Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:34 PM

have anyone ever heard of marriage by proxy and if you did, would DOC accept it in Florida since it is considered legal in al 50 states
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabos_bride
We have been approved by Tallahassee, but I can not find a way to get the marriage license. I've spoke with 6 surrounding counties, and they all tell me that we both have to be in front of the Clerk to sign. If someone can help me, I would be forever greatful!!!
Okay I have contacted Escambia county court house and what you will have to have is what is called a Out license it is at a cost of 98.50 which you will have to pay for when you get it. You will send your other half papers etc to be notirized basically stating he read the florida handbook, and then you bring it back to them, it is not a license until you get the paperwork they want back to them. Then in turn will then issue the license with a expiration date and then you have to either get a notory or minister to validate it. I am working on my marriage right now I am looking for a notory since I have full power of attorney over him plus affidavid of his concent to be married anyhow good luck I am hoping to be up there on Monday to check in person if I can get away from work since it is a hour drive so I will keep you updated
Old 04-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Circumstances mean alot

I have a Q about the liscence will it have that he is currently incarcerated and where? If so then I know I wouldnt want that! I will just wait for him to come home in Dec 2006 then!

Do they have notaries there?

What would be the total average amount for the whole marriage thing?

I dont know which one he will be at as of yet, he is still in Osceola Co jail! He was sentenced on March 23 2006!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 AM

i am so happy i found this site i have been going crazy for months now trying to find out how me and my boyfriend of 2 years can get married. He's starting to think that maybe i dont want to get married but i do and i have been trying everything calling everywhere and no one ever gives me any answers i have printed out the pdf file and i am going to get to the bottom of this WE WILL GET MARRIED. he is still in florida county jail. Metro West. do these same steps still apply or is this for prison only . i hope not. Someone please help me im going crazy not knowing what to do
Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

Default ANYONE recently marry at USP Coleman 1 Florida?

After 23 yrs of looking for my lost love from 1984 due to my Air Force career..I found him in Coleman 1 with 29 months to go...We want to finally get married because we should have back in 1984... Anyrate, If anyone has recently gotten married there and knows of a Justice of the Peace I need one..And where in Florida could you get your license without him present? I am in Arizona so will have to make a trip with little time to figure this out once in Florida. Most info is several years old that is why I am asking...Thanks for any info. I finally found my honey I am not letting him go again nor is he letting me go again! PAM LOVES TOMMY!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

OK Brevard County FL will issue inmates a marriage license..They will also MAIL it to you etc..I called them today since I am in AZ..they are the ones! Tommy found out from other inmates that said Brevard will give you a license, no other counties I called will help you with a license as both mbrs of the wedding party have to be PRESENT... Here is teh Number if anyone else is trying to get married to an inmate in prison in FL..Brevard COunty Clerk of COurt Marriage License 321-637-2000. We are just waiting on his divorce papers as he has no clue when he was even divorced..please lord tell me he is divorced...DRUGS really SUCK....he has no clue of almost 10 years of his life he was so strung out...Prison saved his life....I am thankful for that! But it is HARD to marry an inmate I am finding...
Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 AM
5 more years to go

Default weddings in fl

I have done it . ask if you have any questions
Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 AM
Johns Wife Forever

John and I used to the brevard marriage license by mail, was very impressed its a bit of a hassle getting all the signatures and mailing it back and forth, but its worth it once its done
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Today I got the email to send your questions on marriage licensing in Fl to inmates..I am just waiting on vital records with his divorce papers...the warden wants to SEE the divorce papers not just the date....just more hoops to jump through....

MarriageLicenseInformation@BrevardClerk.US
Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Garys Lady E

I also would like to have some more recent info about the rules for a prison wedding in Florida. My Honey (of 11 years in December 2008) and I have wanted to get married most of those years. Because of different personal problems (mine,mainly) through the years, we have put it off different times. We already feel as though we are husband and wife and refer to each other as such. We know we will be together forever and would love to have our union made legal.

If anyone has any more recent information such as the cost, the license, the rules and process of getting married in the Florida DOC, please let us know.

