband now owned her like he owned slaves- thats the main reason I am against it...
My ex-who is in jail- always said if we got married he woud take mine, he knew how I was against it... I believe him, we have been split for a year now and he just got my last name on his back- under my first which has been there!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:56 PM

I really cannot wait to take my fiance's last name. As soon as I get our marriage license and everything is official I will definitely be making the changes ASAP!! AHHHH! I just can't wait!!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysgirl
With a name like SCARY...so different, who wouldn't...It's the topic of conversation everytime I take my kids to the doctors....

Thats to funny......but cute
The Following User Says Thank You to itzmydestiny For This Useful Post:
dana_567 (07-03-2011)
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JoNes
As You can see i already call myself mrs. jones and i have since i had it tattooed on my arm shortly after i turned 17... we getting married january 12th and i will be getting a name change so quick i wont blink twice i am so excited to officially be mrs. jones and what is so sexy about his last name is that he will be able to sing... me and mrs.. mrs. jones we got this thing going on....
You go girl, thats funny I was singing that song as I was reading your post
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 PM
"Beloved"

Quote:
Originally Posted by offenderlover
No question about it, I would absolutely take his last name. He already refers to me with his last name, because we are already married in our hearts.

offenderlover
that's my answer exactly. he is already my hubby in my heart and he refers to me as his wife. i will definitely want to change my name for the sake of our children (present and future). the PARKER family!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 09:25 PM
hiswoman

when my man writes to me he puts his last name after mine in "s
Old 12-27-2004, 09:29 PM

I cannot wait to have his last name, I currently use my middle initial with my last name(which is my ex-husbands name) and I plan to use my full first, middle names with his last name cause it sounds really good together.
I had a father who was a deadbeat, alcoholic who abused my mom and tried that denying paternity B.S. so his name didn't mean jack to me. I think it is different if someone loves their father and his family and knows the family history, I know how his family was and he was so I can't wait for my fiancee and I to be married and I can become Mrs. Fletcher.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,182 Posts

When we got married i toook his last name immediately. My mom and her husband despised him and told me that they wouldnt hellp me with anything if i stayed with him .. This after meeting him for 2 mins and not talking to him . He didnt like my husband for he has tattoos . which is so stupid but then he talked to my mom and told her all kinds of things.

To me i felt as though i wasnt going to withhold it from them for i felt the longer i did not tell them the more it would hurt them that i took that long for them too know.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:52 AM
2008 Club Member #8

I will be finally changing everything over next week.. I was trying to wait till the first of the year before i did it, and we are still within 30days of us getting married.. but I am finally getting pretty exciting, and those that do not know yet soon will!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 AM

I changed my name the day after. I had a certified copy of our cert so DMV and SSA didnt give me any problems, neither did the bank when I went down and changed my name and added him to the account.. now my checks say my name and his.. OH and when I changed all my credit cards over they asked if I would like a card for him too!! I was like ummm YEAH!!! Now my hubby is establishing credit while he still sits in that place... I am so happy!

Old 12-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Still kicking...

Red face

In less time then it takes for a heartbeat!! He already referrs to me as "his wife" to the other inmates when they ask who his visit was with or who the thick envelope is from and I already use his last name as part of my user name here (Whicker) and on Yahoo and my email address! I can't wait to be Mrs. Whicker... and love it when people accidently think that I am and call me that now...

Old 12-28-2004, 07:40 PM
My baby is home!!!!

I wouldnt even let the ink dry LOL
Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Account Closed

Red face

Most definitely I would take my husband's name, and once our vows were exchanged and I got the marriage license/certificate I made it happen.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsgirl
I wouldnt even let the ink dry LOL

to cute
Old 12-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Question Authority!

My husband and I got married two years ago while he's in and he has 5 more years to go. I haven't changed my name. It's kinda complicated but I didn't even have the money to pick up our marriage certificates for months!! I got one for him and one for me. Then we were having problems and I thought we might be getting an annulment so I didn't. Now I think I'm just afraid to. I don't know. I don't want to keep my ex-husbands name but I just haven't gone and done it all.