Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Help! My man's having drug dreams

I got a letter from him today and he told me that he has been wanting to tell me something but didn't want to seem weak..... He's been having dope dreams.... dreams so real that he can feel it and taste it. He says that he lays in bed at night and he starts to dream about shooting dope and he can feel it and taste it and he will break out into a sweat.... Please, tell me, are there any articles I can read? Any websites that can help us through this? He has 10 more months to serve and I want to get him all the help that I can while he's in to make him stronger when he gets out.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I am back yet again

My dad is a recovering addict and alcoholic and he says those dreams are very normal for addicts...people have them for years sometimes....he says they feel so real that it'a like you are really their. Is he working a program right now? If not i would send him some books from AA and or NA...ASAP
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 PM
loving our daddy

My Husband Is A Recovering Addict And In The System And To Be Honest Has Had A Hard Time Being Cool... But He Is On The Right Track Now... It Is Something He Has To Want... You Cant Help Him... He Might Want To Try Going To Some Na Meetings... They Have Them There So>??? It Cant Hurt And He Can Mention This To The People In The Meetings And They Can Offer Him Support

Is it 2015 yet???

Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,185 Times in 495 Posts

My ex had them while in prison as well but as far as I know he is still clean 2 years after coming home

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 04-27-2007, 08:04 AM

My husband had them whether he was doing drugs or not, the whole 3 years in. Took him about two days to start back up when he got home.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I have had several extended periods of sobriety in my life, each followed by a short relapse. During each sober period, I found that around six months or so in I started having "using dreams", during which I was drinking and feeling absolutely horrible at having "failed". The relief on awakening and finding they had only been dreams was incredible.

I believe such dreams mark the point at which your brain has started to learn to regulate its own chemicals again but is still a bit uncertain about the process. The fact that I didn't enjoy the dreams serves as a fine reminder of how I genuinely feel about the idea of touching a drop of alcohol. It's been a long time since the last dream, and far longer than that since I've had a drink.

Anyway, I would take them as a good sign.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Banned

Default Try Alanon

Have you ever thought about going to a group called Alanon? It is for familys/friends of addicts and it can help answer a lot of your questions concerns.

Drug dreams are normal
Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Someday

Have him start NA right away! and yes as someone said earlier Drug dreams are very normal! I would find an outpatient Rehab center, and suggest that he attends when he gets out...I would also have him talk to his realse counsler about this (not sure if he has one or not, mine will!). Outpatient isn't the best, but it is better than nothing! This will also help him do little things liek change his number...and stuff most of us don't think of to help him stay clean...I highly suggest it.