Thank you all very much for the posts.
Hugs and God bless,
GarysLadyE

P.S. GOOD LUCK PAM & TOMMY!!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 AM

garyslady..you might want to check in FL forum..I am sure there are plenty of ladies that can help you. I have a friend who got married down in FL..

Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 AM

WOW! This is alot of stuff!! Is it easier to get married in Co. jail before they go to prison????
Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
HAPPiLY MARRiED;|041210|*

Post Do i need his picture id [??]

hello all! I just got my request to marry paper in the mail yesterday & i am sooo excited.. I do have a quick question;;
does anyone know if i will need his picture id when i go to apply for the marriage license? Or can i just have his birth certificate & social security number??
he lost his id a while back & never got around to getting a new one before he got arrested!
any information will be greatly appreciated!
thank you & god bless!
-kelbo's wife

Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

YOU NEED A PICTURE ID...Mine send me a Copy of his Federal ID..that the officer put a raised seal on to show authentic..I have yet to send our license info into the state but it is all signed..no need to send it in if you do not have anyone to marry you yet as it expires in 60 days..I am waiting on the notary to get on my boyfriends visiting list..she sent the forms in and they are on lockdown now anyway could not do it yet now anyway..so when they get her on his visiting list we are making arrangements fo the ceremony on a MON/FRI when they allow it at Coleman USP 1...
When I send it in to FL they should have to accept his photo ID from FED PRISON that is his only ID these days and it should be legal...I will let ou know what they say to me when I send it in for our actual permit...You will have to also go to Brevard CO website to get a license if he is not out..they send it to you in the mail..you may know that already.. Pam
Old 11-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELO'SWiFE View Post
hello all! I just got my request to marry paper in the mail yesterday & i am sooo excited.. I do have a quick question;;
does anyone know if i will need his picture id when i go to apply for the marriage license? Or can i just have his birth certificate & social security number??
he lost his id a while back & never got around to getting a new one before he got arrested!
any information will be greatly appreciated!
thank you & god bless!
-kelbo's wife
print a screen print of his DOC web site... take it to your clerk's office and ask them to take it back and see if they can use that as his ID along with his birth certificate do not call them go there and talk to them.. make sure that you print the section that has his name and picture with his date of birth AND the date that the page has updated. ie: (This information was current as of 10/26/2008) also make sure that you have the DOC web site url in the printing.. if you don't know how to do this.... you hold the right Alt key with the Printscreen/Sysrq key then open a word program or paint program and paste it to that program and then print it out..

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

The Following User Says Thank You to or-mtwt For This Useful Post:
KELO'SWiFE (11-03-2008)
Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 PM

Can someone please let me know exactly how this process works, because I have heard to many stories? According to the Chaplain at the facility the paper work is in Tallahassee. Now does the Chaplain send you a response or do Tallahassee send you the response in the mail? It has almost been a month since the paperwork has been in Tallahassee and I still haven't heard anything. Does the process usually take this long once it reach Tallahassee? This waiting period is killing me. Can someone please let me know how it works from this point.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 AM

Florida takes their time. You can call Tallahassee and they will most likely refer you back to the facility. It does take time. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz. Tin View Post
Can someone please let me know exactly how this process works, because I have heard to many stories? According to the Chaplain at the facility the paper work is in Tallahassee. Now does the Chaplain send you a response or do Tallahassee send you the response in the mail? It has almost been a month since the paperwork has been in Tallahassee and I still haven't heard anything. Does the process usually take this long once it reach Tallahassee? This waiting period is killing me. Can someone please let me know how it works from this point.

Thanks in advance.
it all depends on what the process the prison goes by... but with Sumter CI the Chaplain came out and told us on Sunday when he came out to do the Sunday services and gave us the paper that was signed by the asst. warden that said that we had been approved... depending on how your husband has been while in prison is how long it will take to be approved. It can take as long as a 6 months or as short as 37 days from the day that the request has been put in, (as ours did).. it all depends on where he is at... I am sorry to say and no two approvals are the same...

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

Last edited by or-mtwt; 11-03-2008 at 08:15 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to or-mtwt For This Useful Post:
Mz. Tin (11-03-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,545 Times in 3,575 Posts

While it is true that your loved one has to be DR free for atleast 1 year to apply for marriage, his history has no bearing on how long the approval process takes. Our approval took 6 months, but that was due to numerous mistakes by the facility he was at and not because he had ever been in trouble because he had been DR free for several years. It all depends on how willing the Chaplain at your facility is to help expedite the process.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
HAPPiLY MARRiED;|041210|*

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WENT THROUGH BREVARD TO GET YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE THROUGH MAIL, HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT IT?
WHAT'S THE PROCESS?
& WHAT'S THE COST NOW?
THANKS!
- KELBO'SWiFE

Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam158 View Post
i suppose that a person on probation or with a record would not pass the 2a part huh???
What is part 2a? I have a prior record. Will this make it impossible for us to marry?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,545 Times in 3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
33-503.002 Marriage of an Inmate While Incarcerated.

(1) Procedure for Requesting Permission to Marry. Requests to marry while incarcerated must be submitted to the warden in writing by both parties. The written requests must include:

(a) Statement of desire to marry from both parties.

(b) A statement of approval from the parents or guardian of all parties under eighteen (18) years of age.

(c) A statement from a chaplain or other staff member as designated by the chaplain indicating that the inmate and the proposed spouse have received information concerning the parameters of marriage in the institutional setting.

(2) Procedure for Consideration of Request.

(a) If a psychological and security evaluation indicates that the marriage of the inmate will not pose a threat to the inmate's security or the security and order of the institution nor to public safety, a written recommendation from the staff psychologist and the correctional officer chief shall be submitted to the warden.

(b) The warden shall forward the recommendation along with the items listed in rule 33-503.002(2) to the chaplaincy services administrator.

(c) The chaplaincy services administrator shall review the request for compliance with this rule and forward it with his findings to the secretary or his designee.

(d) The secretary or his designee shall make the final decision as to whether the marriage presents a threat to the security or order of the institution or to public safety. The warden or his designated representative shall advise the parties in writing of the decision and the basis for the decision.

(3) Procedure for Marriage. If an inmate is permitted to marry while incarcerated, the following shall be followed:

(a) The inmate and spouse shall be responsible for making all arrangements in keeping with the statutes governing marriage in the State of Florida.

(b) If the inmate is not a participant in a supervised release or furlough program, the proposed spouse is responsible for the following:

1. Making the application for the marriage license and arrangements for necessary forms to be sent to the inmate for application.

2. Making arrangements for the ceremony.

3. All costs involved.

(c) If the inmate will not be furloughed, the department is responsible for the following:

1 Arranging for the inmate to have an opportunity to finalize the marriage license application in keeping with the statutes governing marriage in the State of Florida.

2. Arranging for a suitable place for the marriage ceremony to be conducted at the institution, and an authorized person to conduct it.

3. Returning completed marriage license to county judge after completion of marriage ceremony.

(4) In order to minimize the impact of the ceremony on security, marriage ceremonies shall be of a limited nature. The extent of the individual ceremony shall be limited by the warden consistent with the maintenance of proper security and welfare of the institution.

Specific Authority 20.315, 944.09 FS. Law Implemented 944.09 FS. History--New 1-29-81, Formerly 33-3.13, Amended 4-18-82, 5-21-89, 3-24-91, 4-23-91, Formerly 33-3.013.
See above in bold, although I don't know if being on probation falls under security risk.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
Todd's Angel (06-08-2009)
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM

Luckily I am not on proabtion! And I spoke to the chaplain today and as soon as I am an approved visitor which will be after I've been out for 2 years (Oct 1, 2010). We can proceed. Another 15 months... no biggie! Thanks for the help!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Mike's Queen

Does anyone know if u can still get approved for marriage even if ur on felony probation n havent gotten approved for visitation
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM
BayBayWife

Default State of Florida Prison Weddings

I am posting this thread to ask a question for those who are in the process or who have already gotten married to someone in the state of Florida prison system. I like to know how long did it take for the paperwork to get approved from the Chaplin supervisor in Tallahassee? Is there someone I can speak to about the status? If so do you have the contact info? Thank you in Advance